Finalist Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finalist Build

Although I've long wanted to build a set of full size Statements, it seems they are not a good match for my room. Thanks to Pete, Curt, Jim and Arlis for their feedback. After getting some suggestions to check out the Finalists, i read up on the design and decided to give it a shot. The open back mids are something i'd like to hear, the size is managable and there is a near-wall crossover setting (which i'll have to use).

http://meniscusaudio.com/finalists-pair-p-1364.html

Today i made the majority of the cuts. Haven't built anything in a while - i had almost forgotten what a terrible mess MDF makes. I threw together a little circular saw straight edge guide yesterday. I had problems using it at first and gave up for the day. This afternoon i had better luck after some changes to how i mark for the cuts and then align and clamp the jig. This is the first time i'm using a circular saw for a build. In the past i used my tiny Craftsman table saw and it was often a challenge. Last year i got a pretty nice dewalt and this is the first real action it's seen. That thing is a joy to cut with

I got to use these new little work tables i got for Christmas.. They're really a huge help and fold up nice and easy for storage. Only about $75 each at Costco i think. They come with 2 trigger action clamps which are reasonable quality. I dropped a big piece of wood yesterday with the clamp attached and the clamp exploded when they hit the floor. But i think only the best clamps would have made it out alive.

Also picked up the 6" PVC for the mid tunnel. That was fun... trying to get the HD people to sell me less than 10' of pipe was a losing battle. Had to pick up the whole 10' section they stock... so i think i can build about 4 pairs of Finalist cabinets

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2083.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	1183180

Name:	IMG_2084.JPG
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	1183181

Name:	IMG_2085.JPG
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	1183182

Name:	IMG_2086.JPG
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	1183183

Re: Finalist Build

off and running. where are you anyway?
    i think you will enjoy them. that curt guy has a pretty decent ear as does the jim guy.
    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

I heard Jim's Finalist's in Iowa and they sounded GREAT! I can't imagine anyone not liking how they were voiced. Keep those build photos coming
      Craig

The lowest possible F3 box alignment is not always the best alignment.

Designing and building speaker projects are like playing with adult Lego Blocks for me.

Comment

I'm in northern NJ... just updated my profile. I haven't been active on this board for too long. I was on AVS for a while but it seems mostly focussed on sub builds so i've been spending more time over here lately. Both nice communities.

I'm looking forward to this build. Hopefully i'll have patience and take my time. I tend to rush and cause problems for myself because i can't wait for the finished product. This time i forced myself to start the cabinet build before ordering the drivers so i'm not tempted to just cut holes and slap everything together My goal is to produce quality cabinets. My current L/C/R setup was my first DIY build (a Zaph setup). It actually came out looking pretty good for a first go - after staining they matched my AV console as well as could be expected (excepting the grain pattern, which i never even thought about until everything was complete). But i'm starting to see peeling veneer and the finish is very poor quality. I'll probably build new cabinets for the Zaphs after this project and then maybe try to sell them to recoup the cost of the kits

Current setup:

Name:	current_LCR.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1145997

Comment

thats a nice looking setup. i suspect you have a bunch of members not to far away. you'll have to attend a diy meet after their finished.
          " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

Comment

Originally posted by arlis_1957@yahoo.com View Post
            thats a nice looking setup. i suspect you have a bunch of members not to far away. you'll have to attend a diy meet after their finished.
            I think i saw something about a meet in NY (Brooklyn or Queens?). Might have been Iron-Speaker-Challenge or something. I'll keep an eye out.

Comment

I've seen your previous work and I know this will be a build to follow!

Comment

I'm excited to see you get started on The Finalists build. I think you are the 1st to build this design besides me. I think you'll like them a lot. I certainly do. :D

A thought on the switch, crossover and how it works. The actual opening on the back of the mid tunnel is 6". I cut a 1/2" deep recess 7" and then cut a 7" diameter plug out of 1/2" MDF that could be inserted for close wall positioning. The crossover changes are simply a 2 pole switch and one resistor, which are both incorporated into the standard crossover. It's very simple and allows you to pull The Finalists out, remove the plug and flip the switch when you are in the mood for critical listening to your music collection.

I'll be following your build closely. We love pictures!

