Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

60mm surplus Sharp mini woofers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitneyville1
    started a topic 60mm surplus Sharp mini woofers

60mm surplus Sharp mini woofers

I got these cute little things from All Electronics for $2.00 each. The only specs are 5 ohms 3 watts (5 watts peak). A-E thinks they are big screen TV speakers, which makes sense. My Wallin jig doesn't give me T/S numbers that make ANY sense at all. Impedence won't settle down. With a 1.5 volt AAA battery, it looks like they may have an X-Max of 5-6mm. Set on a Priority Mail "cube" with a cut-out in it, they make LOTS of bass, I mean shocking amounts for their size.Like an Aura NS3-194-8. What do I do when I can't get any kind of measurements on them? I tried checking the Sharp "alphabet soup" number on the back, which took me to the fact they were a replacement part for a Model XYZ -20000000001 and I couldn't find out what that was, because it wasn't a US model. Do I just play with 'em 'til I get something I like the sound of?

• Whitneyville1
    replied
    Re: 60mm surplus Sharp mini woofers

I'm using a Wallin jig, but I'll give it a try. I'll use my tiny "hook" clip leads. It's worth a try. I don't think these are "cheap", but the solder spot terminals are tiny. Thanks Steve. I don't quite know how they get the sound they do out of 4-6 tiny speakers a side on big-screens, but they seem to from 10-20 watts per channel, but the volume on my hand-me-down plasma with 4, 2"ers a side, pretty much quits at "45" of 100. Hook my Pioneer BS21's to the outputs and things change! Moving CF of air is magic isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• hipcheck
    replied

just something to try. clip your leads onto the wires coming from the cone ahead of the terminals on the speaker. I have found on cheap speakers the terminals did not allow me to measure with my WT3. Just an idea.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• sandyh
    replied

What would cause the OP to have problems measuring the TS parameters? I always assumed it would be a simple task to at least get somewhat correct numbers for just about any conventional driver. Just curious!?!?

Sandy.

Leave a comment:

• Whitneyville1
    replied

NLA, unfortunately. I think they only had about 500 and I snagged 4. I was going to order some more later that day and they were "gone". The BA's look pretty good. Last year (or before?) I got some tiny 12mm drivers (metal cones) that sound good for .25 watt, but are 32 ohm weirdness. You almost need to check A-E's "web-only" items daily. They sometimes get a "few" (a couple of hundred to a few thousand) neat things. I get "401's" to a couple of other surplus houses near A-E's old Oxnard location. Did they level that whole area or something??

Leave a comment:

• envisionelec
    replied

I don't see those, but I do see an interesting Boston driver. The other 2" (SK-201) is quite good....I know a guy that put some 120 of them in a pair of line arrays.

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied

Do you have a link or are these NLA? I'm allways looking for small woofers.

Leave a comment:

• Whitneyville1
    replied

These are supposed to be "woofers". I can't measure the impedance, so I'll go with the marked 5 ohms. Re=3.9 ohms, so that should be in the ballpark. All I have for FR "measurement" is the Audessey mic that came with my receiver run into my laptop under Speaker Works. Not exactly precise. I don't understand at all why when I run a freq. sweep, I can't get a sensical impedance reading anywhere. It never settles down to any value. I measured carefully and I'm feeding less than .5 volts AC to them, coil heating shouldn't be a problem should it? The highs are definitely lacking, and I was planning on a pair of MTMs with these for my laptop. I have a decent 5 watt RMS/ch stereo amp I can power from a USB port.

Leave a comment:

• charlielaub
    replied

Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
    I got these cute little things from All Electronics for $2.00 each. The only specs are 5 ohms 3 watts (5 watts peak). A-E thinks they are big screen TV speakers, which makes sense. My Wallin jig doesn't give me T/S numbers that make ANY sense at all. Impedence won't settle down. With a 1.5 volt AAA battery, it looks like they may have an X-Max of 5-6mm. Set on a Priority Mail "cube" with a cut-out in it, they make LOTS of bass, I mean shocking amounts for their size.Like an Aura NS3-194-8. What do I do when I can't get any kind of measurements on them? I tried checking the Sharp "alphabet soup" number on the back, which took me to the fact they were a replacement part for a Model XYZ -20000000001 and I couldn't find out what that was, because it wasn't a US model. Do I just play with 'em 'til I get something I like the sound of?
    TS parameters are just a convenient way to describe the impedance and frequency response, so who cares what they are, really? Don't freak out if you can not measure them... it's not so uncommon, especially with certain types of tweeters.

On the other hand, you absolutely need to know the frequency response, and the impedance, so measure those. Then post the results here for help on what to do with the drivers.

Also, putting DC on the voice coil is no way to get Xmax. You are probably seeing the mechanical limit, or the motor limit. This is NOT Xmax.

-Charlie

Leave a comment:

• ReissM
    replied

60mm is just a tad over 2.25"... you said a X-max of 5-6mm? I'm guessing that you mean total excursion capability not X-max. Even still, that's a nice amount for such a small driver.

If you can't seem to obtain T/S numbers, I would suggest building a test box of some type with the capability of varying the internal volume. Then take a "family" of near-field measurements at several different internal volumes. e.g. 2 Liters, 4 liters, 8 liters, 15 liters, 25 liters....

The shape of those curves (from 30 Hz to 100 Hz) will give you a general idea of which box volume will work well. Be sure to use some type of internal damping material to help with internal reflections.

At only 2.25 inches, I'm guessing that you're not looking for these to produce bass, right? Seems like it would be nice for midrange frequencies though. Try a HP filter at about 200 Hz and see how they sound without the burden of bass (bass requires much larger cone excursions). That should produce some nice clean midrange.

Good luck. Post some measurements for us to peek at.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X