Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carlspeak
    replied
    Re: AXPONA 2013 in Chicago - who's going?

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
    The ones I heard at AXPONA Chicago had the horn loaded ribbon + super tweeter. They sounded very good.
    I'm sure they do sound good. I heard his originals about a year ago and they did sound good. I believe AJ is a good engineer. He's in a tough business situation there. He must have to stock a reasonable number of drivers to ensure a good supply to meet orders and prevent obsolesence early on due to driver's being discontinued - a situation he cannot control. I hope he's at RMAF this fall. I'm planning to go and look forward to hearing his speakers.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

Originally posted by carlspeak View Post
    This may be old news to some of you, but I found out recently AJ's original Soundfield speakers are no more. The KEF Uni-Q driver is gone (they got mad at AJ I guess) and replaced by a horn loaded ribbon. Bryan's show pics include one of AJ's high-end version with an added super-tweeter dome above the ribbon. Here's a link to AJ's site http://soundfieldaudio.net/Home.html
    The ones I heard at AXPONA Chicago had the horn loaded ribbon + super tweeter. They sounded very good.

Leave a comment:

• carlspeak
    replied

This may be old news to some of you, but I found out recently AJ's original Soundfield speakers are no more. The KEF Uni-Q driver is gone (they got mad at AJ I guess) and replaced by a horn loaded ribbon. Bryan's show pics include one of AJ's high-end version with an added super-tweeter dome above the ribbon. Here's a link to AJ's site http://soundfieldaudio.net/Home.html

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Wow...that was fast. Got this email today -

"Just a Quick Note To Let Everyone Know AXPONA Chicago Is Now Set For April 23-27 2014"

5 days!!! That's gonna be a crapload of laid back female jazz tunes...LOL.

http://www.axpona.com/

Leave a comment:

• fdieck
    replied

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
    :D

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a vendor vs. DIY guys war.
    ....... on a forum run by a vendor for DIYers? Not likely.

Leave a comment:

• fdieck
    replied

Linn Audio signed up to post a link to a review, the one Mattsk8 quoted.
    Its a tough economy and you have to go look for your customers..... But why are they looking here?

Leave a comment:

• fdieck
    replied

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=EN0fkNp4WLs

I will never be able to not think of this video anytime Radialstrahlers are mentioned. I think MBL thinks most of its customers want to be James Bond. High end for snooty ascot wearing industrialist I guess. I want to go to his house and spill wine on something expensive. No I don't hate rich people but I this kind pretense.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
    Wait, what just happened?
    Linn Audio signed up to post a link to a review, the one Mattsk8 quoted.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

Wait, what just happened?

Leave a comment:

• Kingo
    replied

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post

Not to worry,,,a couple of those Radialstrahlers($263,000) cost more than my house...so I'll be DIYing for life..LOL

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Originally posted by Kingo View Post
    @bkeane1259...excellent photojournalism and comment. Thanks for giving me a chance to experience the AXPONA show and those beutiful speakers from faraway!

Leave a comment:

• Kingo
    replied

@bkeane1259...excellent photojournalism and comment. Thanks for giving me a chance to experience the AXPONA show and those beutiful speakers from faraway!

Leave a comment:

• mattsk8
    replied

Originally posted by Linn Audio Loudspeakers View Post
    REGARDING THE LINN AUDIO LOUDSPEAKERS

Impressions

The finish on the cabinets was beautiful - the cherry really offset the drivers well. The design of the cabinet is rather unique - it allows it to fit into the corner a bit easier. Once I sat down and started actively listening, I was immeadiately struck by the warm, full sound. They image really well - despite their size, they disappeared entirely. I really enjoy it when you can leave your eyes open and still not locate where the sounds are coming from. Clarity was simply amazing - in my notes, I jotted down that I could hear piano key strikes and cymbol pings. They were so amazing that I gave it the double exclamation point - just fantastic detail throughout. Vocal clarity was just as impressive - intake of breaths were readily apparent. The mid punch was superb as well - they also got my double exclamation point notation.

Read more: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...#ixzz2OIGPHQlM
    I agree w/ you on the finish for sure, cherry is one of my favorite hardwoods and they finished those very well. I also agree on the sound on most parts, except for calling them warm. They definitely had amazing clarity, but IMO they lacked a bit too much in the midrange. Don't be offended, that's just my opinion. I've never been a big fan of bright speakers and I would call those bright. I also only listened to one track from Dark Side of the Moon (Money); it was a cd and may have been a bad recording.

I will say it was a pleasure to meet the Linn guy. I should've stayed in the room for more listening but I didn't want to hog the music, and if I heard one more jazz tune I was going to puke. When I said I wasn't overly impressed in my earlier comment here, I was hoping someone would chime in w/ a different opinion simply because that's the first time I've ever heard Linn speakers before, and growing up (even though I've never heard them) Linn was like the unobtainable Ferrari of audio to me.

Leave a comment:

• r-carpenter
    replied

I guess I should go, get some popcorn. ^^^
    Or may be it's a trolling attempt? Regardless, popcorn on standby.

Leave a comment:

• Linn Audio Loudspeakers
    replied

REGARDING THE LINN AUDIO LOUDSPEAKERS

Impressions

The finish on the cabinets was beautiful - the cherry really offset the drivers well. The design of the cabinet is rather unique - it allows it to fit into the corner a bit easier. Once I sat down and started actively listening, I was immeadiately struck by the warm, full sound. They image really well - despite their size, they disappeared entirely. I really enjoy it when you can leave your eyes open and still not locate where the sounds are coming from. Clarity was simply amazing - in my notes, I jotted down that I could hear piano key strikes and cymbol pings. They were so amazing that I gave it the double exclamation point - just fantastic detail throughout. Vocal clarity was just as impressive - intake of breaths were readily apparent. The mid punch was superb as well - they also got my double exclamation point notation.

Read more: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...#ixzz2OIGPHQlM

Leave a comment:

Working...
X