OS MTM Build (And So It Begins...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS MTM Build (And So It Begins...)

After reading so many posts about how great the overnight sensations MTM sounded I desided to pull the trigger. My intention with this build was to create a pair of surround speakers. But if they turn out sounding as good as everyone says I may buy two more and use them as mains. Below are some pics of the flat packs I got from DIY sound group.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize_008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	521.5 KB
ID:	1183354Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize_009.jpg
Size:	433.5 KB
ID:	1183355Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize_010.jpg
Size:	679.0 KB
ID:	1183356

A while back I bought some of the black ash laminate that PE had on sale. I tried my hand with it when we first got it on some left over white board. I guess I needed to practice with it so as not to get bubbles and little blemishes. My son Josh (13 years old) cut a peice and stuck it on and smoothed it out and made it nearly picture perfect the first time. I think he just found a new talent.

Name:	resize_007.jpg
Size:	727.1 KB
ID:	1183357

Not too shabby if you ask me. So I think we will cover the cabinets in this laminate and see how it goes. Anyone with any advise on laminating would be great appreciated.

Kevin
    Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
    OS MTM's
    Digger 8 sub
    Overnight Sensations Center Channel
    Sprite Build
    Wolf's PC Speakers
    Minions III with Voxel Sub

Re: OS MTM Build (And So It Begins...)

I used that laminate for my subwoofer build. Only advice I can offer is that I would use some additional adhesive around the edges if possible because the stuff that's on there isn't the best. A lot of my edges are coming up
    My RSS390HO 15" sub build

Comment

Originally posted by Mattcc22 View Post
      I used that laminate for my subwoofer build. Only advice I can offer is that I would use some additional adhesive around the edges if possible because the stuff that's on there isn't the best. A lot of my edges are coming up
      What would you use around the edges?
      Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
      OS MTM's
      Digger 8 sub
      Sprite Build
      Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

I'm not really sure. I've had to go back in spots and put a little super glue under the edges that have come up to stick it back down, but I wouldn't suggest that for the entire speaker. Maybe just some type of clear drying glue could be painted on the edges really thin before sticking it down.

Comment

BTW, your sub looks awesome. It dwarfs your entire AV system. Maybe add one more on the other side. People might get scared when they walk into the room then! :eek:

Kevin
          Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
          OS MTM's
          Digger 8 sub
          Sprite Build
          Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

Thanks, I actually have another sub that has been sitting here just waiting for me to make a box for it! Right now I'm working on the Jeff bagby designed RS180 MTM floorstanders (which I need to get a build thread started on) and then ill have to get that second sub built!

Comment

Do you have a link to the Jeff bagby project?
              Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
              OS MTM's
              Digger 8 sub
              Sprite Build
              Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

Here's the original thread...
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ighlight=rs180

I'm using the rs28F with a small tweak to the crossover taken from here...
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ld-in-Oak-Pics

Comment

Your gonna love those OS MTM's. I just built a pair of MT's for my mother in law and now have an MTM on order for her center channel. I think they sound better than my Polk monitor 60's. They won't get nearly as loud, but they are much cleaner and refined sounding.

Name:	IMAG0652.jpg
Size:	611.6 KB
ID:	1146453

Comment

Right now my mains are Pauls Classix II's and I think they sound great. I am listening to Joe Satriani on them right now.

When Josh (my son) and I are done if we really like the OS MTM's I may order another pair and make a pair of them for mains and a pair for surround duty. I have a cabinet being made right now for the OS CC. I bought the kit from Meniscus and ordered it with the Dayton tweeter because I knew I was getting flat packs from DIY sound group and they are cut for the Dayton tweeter.

Then what I can do is put the Classix II's in my bedroom. Then we'll be rockin two rooms... (Dr. Evil laugh)

Sounds like a lot of work though. Oh well it should be worth it.

Kevin
                    Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                    OS MTM's
                    Digger 8 sub
                    Sprite Build
                    Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by Mattcc22 View Post
                        Thanks, I actually have another sub that has been sitting here just waiting for me to make a box for it! Right now I'm working on the Jeff bagby designed RS180 MTM floorstanders (which I need to get a build thread started on) and then ill have to get that second sub built!
                        there must be a run on jeff's mtm, I just got the drivers and crossover parts last week to start mine too. By the way 007 I built paul's classic II too they are very musical.

Comment

Originally posted by sonex View Post
                          there must be a run on jeff's mtm, I just got the drivers and crossover parts last week to start mine too. By the way 007 I built paul's classic II too they are very musical.
                          I really like the Classix II's. I have them setup as large speakers in my AVR and they produce bass very well. When I replace my subwoofer I will have them setup in the AVR as small speakers so they don't have to reproduce sound below 80Hz. Currently my sub s*cks. So having a speaker that can go down to 34Hz is awesome.

I was looking at the following project: http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/THT.html. It looked like a really awesome sub. Maybe I might build the THT Low Profile version and tuck behind my couch. But that will be down the road... For now I will get my current project done and worry about my ultimate system later on.

Kevin
                          Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                          OS MTM's
                          Digger 8 sub
                          Sprite Build
                          Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                            For vinyl I sealed my last project with two coats of Zinsser 1 Bulls Eye Seal Coat sanding between coats and used a fine 3m pad on the last coat then used a tack cloth to remove any dust.

I pre cut the vinyl and did a dry fit up before any of the backing was removed. I made sure my table was clean before putting the speaker on it. I started in the middle of the bottom. As you probably know peal and smooth as you go. For the corners and end cut I over lap the vinyl and do the final cuts of both layers with a straight edge then peal up remove the scrap under the top layer ( I hope you get the idea).

I was very careful not to stretch the vinyl this time. I think that’s the trick to prevent curling up. I used a hair dry to heat the vinyl to turn the corners and edges. I used plastic like a credit card to smooth the vinyl. I had one piece of plastic that started to scratch the vinyl so I pitched that.

All the corners and edges got a hand sanded small round over.

I hope this helps
                            I already have one speaker covered. Do you think that a clear polyurethane would work? I have a can of it that I haven't even opened yet. I was looking to see if home depot or Lowes had Zinsser 1 Bulls Eye Sealcoat. They have Zinsser 1 Bulls Eye shellac but not the sealcoat. Do you think that the polyurethane would work?

What do you think?
                            Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                            OS MTM's
                            Digger 8 sub
                            Sprite Build
                            Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

I've heard of people using polyurethane to make sure it sticks better with good results. I didn't hear that till after I did mine, and I've had some very minor edge issues. My main issues were the seems where the joints of the wood meet. I thought I had them sanded enough, but I can see them very clearly through the laminate. Not a huge deal though.. The stuff was so easy to use I'd use it again. Like an hour vs days and days of sanding and staining/painting. It looks like any other speaker you would buy commercially. The only reason I wouldn't use it is if I was trying to make my speakers look more like fine furniture than speakers.. which I'm proving to myself currently that I'm incapable of doing :P

Comment

Working...
                              X