Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In the works: and as yet un-named monitor speaker.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the works: and as yet un-named monitor speaker.

Using the Vifa NE19 silk dome and MCM Audio Select 55-2669. I chose the tweeter because I had a pair I bought before neo prices started jumping. The woofer I chose because it has a killer frame and otherwise very nice features.

(excuse some of the pictures, cell-phone garage kind of thing)

The port is 1-1/2" PVC which is actually around 1-5/8" ID, mounted from the back and rounded over, old school style:

I am also working on knocking some of the baffle influence out of the tweeter as well as getting it flush mounted, I used 1/4" peel and stick felt from Wally World:

Guys, the MCM woofer is a winner. It is all the slightly smaller, round one I used in Amara is (-3870) and then some. Very sensitive for its size and good excursion potential thanks to the Xmax and superior frame. It is lower in distortion than the -3870, especially in the bass region. About the same price, as well. Here is the ungated response plus distortion on the 7-1/2" x 12" baffle, quasi- flush mounted with the felt, 1/2" roundover, centered 5" from the bottom:

That is the actual SPL level I took that at. It went to hell shortly after that, and it went in a hurry which has been my (limited) experience with aluminum drivers. It was already much louder than I was comfortable with at this point, though.

Working prototype crossover results:

The above is a second order electrical on the woofer with a small cap across the coil to tank out the breakup region, and a 4th order electrical on the tweeter. The tweeter really wants to bend into a 2nd order LR around 2300 so I may go that route in the future, but it still looks very promising as-is.

Just because:

That is my daughter and my mother hammering out some tunes. We went out west last weekend to visit with my dying grandfather, but there is always time for music
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Re: In the works: and as yet un-named monitor speaker.

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    That is the actual SPL level I took that at. It went to hell shortly after that, and it went in a hurry which has been my (limited) experience with aluminum drivers.

"Went to hell in a hurry"... Do you mean the sound quality, or the driver actually self destructed from pushing it too far? Either way is bad news. So are you still moving forward with this woofer? If yes, what are your plans to remedy this issue? Thanks.
    ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
    Sapphos
    Cables (Post #54)
    Other speakers (Post #21)
    Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
    Boundary Augmentation
    Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Originally posted by ReissM View Post
      "Went to hell in a hurry"... Do you mean the sound quality, or the driver actually self destructed from pushing it too far? Either way is bad news. So are you still moving forward with this woofer? If yes, what are your plans to remedy this issue? Thanks.
      You are looking at the wrong graph. He measured them at ~100 db, which is about all you can reasonably expect from this size of cone in that size of box. Not really bad news.
      Don't even try
      to sort out the lies
      it's worse to try to understand.

Comment

What DIYguy said.

It has just been my experience that metal cone woofers do not creep up on high distortion, rather they simply go from nice to crap in a few db increase in volume.

Comment

Nice build, I like that driver. Have you measured the T/S parameters? Mine liked a fairly small box. How much did the felt improve things? That woofer is a sure winner at less than $20.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
            It has just been my experience that metal cone woofers do not creep up on high distortion, rather they simply go from nice to crap in a few db increase in volume.
            Ahhh, ok. I understand. Can I use this opportunity to learn from your experiences?

Do all cone materials 'overload' like this or is it typically just the metal cones (aluminum, magnesium, titanium, etc...) that exhibit this behavior?

It's too bad there isn't some type of thin layer of damping that could be sprayed on to help with the ringing without adding very much to the moving-mass of the driver. Like trying to dampen a bell with some Dynamat material, except this would be very lightly sprayed onto the metal cone. Almost like spray-paint but specially made for absorbing vibrations. Seems reasonable... what do you think?
            ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
            Sapphos
            Cables (Post #54)
            Other speakers (Post #21)
            Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
            Boundary Augmentation
            Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Ahhh, ok. I understand. Can I use this opportunity to learn from your experiences?

Do all cone materials 'overload' like this or is it typically just the metal cones (aluminum, magnesium, titanium, etc...) that exhibit this behavior?

It's too bad there isn't some type of thin layer of damping that could be sprayed on to help with the ringing without adding very much to the moving-mass of the driver. Like trying to dampen a bell with some Dynamat material, except this would be very lightly sprayed onto the metal cone. Almost like spray-paint but specially made for absorbing vibrations. Seems reasonable... what do you think?
              I do not know if all cone materials do this, but the three aluminum drivers I have played with all kind of did it. The poly cones I have used seemed to exceed their limits more gracefully, but I could tell they were getting close because they seem to rise in distortion as they get louder at a faster rate than stiffer materials.

But, this is just my experience with certain drivers, I would say driver material has as much to do with it as motor geometry and other sciency things.

Comment

Looks like another winner jr. You are pushing em out like a duggar lol!

That last pic is timeless btw. Those are the times that matter the most.
                https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
                  Looks like another winner jr. You are pushing em out like a duggar lol!

That last pic is timeless btw. Those are the times that matter the most.
                  yep.
                  " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                  Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                  http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

What is the cabinet volume? Do you think these are better than the 3870's?

Comment

Originally posted by domwilson View Post
                      What is the cabinet volume? Do you think these are better than the 3870's?
                      I said they are better than the 3870's... Right up there ^

Want the rest? Stay tuned...

Comment

Originally posted by chrisn View Post
                        Nice build, I like that driver. Have you measured the T/S parameters? Mine liked a fairly small box. How much did the felt improve things? That woofer is a sure winner at less than $20.
                        Yes I did, and actually the felt is a tweeter favor not a woofer favor...

PM for T/s on the woofer.

Comment

Hey Johnny,
                          How are these coming along? Any updates?

Comment

Originally posted by domwilson View Post
                            Hey Johnny,
                            How are these coming along? Any updates?
                            Slowly but surely. Busy with work right now so not a lot of time to do anything.

Comment

Interesting project. I'm surprised that the little NE19 can take a 2 kHz crossover point - but the distortion plot doesn't seem to show any issues with that.
                              Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

Working...
                              X