No announcement yet.

AXPONA 2013 in Chicago - who's going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AXPONA 2013 in Chicago - who's going?

Originally posted by NickJ View Post
    As always Bryan, thank you for chronicalling and allowing me to live vicariously through you.
    +1
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Thanks Brian! I think that 46K speaker for half off can fixed with a couple Minwax pens and pint of shellac. That must be where the cast iron skillet hit after his wife threw when found out what they cost. Guess he didn't love them enough to take a skillet for them.

Comment

Updated the photobucket link with more pics. I'm done. I saw almost every room but man, was it crowded today. I know I missed a few but honestly I had enough "high end" demos to last a lifetime. Give me a good DIY show any day of the week.

I'll do a post with pics and comments tomorrow at some point, but for now I just have to throw in these two pics for yucks. There were A LOT of cable guys at the show and this cable wins the Oscar.

I should have stuck my foot in the picture for perspective, but this tube amp is HUGE....absolutely HUGE, and checkout the speaker cables:

Here's the view from behind the speaker. Sorry Wolf, but your garden hose speaker cables on the Attitudes have been outdone.

Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

IIRC, I was perusing Audiogon a bit, and those are about $35k speaker cables! At least mine serve a purpose with 8/12AWG conductor setup.
          Looking forward to your review and writeup,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Thanks Bryan.
            Curious to hear you description of CBTs and two other arrays.
            http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
              Updated the photobucket link with more pics. I'm done. I saw almost every room but man, was it crowded today. I know I missed a few but honestly I had enough "high end" demos to last a lifetime. Give me a good DIY show any day of the week.

I'll do a post with pics and comments tomorrow at some point, but for now I just have to throw in these two pics for yucks. There were A LOT of cable guys at the show and this cable wins the Oscar.

I should have stuck my foot in the picture for perspective, but this tube amp is HUGE....absolutely HUGE, and checkout the speaker cables:

Here's the view from behind the speaker. Sorry Wolf, but your garden hose speaker cables on the Attitudes have been outdone.

Stealth Cables--obviously named for their sonic character, not invisibility :p

Nice job on the pics, Bryan. I enjoyed visiting with everyone, too.

Comment

WOW!!! A quarter of a million dollars for a speaker system!!!??? And the damaged speakers for half price; $26K instead of $46K? I guess some sort of sonically infused, cryogenically calculated math was used to come up with $26K being half of $46K. Am I missing something? Maybe the ~ means "somewhere around..."
                Sorry for the cynical tone, but I can't imagine.... However, I suppose there are those who think $300 to build a set of speakers is ludicrous. It's all relative, I guess.
                Good stuff though. Thanks Bryan.
                BTW, what was the price of admission?
                "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
                Bismarck, North Dakota
                My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
                My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Comment

I hear ya, Mike. For a two-day pass it was $25 - not too bad. However, I had a double Ketel One and grapefruit at the hotel bar on Friday night and that was $20!! I think they raised the drink prices when they saw some of the price tags on the showcase systems.
                  Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Here goes my attempt at a virtual walk around. I'm not going to get too critical. Bottom line is I didn't visit a room that sounded completely awful, but at the end of the day it's all relative, isn't it? The cheapest pair of speakers I heard was $350/pr. and the most expensive was $175,000/pr. 90% of the rooms had very elaborate systems and most of them were using some sort of high-resolution or lossless digital media. Tube amplification was just as popular as solid state. I was amazed at the number of turntables I saw but many of them were more for show than for actual usage. I was in several rooms that had the platter spinning but they were playing a CD or other digital media thru the speakers. There were a lot of cable and accessory guys there and I believe a lot of that stuff was on loan to many of the rooms as practically everyone had insane garden hose speaker cables. Another popular speaker cable was the flat ribbon cable and I also spotted several of those crazy braided cables. Everyone had swanky interconnects and ginormous power cords and line conditioners. There were plenty of snake oil items incorporated into several of the systems – things like cable lifters, cable dampers, blah blah blah. ATS Acoustics delivered a truckload of room treatments that were on loan for the exhibitors – I thought that was extremely cool. The guys that used the room treatments properly did have nice sounding rooms.

Anyway, on to the virtual walk around…….
                    Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

One of the first rooms I saw.....Might as well check out something that looks insanely expensive and I wasn't let down in that department. The Von Schweikert Audio room had quite the setup indeed.

The VR-11SE MK2 is definitely for those who feel the need to compensate...LOL. These are 90" tall for gosh sakes and they weigh like 700lbs.

Note the cable lifters:

Rear view:

WTF are these things clipped on to the cables?

Monster tube amp:

$175,000 for these puppies. They had four subs in the room as well. While I was there, the music they played didn't do these behemoths any justice. I'm sure they are capable of some extreme sound reproduction but I couldn't help but dwell on the size and cost of these things and get anywhere close to justifying it by how they sounded.
                      Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Here's the room with the largest speaker cables I have ever seen in my entire life. These things litterally looked like fire hoses.

The DREAM V10 by Stealth

These are going to set you back a measly $16,600 for a single 3-meter length. Honestly, when I walked into this room and saw the monster tube amp sitting on the floor with the hoses connected to it, I paid no attention to the speakers. However, I do remember them sounding ok, but I failed to get any info on them. No doubt nearly $50k in cabling (bi-amped) made them sound that much better. Probably helped compensate for that CTC spacing. :rolleyes:

Last edited by bkeane1259; 03-11-2013, 12:04 AM.
                        Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Here's another room where I was easily distracted, this time by gorgeous turntables. In this room, they actually used the turntables and the records they played were flawless. I could not detect the usual snaps, crackles, pops that I remember from my vinyl days.

The Signature:

The Reference - the spindle clamp/weight is an extra $800.

Actually I was expecting these turntables to be more expensive. Keep in mind you can easily spend another $10k on an arm/cartridge, and these guys have mounts for two arms.

The speakers were Eventus Audio Phobos.
                          Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Boston Acoustics M350 hooked up to some swanky Marantz reference gear. The amp/preamp combo was in the $10k range. These speakers sounded a little tubby and just a bit too commercial for me. I suspect the "boom, sizzle" is intentional. Then again, they also have a more reasonable price point at $2500/pr.

Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Awesome walkthrough Bryan! I hope there is more...please...I am writing an article today and NEED the distractions.

Comment

Dynaudio Confidence series:

I wasn't impressed with these. I thought they were lacking low end and they sounded "flat" -- not flat in a good way. It may have been the music source, but I'd imagine the exhibitors would have put a lot of time and effort into picking suitable music. One problem with shows like this is that there's no music standard to allow for good subjective judgment. Anyway......

Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Working...
                                X