Announcement

Collapse

Columbus Day Sale

Extended One More Day! Columbus Day Sale at Parts Express! 10/15/19 Click the Parts Express Logo at the top left of this page.
See more
See less

Is My House a Giant Boom-Box??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is My House a Giant Boom-Box??

Although I live in a somewhat rural area my closest neighbor is about a thousand yards away (CORRECTION: FEET, NOT YARDS and it's more like 600 feet). It's usually pretty quiet here other than the jerk a tenth mile away who blasts his outside music all night sometimes. I don't want to be a noisy jerk like him. However, I do want gut-rumbling subwoofer performance for movies and certain types of music. My query isn't about how to make high SPL or high quality sub-bass.

I'm having built a small two-story dwelling. It's a conventional wooden structure but it's reasonably solid. The second floor will serve as the IB for the first floor AV system. I'll ensure that the subs are installed in such a way as to minimize damaging vibrations. It's built on concrete pillars but they're short and very sturdy.

It seems to me that the air pressure escaping from the first and second floors would soon cancel each other outside the home, for the most part. The IB subwoofers will be crossed somewhere below 50Hz... probably 40Hz. The subs will be oriented vertically (facing upward/downward) because the structure is least likely to move and vibrate... being anchored to the ground and weighted down.

QUESTION: Will an IB setup between the first and second floor help to mitigate unwanted rattling of the neighbors' windows? Will the front/rear (1st/2nd floor) sound waves "mostly" cancel each other outside the house and, if so, at what distance?
    Last edited by Tin_Ears; 11-17-2012, 10:22 AM.
    "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
    ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Re: Is My House a Giant Boom-Box??

You must be joking. You think your system will be heard over half a mile away?

Comment

If I had your (fortunate) living arrangement with regard to neighbor proximity, I would

1) build the mother of all IB subs
      2) NOT worry about the neighbors
      3) stock up on some good craft beers
      4) Insert DVD, press PLAY, relax

---not necessarily in that order though ;)
      Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

rpb, in 1972, I could, and did hear the closing of the bolt of an 8mm French Libel rifle at over 100 meters at night, and starched the holder of it before he could fire it. I can hear lots of "boom-boom" cars 2 miles away in town over the noise of the expressway a bit over a mile away. Depends on the breeze and if the air is "heavy" or "light".

Comment

I do remember hearing the car stereo sound off at MWAF from the PE parking lot over to the dance studio, that had to be at least a mile away

I can’t see how any sound waves would align 180 degrees apart. Maybe with pure waveforms.
          John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Yes, you will be heard, loud and clear. Especially at night.
            "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
            exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Low frequency sounds will be heard or felt by anyone near you if they are loud enough. Build it worth a $hit and Pi$$ off your jerk neighbor. Deep bass is like water, it can find it's way through anything and everything. So, is your nearest neighbor 3000ft or 528ft away? Meaning "a thousand yards away" and "a tenth mile away," respectively. I'm not trying to come off as an a$$, but that wording has me confused. Built it!

Comment

Just build a matterhorn and blow his house down with it. :D
                My modest builds:
                Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
                Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
                Armadillo Center Channel
                Au-Rock-O Sub
                Tarkus
                Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Ask the gigaplex movie house designers how they handle isolate the sound from each theater. The support columns and cross beams are cut so nothing touches, and they use uber-priced sound isolation material to isolate the concrete walls. It's really a big friggin' deal. They built a new civic auditorium in a suburb of South Tulsa (Bixby) and they didn't sound-proof it properly. Now they can't have rock concerts in there, because the neighbor's in houses (they were there first) complain. Ooops. Wood resonates like the walls of a good drum wall, or violin body, and magnifies the sound. Open a window at night in the country and you may be dodging .30 caliber rounds if you like Def Leppard and they like Lawrence Welk. 11 PM is "Quiet Hour" for me. No woodworking tools outdoors, or working in the shop with the garage door open, or tuning motorcycles 1 second after then. I never listen to music where I can hear it outside my house more than 1 meter from any exterior point of my house. I call that "considerate and polite". If I'm not considerate and polite, my neighbors can call the police on me and they can MAKE me be considerate and polite with fines and/or imprisonment. I hardly think most of the area wants to hear me play Mozart's Clarinet Concerto in A Major outdoors either, so I don't. When the Mechicano's have a Fiesta and too much cervasa and play their choversa way too loud at 4 AM and rattle my windows, I don't like it. Should I be as boorish?

Comment

This falls under the category of Noise Control. "The Master Handbook of Acoustics" has a very good intro to Noise Sources and Solutions.
                    Part of it is isolation from one medium to another and elimination of things such as diaphragm action.
                    Borrow techniques from sound production studios.
                    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                    “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post
                      You must be joking. You think your system will be heard over half a mile away?
                      You might be surprised - I've heard my neighbors talking ( not legibly ) at that distance, and they have heard me testing my speakers.
                      "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                      “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Tin_Ears View Post

QUESTION: Will an IB setup between the first and second floor help to mitigate unwanted rattling of the neighbors' windows? Will the front/rear (1st/2nd floor) sound waves "mostly" cancel each other outside the house and, if so, at what distance?
                        Probably not. Houses are boom boxes. The sub frequencies vibrate the walls, and that vibration is what's heard by the neighbors. It's the same as with cars; you're not hearing the sub output when a car passes by, you're hearing the vibration of the sheet metal. Since cars tend to have one resonant frequency at which those vibrations are loudest that's why it sounds like one note on the outside. The only way to stop those sub frequencies is to stop the house from vibrating, and that means high mass construction and/or isolation via double stud frame construction.
                        www.billfitzmaurice.com
                        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

A good place to start: http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing101/
                          Beer party, party of 4
                          Your table is now ready.

Comment

How far along is your construction? If you can use 2x6 upper and lower plates and staggered 2x4 studs on your exterior walls, this will help as your interior drywall and exterior siding will be attached to seperate studs. You can also double up on your drywall with a layer of adhesive between. If you really want to go all out, I believe they actually make a sound absorbing drywall.

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                              Probably not. Houses are boom boxes. The sub frequencies vibrate the walls, and that vibration is what's heard by the neighbors. It's the same as with cars; you're not hearing the sub output when a car passes by, you're hearing the vibration of the sheet metal. Since cars tend to have one resonant frequency at which those vibrations are loudest that's why it sounds like one note on the outside. The only way to stop those sub frequencies is to stop the house from vibrating, and that means high mass construction and/or isolation via double stud frame construction.

Well,
                              when you spend $400 on a complete flea market system, yes you will only hear the panels rattling. However, whenever you build something worthwhile in a car either SPL based or even SQ based with a decent subwoofer setup you can and will hear the bass outside the car. Sounds like simply car audio bashing and negating the "science" behind soundwaves to say that you will never hear bass outside of a car. Last time I checked, when my pants visually vibrated while 20ft from a decent car system, that was not the panels rattling causing that.

Comment

Working...
                              X