Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry PI on the way...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Raspberry PI on the way...

    I waited until the 512mb model was released, and ordered one. I also ordered a little case, and a power supply. Going to pick up a 16gb SD card to store the OS and incidental files on it.

    Plus, this is what is going on it (initially):
    http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Raspberry_Pi

    Got a little vacation time coming up, going to stop goofing off with speakers and see what I can do with this thing. I am hoping some audio testing software is developed for this platform. This would be undeniably cool to stick into a shoebox with every other piece of hardware for testing speakers. Add a little 7" touch screen, something like this: http://www.mini-box.com/VM7000-7-touchscreen...

    For all I know, there is already software written for one of the OS developed for the Pi... Have to go and look after this post.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

  • #2
    Sounds pretty cool Johnny. I'm interested to hear your report after you have awhile to play with it. Early reviews said the audio quality wasn't the best but that was early on.

    I had looked to this as a possible squeezebox alternative for non-critical listening areas. Might run squeeze play or something else that plays flax. XBMC is another I've been looking at.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Raspberry PI on the way...

      Yeah, the audio worries me but what the heck - a Creative USB soundcard is $50.
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Raspberry PI on the way...

        I am really hoping that someone will write a "squeezebox" emulator/replacement for it . . .
        "It suggests that there is something that is happening in the real system that is not quite captured in the models."

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Raspberry PI on the way...

          I have no idea what a Squeezebox is.
          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Raspberry PI on the way...

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXoxH8HI7z8


            :applause:

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Raspberry PI on the way...

              Had to be done... Here are variants of the Squeezebox;

              http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Squee.../dp/B0013IWYHU

              http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-930-0...ref=pd_sim_e_2

              http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Squee...ref=pd_sim_e_3

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Raspberry PI on the way...

                I'll be pushing mine in the squeezebox direction off the bat. Working on a cheap USB DAC + (optional) buffer, power supply board design as we speak. I2S and SPDIF should also be available if you wanted to wire up a better DAC.

                It will have no screen or controls so more of a Duet replacement for starters but if the rest works well who knows what is possible.
                diVine Audio

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Raspberry PI on the way...

                  The itty bitty Android sticks are pretty amazing, considering some of them have more power and memory than my first computer.

                  http://www.amazon.com/MK808-Android-...pd_sim_sbs_e_5

                  http://www.amazon.com/Generation-And...pd_sim_sbs_e_3

                  http://www.amazon.com/MK802-Android-...pd_sim_sbs_e_1

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by cjd View Post
                    I'll be pushing mine in the squeezebox direction off the bat. Working on a cheap USB DAC + (optional) buffer, power supply board design as we speak. I2S and SPDIF should also be available if you wanted to wire up a better DAC.

                    It will have no screen or controls so more of a Duet replacement for starters but if the rest works well who knows what is possible.
                    This sounds VERY interesting. I figured someone was doing this by now, but didn't know who. Looked at Sanos the other day and it still lacks compared to squeezebox and for more money. Duet replacement is exactly the path I am looking. Control everything from the iPad/phone. What embedded software capability are you considering?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Dabspok View Post
                      The itty bitty Android sticks are pretty amazing, considering some of them have more power and memory than my first computer.

                      http://www.amazon.com/MK808-Android-...pd_sim_sbs_e_5

                      http://www.amazon.com/Generation-And...pd_sim_sbs_e_3

                      http://www.amazon.com/MK802-Android-...pd_sim_sbs_e_1
                      Some of those make me wonder if I can use an old cell phone as the player and just put it on the network and hook it up to the amp. Certainly more energy efficient than a computer running. I've got an old atom notebook running squeeze play now and it works pretty darn well.
                      Last edited by tpremo55; 12-11-2012, 09:35 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Raspberry PI on the way...

                        Exactly my thought for when my Droid Incredible retires.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Raspberry PI on the way...

                          Originally posted by tpremo55 View Post
                          Some of those make me wonder if I can use an old cell phone as the player and just put it on the network and hook it up to the amp. Certainly more energy efficient than a computer running. I've got an old atom notebook running squeeze play now and it works pretty darn good.
                          My recent research yielded Squeezepad,which can make your ipad/phone a controller and squeeze player. This will be the solution I use to connect my wife's kitchen radio along with a Bluetooth receiver so she will have wireless control of music from the computer and web.

                          http://www.squeezepad.com/

                          Marv
                          Last edited by marvin; 12-11-2012, 05:55 PM. Reason: added link

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Raspberry PI on the way...

                            Some quick Google searching seems to hint at Android being ported to the Pi. Could be interesting.
                            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Raspberry PI on the way...

                              Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                              Some quick Google searching seems to hint at Android being ported to the Pi. Could be interesting.
                              It doesn't boot yet but it'll happen. My programming skills won't help me here without a lot of learning. I think this is going to be a fun hobby year.
                              diVine Audio

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X