No announcement yet.

AXPONA 2013 in Chicago - who's going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AXPONA 2013 in Chicago - who's going?

Nice catch! I missed the tractrix part on the Volti Alura discription. And on second glance the Procella's WG has a different flange. Also, their propaganda describes it as "constant directivity," so it's probably a different (possibly bespoke) part.

And man, wouldn't it have been nice if Woot had more than one each of the Pio EX in-walls in their sale today?
    --
    "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

Do you have any pictures of the peachtree prototype thingy?

Comment

Originally posted by NickJ View Post
        Do you have any pictures of the peachtree prototype thingy?
        I did ask them but they would not let me take any pictures.
        Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Here's some great coverage of the show - day-by-day: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/axpona_2013/
          Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
            If Pete or Ryan sees this post, would you mind elaborating on the SET monoblocks you have in this picture?
            Hey Craig,

What a fun show. Compared to RMAF in Denver last October, there were at least twice as many people in and out of the room. While there may not have been as many exhibitors, the ratio of attendees to exhibitors had to be much higher. The flow seemed non stop and the days just flew by.

It was great seeing some of the guys from the forum stop by. Got to have dinner and beers with Bryan on Friday and Saturday. Would have been nice if even more of you could have been there. And shaking the hallway with some raucous music Friday night was pretty fun too, until the party pooper knocked on the door . . . :D.

Those monoblocks feature an 805 tube and produce a clean 40W. Pre-stage uses the PSVane CV181 feeding an EL34 as the driver tube. It really was all we needed to fill the room and then some.

Here's another pic showing a close up of the setup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Axpona 2013.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	1147356
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
            Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Got any specs on that PC Pete?

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
              return to the source
              leviathan system thread
              deadhorse thread
              shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
                Got any specs on that PC Pete?
                That music server is a Linux based system.
                R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
                  Who's ready for some glass speaker cabinets?

The Waterfall Victoria Evo
                  I also wondered about unlined, thin walled enclosures........

Coincidentally, I picked up an AudioExpress copy in the lobby and it included a blurb about a Coleridge Design Associates aCube speaker which uses Cast acrylic enclosures which claim good damping properties without lining. I could not verify from the website that the Waterfall design uses cast acrylic, but perhaps it does. Here is a quote from the aCube website:
                  ......acrylic has very high internal damping, therefore the enclosures do not resonate and radiate sound as much as other materials e.g. most plastics, wood and aluminum. This means the acrylic speaker enclosures can be made light and free of internal bracing and damping materials ensuring the sound is crystal clear.....

Perhaps that is why they get by without bracing or lining.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	acube.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1147359

Comment

Originally posted by marvin View Post

Coincidentally, I picked up an AudioExpress copy in the lobby and it included a blurb about a Coleridge Design Associates aCube speaker which uses Cast acrylic enclosures which claim good damping properties without lining. I could not verify from the website that the Waterfall design uses cast acrylic, but perhaps it does. Here is a quote from the aCube website:
                    ......acrylic has very high internal damping, therefore the enclosures do not resonate and radiate sound as much as other materials e.g. most plastics, wood and aluminum. This means the acrylic speaker enclosures can be made light and free of internal bracing and damping materials ensuring the sound is crystal clear.....

Perhaps that is why they get by without bracing or lining.
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]34484[/ATTACH]
                    That may limit sound transmission through the walls to some degree, but it is almost a guarantee that if you took an impedance sweep, you'd see all kinds of little glitches where the internal standing waves are sitting. It looks cool, that's for sure, but cast acrylic doesn't stop the laws of physics from taking over in the enclosed air space.

Comment

Originally posted by marvin View Post
                      I could not verify from the website that the Waterfall design uses cast acrylic, but perhaps it does.
                      They use glass, and they swear by it: http://waterfallaudio.com/en/technol...the_glass.html
                      Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Lol! It cracks me up that at the prices of some of these they had such poor cable managment. That one with the cable stands had a huge mess behind the components. When 3/4 of the price is in the finish and details on most of these why skimp on cable management?

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
                          Lol! It cracks me up that at the prices of some of these they had such poor cable managment. That one with the cable stands had a huge mess behind the components. When 3/4 of the price is in the finish and details on most of these why skimp on cable management?
                          Because as long as you have $800 cable risers lifting the "proper" cables up off off the carpet, the other $20k-worth of cables can be slopped all over the floor in a big ball. :p
                          Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
                            Because as long as you have $800 cable risers lifting the "proper" cables up off off the carpet, the other $20k-worth of cables can be slopped all over the floor in a big ball. :p
                            I quess the risers also negate the orange extension cord. :D
                            Edit sorry it was on these and it was yellow VR-11SE MK2

Comment

I quess the risers also negate the orange extension cord. :D
                              reminds me of kids throwing doo-das like air intake and fart exhausts on old beat up 4-bangers and by the time they are done, based on description of each "improvement" they got 734HP. Yet the car just becomes loud and uncomfortable but not much faster.
                              Good thing tho is that these water hoses are hooked up to actually good speakers.
                              http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Sprezzatura?
                                --
                                "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

Working...
                                X