Impedance question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impedance question

I recently finished building Curt Campbell's Stentorians. I couldn't love them more but am a little worried about running them with an Alesis powered mixer that is looking for 4 ohms on the mono outs. The Stens are about 5 ohms each equaling 2.5 together right?
    I will be using them for sound reinforcement at medium volume levels - can I feel safe?

Re: Impedance question

Originally posted by mshedio View Post
    I recently finished building Curt Campbell's Stentorians. I couldn't love them more but am a little worried about running them with an Alesis powered mixer that is looking for 4 ohms on the mono outs. The Stens are about 5 ohms each equaling 2.5 together right?
    I will be using them for sound reinforcement at medium volume levels - can I feel safe?
    I would say your Alesis amp should be ok with this load. 2.5 ohm is pretty common in a 4 ohm nominal speaker and as long as you run the amp gently it should not complain too much. Looking at the speakers impedance profile it doesn't look too bad. But it really is about how robust the amps power supply is and how well the amp dissipates heat. But if it were mine I wouldn't hesitate to give it a go if you notice the amp distorting in peaks it will be your cue to drop the volume a bit and watch for it getting hot.
    Dave

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
    If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran

Comment

Re: Impedance question

Is there any way to have a small fan blowing on the amp?

The lower impedance will draw a tad more current... and the amp might get fairly warm (depending on how much you baby the volume knob). A simple fan will go a long way in helping to dissipate the extra heat.
      Last edited by ReissM; 12-07-2012, 04:28 PM. Reason: My spelling leaves a lot to be desired. Sorry.
      ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
      Sapphos
      Cables (Post #54)
      Other speakers (Post #21)
      Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
      Boundary Augmentation
      Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Working...
      X