PC for rear surrounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC for rear surrounds

I'm building a 4.1 for my friend using my old c-killas for the mains and some sort of 8" sub tbd. I have the parts for Wolf's PC, would they work as the rear surrounds? I have never owned a HT reciever, but don't they have the ability to level match, given the sensitivity diference between the 2? Thanks.

Steve

EDIT: The c-killas have an estimated sensitivity of 81db, maybe they will be a good match, not sure of the PC's sensitivity. Any input?

Re: PC for rear surrounds

Ive been thinking of a ultra budget 5.1 using wolfs pc's. id like to hear more about it if anyone has any input

Comment

I`m currently using those as my rear surrounds. My setup is in my bedroom though 12x12 and I think they do well. Most of the movies I`ve watched didn`t have as much info for the surround channels as I thought they would. 90 percent were more ambient cues than anything, barring the occasional helicopter fly around.

Before I hooked them up as surrounds I tested them on music and they were excellent for what they are and especially what they cost.

I say go for it.

Comment

It all depends on the movies you watch. Some of the "Action" movies (shoot-em-up's) have lot's of rear channel stuff, most others don't. If you aren't trying to match theater sound levels, the PC's should be OK until if and when you think you want to upgrade. The PC's limitations are input power, therefore maximum SPL (just under 92 dB as I recall) and bass extension. They are fine desktop computer speakers, or other close field speakers (his design goal), but a single Aura NS3-193-8 (I have some in computer speakers myself) have problems "filling a room" with sound beyond about 6 feet. We're talking about a 72mm driver, and it just doesn't move enough air beyond a certain point. For a budget 5.0 (you'll have to get your own sub) I'd suggest Johnny Richard's Cabrini's. They are VERY easy to build, and very easy on the wallet, and sound better than they have any right to for the price. They are shown over in the Speaker Gallery.
        Videsh, using the PC's as rears in a 12 x 12 bedroom just about confirms my experience with a single Aura. My computer speakers have a "zone" where they sound very good, and it's about 6 feet from them. Beyond that, the bass (and mine are ported mini towers) starts to sound "thin". I'm NOT putting down Wolf's PC design or the Aura speaker. I haven't listened to Wolf's PC myself, so I'm projecting somewhat, but at some point, you may become dissatisfied with the limitations of a single small driver. YMMV.

Comment

I agree with Whitneyville, for a smaller HT with reasonable volume expectations, they would work out fine. Use the AVR to limit bass going to them and keep volume sane.
          Another, similar option is LouC's ManCave surrounds. they are essentially a double PC.

http://speakers.lonesaguaro.com/spea...Surrounds.html

I use Wolf's PCs for my work desktop music and another set for a fishing cabin music setup, and they function great for those. Lepai amps used in both scenarios.

Andy.

Comment

I have a complete 5.1 in my MBR with the PC's & the Boogieman under the bed for the .1 - they will surprise you if you set your receiver to small.
            Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

Working...
            X