J-Boom - A jewelry boom box.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J-Boom - A jewelry boom box.

I'm pretty sure I've lost my mind. :eek: ....maybe not.

Over the last few years I have gifted a lot of builds to my sons, nephews and other family "guys" so it got me thinking how I could hook up my nieces? Well to be fair...I only have two nieces....the guys outnumber the women in this extended family big time ;).

Anyway.....I first thought of a mini boombox type deal, but why not a jewelry box, with speakers?? ....sure something they can toss makeup and jewelry and knick knacks and stuff into and even slap some stickers on?? Am I nuts?
    Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Re: J-Boom - A jewelry boom box.

A while back I bought several of the Vifa coax drivers from Apex Jr. I also have a few DTA-2's from last year when they were on special or DOTD...I forget. Anyway, that's the crux of the system. There's a suggested XO on the Apex Jr site for the Vifas, but I'm not sold on it just yet.

Here's a rough ...very rough and old school sketch of what I'm thinking:

EDIT....I just noticed I mis-spelled jewelry...nice. That's just like me tho:p

Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Modeling a pair of the Vifas (woofers) in a ported box.....I got what I consider good results in a 9.3L vented box with a 2" I.D. x 4" port (Fb 70Hz - F3 60.4 Hz).

Here are the T/S parms I used:

Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

There's a method to my madness, I must admit. The THODIOs are damned impressive and this is totally my inspiration here. I'm just adding a storage compartment for my nieces to stash their crap...that's all..LOL. I'm pretty sure I'm going to come in well under the aforementioned product's price point too = bonus for me.
        Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

I've pretty much got all the "stuff" i need to build these (I need to knock out two). Before I make an absolute mess of the garage, I'd like to know if anyone has experience with the Vifa Co-Ax drivers and if there are any obvious flaws in my thinking for this build. If anything looks absurdly WRONG please speak up.

My nieces are young....talkin pre-teen here. I want to give them something to plug thier iPods into other than a pair of $hitty ear buds.
          Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

I think it looks like a kickass project, Bryan. Can't be finished in Duratex, though.
            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
              I think it looks like a kickass project, Bryan. Can't be finished in Duratex, though.
              JR, you know me too well.

This could be a complete FAIL, but when we were in Green Bay for Thanksgiving, I bought a bunch of RustOleum purple rattle can paint. The prices up there + the sales tax is just so nice. Anyway, that's my intended finish...lord help me.

EDIT: I suck at gloss finish. PERIOD. This should be interesting. It's THIS ONE in purple.
              Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

That is what I use for the most part. I bet you do fine.

Comment

Sounds great. But don't use the word cougar in the name.

Comment

Originally posted by cmac View Post
                    Sounds great. But don't use the word cougar in the name.
                    It happened to be an awesome acronym. Just FYI- the "CO‹GAR" is departing for another college party very soon. Puns aside...that build is doing serious music duty at multiple venues and apart from one little unfortunate tweeter blow-out (quickly fixed) it continues to impress. The next mobile gig will be accompanied by a pair of Pioneer BS21s (driven by the HU). Before opening MLB season, I hope to have completed a pair of Maurbacs for my tailgate reinforcement to tap those 4-channels of HU power. I'll shut up now.
                    Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Before I do any sort of BOM for this project I should mention that I'm doing LED accenting and I'm scrapping the stock volume knob for the DTA-2.

So.......correct me if I'm wrong, but I already ordered a bag-o-LEDs from PE and a sweet Volume Knob.

Has anyone done something like this before?? I'm totally open to suggestions, but make it quick.........like really quick.
                      Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Arlis did some LED work on his recent amp build, he might be able to help you out.

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
                          Before I do any sort of BOM for this project I should mention that I'm doing LED accenting and I'm scrapping the stock volume knob for the DTA-2.
                          Of course the LEDs are a great idea. Now, just so I understand, are you changing out the volume POT, or just the KNOB on the DTA-2? I ask because the volume pot on the DTA-2 seemed kind of unorthodox to me.
                          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                          Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
                            Modeling a pair of the Vifas (woofers) in a ported box.....I got what I consider good results in a 9.3L vented box with a 2" I.D. x 4" port (Fb 70Hz - F3 60.4 Hz).

Here are the T/S parms I used:

Nice! I have a few of those. Do you have any nearfield measurements too?

BarryV

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                              Of course the LEDs are a great idea. Now, just so I understand, are you changing out the volume POT, or just the KNOB on the DTA-2? I ask because the volume pot on the DTA-2 seemed kind of unorthodox to me.
                              Only changing the knob. The front baffle will be 1" thick, so I need something that will protrude a bit more than the stock flat DTA-2 knob.
                              Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Working...
                              X