Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $40 Pioneer SP-BS21-LR

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/8374...dspeakers-pair
    An apostrophe with an "s" does not mean plural.

Speaker's IS NOT PLURAL.

Re: $40 Pioneer SP-BS21-LR

not bad for $40.

Comment

Two curved 7L cabinets with very nice binding posts and a 1.5" port. Possibilities for the cabinets alone and for $40 shipped, THAT's a good deal in itself.
      Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

I have the center channel version of these and I am impressed. $40 for a pair of these is a good deal.

Comment

Use 'em for over-qualified surround speakers for that price. A pair of mine, my lap-top and my DAT-100 spent Thanksgiving at my parents today playing music. My Mom,who can't stand "loud" music and my Dad who has nerve deafness were both happy with the volume and sound quality. My guess is Mom is very sensitive to distortion. She enjoyed today. $40 for the cabinets is a good deal.

Comment

Totally agree on the surround speaker application. I gave a pair to my older son for his rear surrounds. The fact that they were designed to sound a bit flatter off axis is yet another reason to relegate them to surround duty.

I love it when a great commercial speaker hits the market and then the manufacturer decides to upgrade to a new line and then the original line goes on fire sale!!

Nobody around here or anywhere can DIY the BS21’s for $40.
            Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
              Two curved 7L cabinets with very nice binding posts and a 1.5" port. Possibilities for the cabinets alone and for $40 shipped, THAT's a good deal in itself.
              Hmmm... 7L huh? Is that just a rough guess or did you calculate the volume?

Route out the recesses on the existing baffle, attach a new baffle, and either extend the port to 5" or seal the port cutout... and the cabinet would work for the Swope TM, ported or sealed.

Comment

As one of the very few who actually tries, I agree with Bryan - there is no way to duplicate these in DIY for the money. Nopers.
                Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I haven't filled mine with sand and measured the amount of sand or such, but my PRE-CIZE CAK-LU-ATIONZ came up with mighty close to .28 cu. ft. ~ 7L. Besides, that's what the owner's sheet from Pioneer says! (Cheat, cheat, cheat!) Stone stock, sitting on top of the P-E Sub-Woofer 1000 or 1200 or a DIY 8" sub with a 70 or 100 watt plate amp on each side, nobody really would have a very good reason to complain very much. The sub would take over from 65 Hz down, and if you have an AVR with Audessey, it will "fix" the 10KHz dip (mine did). Put the BS-21's 2' away from the back wall, 2' in from the adjoining wall pointed strait forward where the tweeter is at ear level, and the 4" woofer will amaze you after quite a bit of break-in time, and say 30* off-axis, the stock tweeter is OK too. Somewhere about 12-15 watts input is about the limit musically for these. (Guesstimating using a DTA-100), but what do you expect from a 4" woofer? At $20 each, they make shamefully great surround speakers, if you can stand the size.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
                    ... if you have an AVR with Audessey, it will "fix" the 10KHz dip (mine did).
                    The dip is only apparent on axis, it fills out nicely off axis. If you "fix" it on axis you necessarily screw it up at all other angles. Probably best to leave it alone.
                    Don't even try
                    to sort out the lies
                    it's worse to try to understand.

Comment

Would these be good 'as is' for desktop speakers? Would spending an additional $60 be worth it for 2 centers Pioneer SP-C21 as left and right?

or go with the SP-BS21-LR and spend $60+ on a plate and sub? I like boom boom

Comment

^^^ I'm also interested to know others' experiences/opinions regarding using the centers oriented vertically as main MTMs. I'm not into "boom boom" but I do want reasonably high sound levels with reasonably low distortion and decent imaging.
                        "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
                        ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

desktop for $40 shipped sounds like a hell of a deal. The mtm wont really get you lower, so grabbing an inexpensive sub is probably the better choice. The one I use at my desk I got at goodwill for $20. Not bad for a 12" 200W Atlantic tech POS.

Comment

^^^ Maybe not all that much lower... specs claim about 10 Hz but that's enough to help integrate subwoofers. I think power handling will be increased significantly. Re-purposing the CC version is far more economical than buying the towers. I just don't know if they'll work properly as mains. If it's a silly idea please remember that JEEPSTER brought it up first.:D
                            "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
                            ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

IMHO, avoiding MTM seems to be a good idea for near field work.
                              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Working...
                              X