Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experience with ROKU for music streaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience with ROKU for music streaming?

Anyone use ROKU for music streaming from computer &/or internet?

I am only interested if I can control it with an ipad or android device without the need to fire up a TV to see what I am doing.

How is the audio quality? As good as Squeezebox hardware?

Thanks,
    Marvin

Re: Experience with ROKU for music streaming?

http://www.roku.com/channels/#!details/2105/mainsqueeze

I've got to do some searching on this.

EDIT: After some searching, it should be pretty easy to set up but the Roku hardware cannot play FLAC or lossless audio, so I would say that it is not nearly as capable as the Squeezebox.

Comment

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php...88774e52e97285

Comment

I hope I don't start a fire here, but if you A/B an MP3 @ 320kbps against a WAV or FLAC, do you think you could tell which is which?

http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2010/04/...en-wav-vs-mp3/

If you can tell the difference, don't go with the ROKU. If you can't tell the difference, maybe the ROKU would work if you can use your phone to control it.

Mike
        "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
        Bismarck, North Dakota
        My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
        My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Comment

I paid the $5 for the Pandora up-grade, and IMO, it's worth it. My cousin gave me his "old" Roku box so his "smart phone" can control his new box. He paid for 5-6 more music channels (not many my style, but I can listen to them in "best" quality). If it comes over the HDMI cable, it is very good sound quality. Not quite really good CD quality (how many CD's are that good?), but "listenable". One "gripe" about most Roku music stations, is you can't repeat tracks, and are limited on how many tracks you can skip in a time period. There is also a noticeably "finite" play list too.

Comment

Originally posted by marvin View Post
            Anyone use ROKU for music streaming from computer &/or internet?

I am only interested if I can control it with an ipad or android device without the need to fire up a TV to see what I am doing.

How is the audio quality? As good as Squeezebox hardware?

Thanks,
            Marvin
            Hi Marvin,

It only lists AAC and MP3's as supported audio formats. I wouldn't bother with any hardware that doesn't support WAV or FLAC. JMHO.

Jim

Comment

I use Roku every day to stream MOG, Pandora and Grooveshark. I find MOG seems to have the best quality streams, and has much of the music I like (they are missing some really obvious things like the Beatles, The Eagles, and Led Zepplin due to licensing agreement issues). The free version of Pandora allows you to setup custom stations with bands that I like, and then it will play those musicians with some like musicians mixed in as a station. For some reason, Pandora doesn't seem to have the same licensing issues that MOG has with the aforementioned groups). Grooveshark has some excellent pre-mixed stations that cover pretty much every genre you would like. Quite honestly, now that I have the Roku, I use it more than the radio and cable television - to the extent that I'm thinking of cutting the cable....

Comment

The ROKU hardware price is attractive compared to Squeezebox hardware, but inability to play WAV files may be a deal breaker for me--I have my music stored as wav files.

The quality of stream is not that important because I am considering this for my wife to stream files and internet radio to her kitchen Cambridge Audio table radio, so 128kb or better should sound fine there. I'm sure she would like to have access to the music files stored on the computer, but I don't really care to duplicate all the wav files as mp3.

BTW, what happened to all the Logitech Squeezebox hardware? Has it all been discontinued? All I see now is the UE devices, which seem more limited in quality.

Comment

Logitech killed the entire Squeeze line.
                  The UE stuff is a paltry substitute imo.
                  They have not announced a real replacemnt strategy, tho there were rumblings one was being considered.
                  Shame, too, the Squeeze line of products was a good start.

The ROKU hardware price is attractive compared to Squeezebox hardware, but inability to play WAV files may be a deal breaker for me--I have my music stored as wav files.

The quality of stream is not that important because I am considering this for my wife to stream files and internet radio to her kitchen Cambridge Audio table radio, so 128kb or better should sound fine there. I'm sure she would like to have access to the music files stored on the computer, but I don't really care to duplicate all the wav files as mp3.

BTW, what happened to all the Logitech Squeezebox hardware? Has it all been discontinued? All I see now is the UE devices, which seem more limited in quality.
                  ~99%
                  Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
                  Make me a poster of an old rodeo
                  Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
                  To believe in this livin' is just a hard way to go

Comment

Not all the "Big Boys" would play nice with Logitech, licensing wise soooo. Pandora is based in Malaysia which isn't a signatory to the Millennium Copyright Act, so Pandora can play very fast and loose with the rules of what they play. There is a music service from Malta that does the same thing, BUT, we can't access it because of Homeland Security. They think (maybe for good reasons) that it's sub-encrypted with messages from ??? There are reasons we don't see web-sites from some places, but don't ask what they are.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbarkto View Post
                      Logitech killed the entire Squeeze line.
                      The UE stuff is a paltry substitute imo.
                      They have not announced a real replacemnt strategy, tho there were rumblings one was being considered.
                      Shame, too, the Squeeze line of products was a good start.
                      So what good audio quality reasonably priced options are available now?

Comment

Nothing that I'm aware of. I've been looking.

So what good audio quality reasonably priced options are available now?
                        ~99%
                        Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
                        Make me a poster of an old rodeo
                        Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
                        To believe in this livin' is just a hard way to go

Comment

Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
                          Not all the "Big Boys" would play nice with Logitech, licensing wise soooo. Pandora is based in Malaysia which isn't a signatory to the Millennium Copyright Act, so Pandora can play very fast and loose with the rules of what they play. There is a music service from Malta that does the same thing, BUT, we can't access it because of Homeland Security. They think (maybe for good reasons) that it's sub-encrypted with messages from ??? There are reasons we don't see web-sites from some places, but don't ask what they are.
                          Pandora is HQ'd in Oakland, CA. Their website shows no offices in Malaysia.

As a SqueezeBox user, I'm pretty disappointed with Logitech's lack of ability to market this product line, too. I suspect that they never could figure out how to position it, as I've never seen it in a retail store, let alone an audio shop, even BB. I've never seen ads, either. The other thing is that it was never the darling of custom installers either, unlike Sonos. The stock access methods (simple button remote or website) are pretty fiddly, but the iPeng app for i-products is awesome. Last, setup can be an issue for impatient, non-technical users. Once these issues are successfully navigated, the Squeezebox is very cool.

Still some see value in this product. Most of the asking prices on eBay for a SqueezeBox Boom are eye popping, and some get that price. If you like the feature set, you can always setup a search in eBay and bid on auctions that interest you.

Hmmm, I think I might need to buy a couple more of SB devices off of eBay.....

Getting back to the OP's question, I'm sure the Roku will do fine. If you have iTunes, search the App Store to see if there's anything for the Roku. The SB was designed specifically for very good audio performance. The latest ones can accept hi rez audio. Other products will lag a bit in specifications, but I don't know if you'll notice an audible difference.

However, you should pay attention to setup and human interfaces, in comparison with competing products. If you're setting up multiple rooms, you should also pay attention to cost/room.

Regards,

Rob

Comment

You might want to consider a Netgear NTV300SL. It supports a wide array of file formats. It has pandora and many other services built in. And for $70.00 its hard to go wrong.

Might be worth checking out as you can control it from your phone too.

Kevin
                            Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                            OS MTM's
                            Digger 8 sub
                            Overnight Sensations Center Channel
                            Sprite Build
                            Wolf's PC Speakers
                            Minions III with Voxel Sub

Comment

Looks like the western digital TV live may be the best audio quality offering at a modest price.

http://m.wdc.com/en/product/330/features

Thanks to all for your helpful comments.
                              Marv

Comment

Working...
                              X