6X9 car speakers enclosure volumes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6X9 car speakers enclosure volumes

Hello all: I have some old Altec Lansing 6x9 car speakers that I want to make proper enclosures for home audio use. How critical is the enclosures for car speakers? Sealed or Ported? I have some Altec Lansing als 693's and very vintage Altec 6x9 4B's Super Duplex Voice of the Highways. any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for all your opinions. gregb

Re: 6X9 car speakers enclosure volumes

Being that they are intended for the rear deck of a car, the qts is likely to be high, generally around the 1.0 mark. Without t/s numbers, any enclosure will just be a shot in the dark.

But here is an idea. They are designed for infinite baffle, so how about an open baffle? Basically,build a box deep enough to extend past the speaker by a couple of inches, apply some dampening material to the inside. They will need a sub and high-passed. I had a pair of these for a short time and really liked them.
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

I agree... without the driver's electro-mechanical parameters (Thiel/Small) it's tough to help you out. There are some general guidelines for choosing between sealed and ported, but without the specs this won't really help you. Here it is anyway.....

Efficiency Bandwidth Product = Fs/Qes

If EBP is around 50, you'd probably be better off with a sealed enclosure.
      If EBP is around 100, you'd probably be better off with a ported enclosure.

As for the volume of air inside the box... without the T/S parms it's tough to say. You could measure the speaker but I'm guessing that's not really an option. To REALLY optimize the bass, you need the proper amount of air. Not too big, not too small. And if it's a ported design, choosing the box tuning can make or break the design.

We would love to give you a hand with this... but not sure how!!!
      ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
      Sapphos
      Cables (Post #54)
      Other speakers (Post #21)
      Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
      Boundary Augmentation
      Dispersion/Interference

Comment

If you're near Appleton, I could measure them for you.

Comment

Hi Thank You all for your replies. I live in the Milwaukee area. I would be happy to drive up to Appelton and I appriciate your offer However I need to have the surrounds repaired on the newer Altecs. 1st. Where would I be able to find the parameters of these speakers? I have never saw any. If I were to take you up on your offer, How would I contact you? Is there a way for us to private message each other? Thank You for your time., Greg

Comment

I have used a few different 6x9's through the years - plentiful and inexpensive. Currently running Infinity's w/ the polycel tweeter in the shop (Many Dodges run them as part of the older "Infinity Premium SOund package) Just pull the amp off the back and stick 'em in a box. Mini towers w/1.78 ft internal (8x11x35 ID) w/ a 3 x 3 port. I don' remember what the port tuning is but it works. Never measured them, don't really care - just about anything I put in this box sounds good- 5 and a tweet, 6-1/2 and a tweet, 5-1/4" coax, etc. Seems that the 6x9's or 6" seperates sound the best. 1/2" mdf, no bracing, nothing fancy, just 1/2" poly batting on 3 sides. FYI- I also have a pair of same mounted in the wall of my compressor closet (300 cu ft +) - The boxes sound better -
            "Over 50% of the people are below average" . . . Doug D.

Comment

VOTH are here

Comment

http://fullrangedriver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1744

Maybe helpful ????:rolleyes:

I have been wondering how I can set up a boom box using car 6x9's.

Comment

Get your surrounds repaired. Send me your email in a pm. I can test your drivers (to get the T/S parms) with my "woofer tester". My daughter lives down there. Know that "auto" woofers generally rely on the (approx. 12dB/octave) "cabin gain" inside a closed car interior to augment the bass and may end up with very little in the home environment. A subwoofer will then be needed to round out the bottom end.

Comment

Thank You for your offer again. Some time after the holidays I will send them out. Thanks again., Greg.

Comment

Hi. Thank You very Much!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X