ps-180-8 vifa bc25sc06-4 two-way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ps-180-8 vifa bc25sc06-4 two-way

this is a build formerly with the ox20 vifa. the ox20 just couldnt keep up with the ps180. i made a change after hearing several iterations at iowadiy. very nice sounding tweeter.
    i routed out the little waveguide i had made for the ox20 and while i was at it, i wraped the inclosure with faux black leather. i'll post some pice later.
    measured this morning in box. had a good fight with my wt3......i won!
    what i have so far. fourth order electrical 4bw @2800, third order electrical [email protected] my only concern is the low impedence on the tweet.
    i left the raw drivers turned on so you could see what i had to deal with.

" To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Re: ps-180-8 vifa bc25sc06-4 two-way

" To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

Comment

Should be a winner Lowell, I really liked what I heard in the midrange on the Dayton.
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Very cool, that is a classy looking cabinet. I've always wanted to try something like that, Sonus Faber cabinets always catch my eye.
        Your results may vary.

Comment

Hi Lowell,

That BC25 tweeter is very efficient, so it need a lot of padding to get down to the level of the PS180. With your low impedance, I am guessing you have a pretty small resistor (3 or 4 ohms) in parallel with the tweeter. You could experiment with a couple of things:

1. increase both the series and parallel resistance on your tweeter L-pad.
          2. Take out the parallel resistor altogether and put a series resistor before the high pass network.

If you do this, some of your other high pass values will likely change, but hopefully at least one will work without being too disruptive.
          Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
            very nice sounding tweeter.

what i have so far. fourth order electrical 4bw @2800, third order electrical [email protected] my only concern is the low impedence on the tweet.
            i left the raw drivers turned on so you could see what i had to deal with.

Love the look of the black leather. Very cool.

One question, the tweeter looks like it starts to die at about 13 to 14kHz. Did you measure the tweeter on axis or slightly off axis? Was it measured at tweeter height or woofer height?

Scottsehlin has some good suggestions to increase the tweeter impedance. It might involve some minor changes to your filter though.

The Z phase looks to be ok in the range where the impedance drops to below 4 ohms so that's a good thing.
            ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
            Sapphos
            Cables (Post #54)
            Other speakers (Post #21)
            Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
            Boundary Augmentation
            Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Thanks..
              At this point there is no padding at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ReissM View Post
                Love the look of the black leather. Very cool.

One question, the tweeter looks like it starts to die at about 13 to 14kHz. Did you measure the tweeter on axis or slightly off axis? Was it measured at tweeter height or woofer height?

Scottsehlin has some good suggestions to increase the tweeter impedance. It might involve some minor changes to your filter though.

The Z phase looks to be ok in the range where the impedance drops to below 4 ohms so that's a good thing.
                I measured on axis at one meter. I will investigate further though.

Comment

That's odd you're not using any padding on the tweeter. I've found I need to use quite a lot of padding as that tweeter is really efficient.
                  That woofer stays really smooth up there...not many woofers can do that. Are those woofers still made?
                  Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
                  Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
                  Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
                  Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
                  Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

Originally posted by jsr View Post
                    That's odd you're not using any padding on the tweeter. I've found I need to use quite a lot of padding as that tweeter is really efficient.
                    Lowell: Is there any chance that the volume knob was adjusted in between testing the tweeter and the woofer? I don't have first hand experience with these drivers, I'm just throwing out a possible explanation for your discrepancy with jsr.
                    ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
                    Sapphos
                    Cables (Post #54)
                    Other speakers (Post #21)
                    Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
                    Boundary Augmentation
                    Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Lowell, those look sweet and feel free to drop them off anytime for an extended stay at my house :D . I can see why you have no padding on the tweeter with the specs. for the ps180 - Specifications: • Power handling: 30 watts RMS/60 watts max • VCdia: 1" • Le: 0.69 mH • Impedance: 8 ohms • Re: 6.32 ohms • Frequency range: 48-25,000 Hz • Fs: 48.2 Hz • SPL: 94.7 dB 1W/1m • Vas: 1.43 cu. ft. • Qms: 3.86 • Qes: 0.24 • Qts: 0.23 • Xmax: 4.6 mm • Dimensions: Overall diameter: 7.09", Cutout diameter: 5.71", Depth: 3.06". Maybe you need an even hotter tweeter than the bc25 with 96 db 2.83v/1m.

I was thinking this might make a good mid for a TMWW and with johnny's post about the midrange, what are your thoughts about using it as a mid?
                      Jeff

Comment

reiss, yes its possible. i was trying to merge nearfield and well. and to be honest the fr on pcd shows it going down alot now, but omnimic likes it. tommarow ill try to get the other finished so i can listen to two.
                        jsr, they are in the current flyer.
                        peepaj, whats the little women cookin for dinner? ;)

Comment

well i still have a little dip around 2.8k but this at least looks a bunch better. the thing is, it is not in agreement with pcd. kind of wondering about the mic calibration.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                            well i still have a little dip around 2.8k
                            *looks at the scale of the graph*
                            *looks at the graph*
                            *blinks*

Right, little Is that even 2 db? I mean sure that is likely going to be audible given the location (in the 2k to 4k range) but I doubt its going to be anything glaring. +/-2db from 500 and up is no small thing is what I'm thinking.
                            Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
                            Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

I can understand the woofer rated at 94.7dB/m being quite a bit lower in baffle due to the baffle step, but the tweeter shouldn't be that low when rated at 96dB/m. Not much being affected by the baffle step at frequencies above 3kHz. Can someone explain to me?...I'm not seeing it.
                              Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
                              Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
                              Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
                              Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
                              Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

Working...
                              X