• Show
Clear All

Re: Finalist Build

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    floppy disc box. clever.
    Hot damn, 5.25 floppies no less.

Comment

Yeah, i'm a bit of a pack rat. Took me till this year to sort through my old computer stuff and toss all those floppies The large and small floppy boxes are fairly well made and i couldn't see them go to waste. Put them in the garage until i could find a use for them. The 5 1/4 came in handy already. The 3 1/2 will probably store hardware of some type.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post
        Actually, using a jasper jig, my 7" plug fits VERY tight in the recess. Tight enough I have a screw in the center with enough sticking out I can grab it with pliers to remove it. I cover everything with a grill on the back.
        That thing does make a snug fit for sure, i just wasn't sure it'd be enough. Thanks.

Am i mistaken or is there no roundover on the sides of the baffle in the speaker pictured in your profile (and the design site)? I've been lazy and not run a roundover on any of my builds to date, mostly for fear of dealing with veneer complexity. I was on the fence about running roundovers on the sides of the baffle of my next project, which turned out to be this one. However, i'm looking at some pricey veneer species and if i mess it up and have to pull the veneer, trash it and start over, it's really gonna kill me. Can you comment on the significance of a roundover for this speaker?

Comment

Originally posted by lowpolyjoe View Post
          That thing does make a snug fit for sure, i just wasn't sure it'd be enough. Thanks.

Am i mistaken or is there no roundover on the sides of the baffle in the speaker pictured in your profile (and the design site)? I've been lazy and not run a roundover on any of my builds to date, mostly for fear of dealing with veneer complexity. I was on the fence about running roundovers on the sides of the baffle of my next project, which turned out to be this one. However, i'm looking at some pricey veneer species and if i mess it up and have to pull the veneer, trash it and start over, it's really gonna kill me. Can you comment on the significance of a roundover for this speaker?
          Nope. No roundover. There are sonic benefits from roundovers but a square corner can be compensated for in the crossover design. Since this is a speaker that was going in my livingroom, the look I was after required a full grill. I think it could be built with or without roundovers without any audible change in the sound. I can tell you, the FR is very smooth without the roundover.

Jim

Comment

Thanks Jim.

On the topic of grills... i really like the visual of leaving drivers exposed. Sadly, my wife got a kitten a few months ago and he promptly punched in 2 of my tweeters. I think i had a rant about that in another thread. Looks like i'll be building full grills for all my speakers from now on.

Grill material is still undecided. Certainly open to suggestions for maximum protection with minimum impact on sound. Some have suggested pet-proof screen door screen. Metal grating maybe. I dunno. Guess i have some time before i have to decide.

Having a hard time picking out veneer... everything i want is too expensive

Comment

Looks like a floppy disk storage box............ much nicer than storing punch card decks with a rubber band around them when I started with computers.

Comment

Originally posted by lowpolyjoe View Post
                Thanks Jim.

On the topic of grills... i really like the visual of leaving drivers exposed. Sadly, my wife got a kitten a few months ago and he promptly punched in 2 of my tweeters. I think i had a rant about that in another thread. Looks like i'll be building full grills for all my speakers from now on.

Grill material is still undecided. Certainly open to suggestions for maximum protection with minimum impact on sound. Some have suggested pet-proof screen door screen. Metal grating maybe. I dunno. Guess i have some time before i have to decide.

Having a hard time picking out veneer... everything i want is too expensive
                You're in luck! The RS28F has a metal grill over the soft dome. The mid is another story though.

Jim

Comment

I just saw some nice, fine expanded metal at Lowes yesterday, $25 for a pretty sizable sheet, and its black ta boot. I need ta go back and investigate a bit closer.
                  A mains
                  The Ventures
                  Open Invit8tions
                  RSR
                  Sound Troopers
                  Acorns
                  DGBG's
                  The Monuments

Comment

This place seems to have a great selection of perferated sheet goods. Only issue is the inability to see the patterns in person. I have a hard time visualizing how each will look and how 'open' they each are. I've contacted to ask them if they offer a sample pack but i expect they will laugh at me

http://www.metalsdepot.com

Comment

Ordered the Finalist kit and some fancy veneer today. Looks like i'll be eating peanut butter and jelly for dinner for the next few months :p

Got a little work done this evening. Made some ugly window braces. I really need to get me a big hole saw or something. I'm terrible with the jigsaw and it's a PITA

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2109.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	1146071Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2110.JPG
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	1146072Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2111.JPG
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	1146073

Comment

I really like my little craftsman dual-base router. I leave the fixed base attached to the router table and switching the motor in takes 2 seconds.

Name:	IMG_2112.JPG
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	1146074Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2113.JPG
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	1146075Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2115.JPG
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	1146076Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2116.JPG
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	1146077

Comment

Dry fit time. results were so-so.

Ran most of the panels through the table saw to try to square up a few wonky cuts from the circular saw but it didn't make much differnce. Definitely need to deepen the groves for the mid tunnel so it'll fit properly. You can see it sticks up further than the window brace next to it.

One issue with the dry fit was the fact that the work tables i'm using have small bumps on them. I think they are where the legs attach. It's unfortunate because things don't lay completely flat as a result. It's a bummer because the tables are otherwise very helpful. They have grooves for the supplied trigger clamps to attach and sort of become a 2-part vice. Helped me stand everything up during the fit.... just didn't help me stand everything up exactly straight.

Name:	IMG_2117.JPG
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	1146078Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2118.JPG
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	1146079

Comment

A little progress today. I made another pass on the internal shelf pieces that hold the mid tunnel so the two braces+PVC fits correctly now. Trimmed a few other panels that were slightly mishapened. Unbelievable how things end up slightly crooked no matter how much care i take.

Because the mid tunnel has to line up perfectly in front and back, i drilled 1/8" guide holes in the front and rear panels at the center of the mid mounting hole. I'm expecting this to help during assembly. I also drilled the 1/8" center holes for the tweeter and woofer on the front baffle and the port on the rear panel. There is a secondary front baffle that i'll also have to align later but i haven't drilled that one out yet.

Name:	IMG_2119.JPG
Size:	601.2 KB
ID:	1146120

Name:	IMG_2120.JPG
Size:	487.2 KB
ID:	1146121

Name:	IMG_2122.JPG
Size:	530.2 KB
ID:	1146122

Comment

I was unsure what to work on next so i thought i'd do a test spray of the inside of the PVC to see how it would look if i try to black it out. Using a test piece of about the same length, i shot it full of black rattle can. Results were so-so. I noticed in a few places the paint didn't take so well. Is PVC difficult to paint in general?

Name:	IMG_2123.JPG
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	1146123

Name:	IMG_2124.JPG
Size:	508.5 KB
ID:	1146124

Comment

Yes. If you want to paint PVC I have found that you need to do a bunch of prep. First sand it down to get it rough, then prime it with this stuff specifically designed for plastics (can't remember name now), and then paint. Otherwise the paint seems to flake off really easily it seems.

Comment

Working...
                                X