Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do most theaters have sub-bass below 20Hz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do most theaters have sub-bass below 20Hz?

I watched Prometheous when it came out in Ultra AVX, and when the bluray came out, I watched it again at home and there is tons of incredibly low frequencies I dont recall being there when I was at the theater. Do movies get mastered different when it hits bluray? Would they boost the bass for example?

Re: Do most theaters have sub-bass below 20Hz?

No, it's just the theater you viewed it in doesn't have response capabilities as low as your home.

Comment

It is rare to see a movie at a theater that sounds as good as it does at home.
      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Almost all theaters i have been to can't beat the bass at home. Not even the so-called IMAX theaters. I really wish they had better bass, though.

Comment

I guess I just assumed because it was ultra avx, that it had to meet some response criteria. So then it should vary quite a lot from theater to theater even if its avx or imax.

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
          No, it's just the theater you viewed it in doesn't have response capabilities as low as your home.

Comment

Ya I find the bass at the theater to usually be boosted too much and not have as much extension. One thing I've always struggle with at home though is that I find the vocals to always seem too quiet compared to the crash/bang that happens regardless of how I calibrate :(

Comment

Your theater's sound isn't up to "spec". On of my customers and friends at the hobby shop is a movie theater technician that repairs projectors, digital projectors and sound systems. IMAX or Ultra AVX is supposed to go down to 3Hz via compressed air thru a horn and seat shakers. Since it costs so much to keep all that gear going, few houses keep it on except for a very few "road-show" films that require it. I'll bet money your house has the sound tracking mis-aligned and/or the sub-woofer amps shut down. Movie theaters don't have projectionists anymore, teens run the stuff and they don't know or care if it's right or not, just as long as it will run. If a 5000 watt pulsed Xenon arc lamp burns out, they don't even have a key to the lamp-house, and they call a tech.
              The "crash/bang" is supposed to be uncomfortably loud when the dialogue is at a normal spoken level. Welcome to the wonderful world of SFX. Some TV's and AVR's have a "night" setting which is an audio compression algorithm to prevent this. Check your owner's manuals.

Comment

Check out some of the specs of Klispch and JBL cinema speakers. http://www.klipsch.com/kpt-884

I recently saw Sky Fall (who didn't right?) and I noticed that the bass only shook the theater a few times. Bullets, explosions, dialog all sounded way brighter then most home speakers. I can't help notice that the dialog is way easier to hear in a theater then most home theater systems.

If I do my own HT, I'm gonna give these a try. http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-FH...+wall+speakers Install them behind a acoustic transparent screen.

I've had my own opinion for some time now that music speakers and movie speakers should be completely different. I really don't like Klipsch speakers for music. Too forward and fatiguing on extended listening, but for movies, they mimic the forward dialog that a large movie theater has.

Comment

Originally posted by generic View Post
                  If I do my own HT, I'm gonna give these a try. http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-FH...+wall+speakers Install them behind a acoustic transparent screen.
                  How about a better suggestion: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1291022/he...-rallying-here
                  "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Sometimes, too, we tune our personal systems pretty hot compared to THX/other specs...
                    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Face View Post
                      Those are great looking. I would really want to do in-wall speakers though. Mainly to have a really clean install in the main living room. I've installed other peoples in-wall speakers and I was kinda surprised at the results. I'm also way more picky about the quality of speakers for music too. For home theater, as long as I don't hear obvious distortion or a problem area, the short comings aren't nearly as obvious to me as if I was only listening to music. I'd just want clear (enough) and wide range. The BICs would be ideal for me. I'd also do it on a budget too and the BICs are the only affordable option for horn loaded and efficient.

Comment

Output below 20Hz relies mainly on pressurizing the room. Living rooms are small enough that you can do so without massive speakers and amps. Theaters are just too big.
                        www.billfitzmaurice.com
                        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by sorue View Post
                          Almost all theaters i have been to can't beat the bass at home. Not even the so-called IMAX theaters. I really wish they had better bass, though.
                          Although I am not arguing the fact the movies sound better at home...
                          Just an FYI. i went to see Skyfall in IMAX this weekend. Older theater with a new IMAX remodel. Floor to ceiling, wall to wall screen with IMAX curve. The building is concrete tilt up with concrete floors on the second story. I have watched movies in various theaters at this location and i can best describe the non-IMAX audio as "meh'.
                          Everything about IMAX was better. Image quality, screen size and audio.
                          Four times during the movie the IMAX lows shook the concrete floor HARD.
                          :what::what: Not to mention the rest of the audio spectrum nearly blowing my popcorn into the floor.
                          I wouldn't go as far as to say that this was audio QUALITY but the system definitely had an extremely powerful low end.

Can't wait to check out the new Dolby ATMOS system.

Comment

ST, that house's IMAX's audio was a new install and still up to "spec". They are supposed have massive air blowers to blow air from under and above the screen to increase the "effect" of explosions and such. Most are disconnected in the first month by the exhibitor to cut costs. The one guy in the Tulsa area that owns a GOOD theater with an IMAX in it, charges $16 for standard digital movies and $36 and up for IMAX movies. That's about 25% more than most other houses. Is it worth it? I think so. He keeps the screen rooms nice, the projection equipment to "spec", and bought the best screen material made. Most houses use some compression on their audio, and some limiting on the "boom/bangs". Not many screening rooms have enough main speakers installed and time compensated properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Temple View Post
                              I wouldn't go as far as to say that this was audio QUALITY but the system definitely had an extremely powerful low end.
                              No doubt, but you don't need below 20Hz to get that result.
                              www.billfitzmaurice.com
                              www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Working...
                              X