Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why don't I ever see these....?

Originally posted by Face View Post
    Another gripe. When using this amp in my HT rig, hooked up to the balanced outputs of a Marantz processor, the noise floor jumps up significantly when the Crown is powered on. There is high pitched buzz and also a hum through my speakers and subs. When used on the LFE out it's not as bad, but when connected to the L&R out it's a real issue. I doubt it's a ground loop as everything is on the same dedicated outlet and power conditioner, and without the power conditioner it's even worse.

I would say it is a ground loop but probably not external to your equipment. I suspect either the Crown or the Marantz have a significant difference in where they sit in relation to 0V or ground. Question is does one have an issue or is it inherent to their design. The only other issue would be that you have an RFI issue which should be present on balanced or unbalanced connections.

This assumes you have tested all your cables etc... which I figure you have.
    Dave

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
    If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by Face View Post
      Another gripe. When using this amp in my HT rig, hooked up to the balanced outputs of a Marantz processor, the noise floor jumps up significantly when the Crown is powered on. There is high pitched buzz and also a hum through my speakers and subs. When used on the LFE out it's not as bad, but when connected to the L&R out it's a real issue. I doubt it's a ground loop as everything is on the same dedicated outlet and power conditioner, and without the power conditioner it's even worse.
      I get a lot of noise coming in through the "cable-TV" coax cable. When I connect it to my stereo it creates the same problem that you're describing. Try this: unplug the coax cable that feeds the cable TV signal into your HT system. Does all the noise suddenly disappear? If yes, your have two options: float the third wire, ground connection on your power cable. Or buy a transformer that isolates the signal (and noise) coming from the cable-TV coax cable.
      ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
      Sapphos
      Cables (Post #54)
      Other speakers (Post #21)
      Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
      Boundary Augmentation
      Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Originally posted by ReissM View Post
        I get a lot of noise coming in through the "cable-TV" coax cable. When I connect it to my stereo it creates the same problem that you're describing. Try this: unplug the coax cable that feeds the cable TV signal into your HT system. Does all the noise suddenly disappear? If yes, your have two options: float the third wire, ground connection on your power cable. Or buy a transformer that isolates the signal (and noise) coming from the cable-TV coax cable.
        Good point I had a similar issue with a DirecTV box and solved it using an optical cable instead of an analog connection but this was in a 2 channel set up. I now have all digital audio signals until my final amp with the exception of the subwoofer outputs. A bit ironic that is balanced outputs create more noise than his unbalanced outputs.
        Dave

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
        If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran

Comment

I have the Crown XLS 1000 and 1500, both used for subs.
          I can't hear a thing from them and I'm very sensitive to fan noise.

The only thing I don't like is there is no trigger to power on.
          I might try one of those Belkin power strips that trigger based on another device turning on in the power strip.

Comment

Originally posted by dthomas View Post
            I would say it is a ground loop but probably not external to your equipment. I suspect either the Crown or the Marantz have a significant difference in where they sit in relation to 0V or ground. Question is does one have an issue or is it inherent to their design. The only other issue would be that you have an RFI issue which should be present on balanced or unbalanced connections.

This assumes you have tested all your cables etc... which I figure you have.
            Cables are fine, they(Mogami Gold) were dead silent in my other rig. It could be possible there is still some sort of ground issue, I may run a cable between the Marantz, Crown, and conditioners cases. This may have been non issue if it weren't for me installing much more sensitive speakers recently...

Originally posted by ReissM View Post
            I'll give this a whirl, but don't have my hopes up as there's a fiber optic run to the house. Unless the optical/coax converter box in the garage, which is on it's own line also, is creating a loop. I had a high bandwidth coax isolation transformer in series when I had cable, but removed it when I upgraded to FIOS. Now that I've installed much more sensitive speakers(94db opposed to 85ish), maybe it was there all along, but not very noticeable.
            Originally posted by fwiler View Post
            I have the Crown XLS 1000 and 1500, both used for subs.
            I can't hear a thing from them and I'm very sensitive to fan noise.

The only thing I don't like is there is no trigger to power on.
            I might try one of those Belkin power strips that trigger based on another device turning on in the power strip.
            The XLS amps are known to be quieter than the XTi.
            "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Working...
            X