Jim

Comment

Great to see you'll be following the thread, PI Always appreciate your encouragement and woodworking advice.

Jim, i hadn't even considered how to plug the hole for the near wall configuration. Thanks for mentioning it. Did you come up with anything fancy to hold the 7" plug in the tunnel? I wouldn't think friction alone would be enough. I've come up with some ideas of how to be clever about it, but after some more thought i always find problems.

If the progress of this build grinds to a halt, it will be in part due to the arm and a leg i had to fork over today to get my garage door openers replaced. Super quiet tho

Name:	IMG_2087.JPG
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	1146004

Comment

I got a little work in on the build today. I cut the PVC for the mid tunnel. Bigger pain than i expected. Unfortunately my 12" mitre saw couldn't cut all the way through the pipe because part of the motor assembly hits the top of the pipe and you can't plunge all the way down.

Name:	IMG_2088.JPG
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	1146005Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2090.JPG
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	1146006

I figured that was fine, i'll just rotate the pipe and continue the cut. Not quite so easy... this was the result of my first attempt

Name:	IMG_2091.JPG
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	1146007

Comment

Next up i tried cutting as far as one plunge would allow, then finishing off with a handsaw. Couldn't find my miter saw so i tried a few things i had laying around:

Name:	IMG_2095.JPG
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	1146011Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2094.JPG
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	1146012

Not so good. I didn't have any sort of miter box / jig so keeping the handsaw square and straight just wasn't happening. I did get to try out the built in clamp slots on these new work tables. They weren't ideal for this job because the clamp jaws were kind of short to hold on to the pipe, but they helped.

Name:	IMG_2097.JPG
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	1146009Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2096.JPG
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	1146010

After several more attempts with the power miter saw, i got a little better technique down and turned out 2 reasonable 13" lengths. Here are the 2 i kept along side an earlier ugly mess (far right). Guess it was a blessing in disguise that i was forced to buy 10' of this PVC... i wasted a ton of it trying to get a nice edge

Name:	IMG_2098.JPG
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	1146008

Comment

Originally posted by lowpolyjoe View Post
                        Great to see you'll be following the thread, PI Always appreciate your encouragement and woodworking advice.

Jim, i hadn't even considered how to plug the hole for the near wall configuration. Thanks for mentioning it. Did you come up with anything fancy to hold the 7" plug in the tunnel? I wouldn't think friction alone would be enough. I've come up with some ideas of how to be clever about it, but after some more thought i always find problems.
                        Actually, using a jasper jig, my 7" plug fits VERY tight in the recess. Tight enough I have a screw in the center with enough sticking out I can grab it with pliers to remove it. I cover everything with a grill on the back.

Jim

Comment

Next up i routed the attatment groves for the panels that will sit inside the enclosure and support the tunnels. The router is perhaps my favorite tool for its versatility and the Jasper Jig has to be my favorite little gadget. A close second might be the vacuum attachment for the router that reduces the mess considerably.

Name:	IMG_2099.JPG
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	1146013Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2100.JPG
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	1146014

I think this is the first time i ever used the measurement gauge for the depth stop.

Name:	IMG_2105.JPG
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	1146015

Initially i cut 1/4" deep for each groove, misremembering what i had read earlier. When i test-fit the PVC with the support panels attached it measured 1" too long :( Needed 1/2" depth or i would have had to shorten the tube. It was a bit of a pain because two passes with the 1/4" router bit were required to get a groove wide enough to accept the PVC for dry-fitting. In the end i got a pretty good fit. I'm perhaps 1/32" to 1/16" wide. I'll might go back and make a slightly deeper groove in one side for each box. I'm waiting for a full dry-fit run before i decide if that's needed

Name:	IMG_2106.JPG
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	1146016Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2107.JPG
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	1146017

Comment

Anyone know what this is ?

I recently repurposed it to hold the camera to reduce how much dust settles on it - when i remember to put it back in there, that is.

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	1146018Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	1146019

Comment

Originally posted by lowpolyjoe View Post
                              Anyone know what this is ?

I recently repurposed it to hold the camera to reduce how much dust settles on it - when i remember to put it back in there, that is.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32461[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32462[/ATTACH]
                              floppy disc box. clever.

Comment

Working...
                              X