ABS for tiny boxes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABS for tiny boxes

Im sure this has been covered, sorry in advance. Thinking of building some tiny boxes for the TB buyout 3" drivers. Im wanting to mount them along with the TV on full motion wall mount so weight is an issue. Do you think ABS and some dowels would work for these little guys?

Thanks, Ron

Re: ABS for tiny boxes

Hi Ron,
    Do you have a photo of the set-up about which you're asking? The thickness of the ABS, the size of the enclosure, and what you're hoping to get from the speakers will help answer your question.
    Mike
    "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
    My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Comment

I'm working on something similar. I have some Aura NS3's and rear mount Dayton ND20's that I'm going to try in 4-gang PVC (I think) electrical boxes I found at Home Depot. The volume is approximately 75 cubic inches. I cut out a 3.75" by 7.5" front baffle from 1/2" plywood. The boxes already have screw holes, so mounting the baffle will be really easy. I'm still not sure whether I will do ported or sealed and what level of damping will be required - but it looks like a really easy way to build a small speaker. Hopefully it won't need much of a crossover.....
      Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

ABS/PVC are sorta OK. Polypropylene is "deader" and better, but harder to find. I had a Vetter motorcycle fairing with a the radio and speakers mounted in an ABS enclosure (which the fairing was made of, and the speakers used for part of their enclosure) and it sounded OK. Then I got a Pichler fairing from Europe with the radio housing made of PPL. MUCH, much better sound with the same speakers and the same Blauplunkt radio. Lots of pro sound and PA speakers are using poly for enclosures these days. ERSE audio even sells them for PA speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
          ABS/PVC are sorta OK. Polypropylene is "deader" and better, but harder to find. I had a Vetter motorcycle fairing with a the radio and speakers mounted in an ABS enclosure (which the fairing was made of, and the speakers used for part of their enclosure) and it sounded OK. Then I got a Pichler fairing from Europe with the radio housing made of PPL. MUCH, much better sound with the same speakers and the same Blauplunkt radio. Lots of pro sound and PA speakers are using poly for enclosures these days. ERSE audio even sells them for PA speakers.
          Agreed. The boxes I picked up were quite stiff, so I will be trying some asphalt-based roof repair sheeting to see if that deadens enough.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

Go to your big box building supply retailer. Look for their pvc fence post sleeves. Made to cover a 4x4. You may find a poured composition version. Cut to a suitable length. I saw Dr. Jim Griffin use these.

You may line the pvc with a suitable material to stiffen and damp vibrations. I used pieces of vinyl floor tiles.

That gives you 4 of the 6 sides of a small box. You will need to make end caps.
            Mongo only pawn in game of life
            ____
            Ed

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas. Ed, thats a great idea. might go with that one.

Comment

Steer clear of the asphalt based "deadeners" or the like. They are meer placebos.

Comment

I built some small pc speakers using these and 1/4" mdf and they are pretty light weight. Not sure how ABS compares weight wise to equivalently thick mdf. Mine are 4" internal dimension cubes. I didn't use any internal bracing. If you go thinner than 1/4" or larger in size I'd definitely put some bracing in.
                  Here's a link. I originally started with a different driver, but when it was no longer available I switch to the Tang Band.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=minions

Comment

Originally posted by ameuba10 View Post
                    Steer clear of the asphalt based "deadeners" or the like. They are meer placebos.
                    How did you reach this conclusion? For which applications have you tried or otherwise evaluated them?

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

All good ideas so far. How about just using some thin plywood with lots of dowel braces? 1/4" should be plenty strong for a small cab, and with well placed bracing, shouldn't resonate much.
                      My modest builds:
                      Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
                      Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
                      Armadillo Center Channel
                      Au-Rock-O Sub
                      Tarkus
                      Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Good thought too on plywood. Pro electric supply houses carry new green 'glas filled flame retardant plastic electrical boxes. I'm not really sure what plastic they are made of, but they are supposed to be recycled and I'd guess they may be made from old soft drink bottles or milk bottles filled with glass fiber (maybe both). They come up to "8 gang" and "triple depth" which is nearly 8" deep, then you could put an "extension" front plate to make them a 1/2" deeper. Right across the parking lot from the hobby shop is a plumbing/heating electrical supply we keep in business buying replacement florescent ballasts, and that's where I've seen them. I didn't check the prices or anything. Just on a whim, I checked the plastics fabrication shop where we get clear plastic for our train club. They said they sell molded polyethylene or polypropylene box in "standard sizes" about what you're asking about, for less than $20 a pair. Make a phone call or two.

Comment

Many great ideas. Thanks to all. I guess its time to get to looking at materials. My son told me the tv sounded like crap without speakers, so i need to make new boxes before i can hang the tv. Off to the garage.

Comment

"ABS for tiny boxes"

More crunches...

Comment

crunchettes

Originally posted by Dabspok View Post
                              "ABS for tiny boxes"

More crunches...
                              ~99%
                              Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
                              Make me a poster of an old rodeo
                              Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
                              To believe in this livin' is just a hard way to go

Comment

Working...
                              X