Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Crown XLS 1500, or used Adcom GFA 5500??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Crown XLS 1500, or used Adcom GFA 5500??

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post
    You're the devil ! By solid components in the signal chain, what are you referring to? I think my sacd player is solid.
    Everything you have is solid. I was speaking in general.

Comment

Originally posted by jinjuku View Post
      I OWNED the 5503 for two years along with my Crown. I just didn't care for it. Honestly if I could have come across the equivalent Hafler I would have opted for it vs the 550X series. Mr Pass is a stand up guy but he markets his name too much. David Hafler was years ahead of Pass.

Also drop Mr. Pass in the advanced engineering groups at Crown or Lab Gruppen and see how quickly he sinks. These groups are doing stuff that he will never be able to touch.

Smooth on the Adcom meant muddy and a bit of grain to me. If this is what all these 'audiophiles' are raving about in a signature sound then they are bigger loons than I took them for.

My advice to the OP is: A 16-18 year old Adcom or a brand new Crown? Get the Crown if your setup can accommodate. The unspoken supposition that the technology clock actually rolls backward only in Audio is absurd. I'm sure your 1996 NexTel PTT phone just clobbers a current gen iPhone or Galaxy SIII.

I will say this about Parasound and Adcom there is always someone out there willing to give the money you have in them. In the case of my three I actually came out ahead with money in pocket after.

P.S. I have also owned Carver.
      Just curious, which Hafler amps. do you really like?

I've been noticing a trend on ePay where a lot of sellers must believe the old adage "older is better" as prices of older amplifiers have skyrocketed in the past few years.

With the ridiculous prices these people are trying to get for some of the older stuff, the new Crown amps. are looking more & more like a bargain to me.

Comment

Originally posted by foxfire3 View Post
        Just curious, which Hafler amps. do you really like?

I've been noticing a trend on ePay where a lot of sellers must believe the old adage "older is better" as prices of older amplifiers have skyrocketed in the past few years.

With the ridiculous prices these people are trying to get for some of the older stuff, the new Crown amps. are looking more & more like a bargain to me.
        Back in the day the DH. The DH 220 was my preference to the Adcom 555. Many are still around and attest to how bullet proof they were.

Soon as I started hearing about the drive core and what Crown was doing before they released I figured out that the bottom is going to start dropping out on vintage Adcom/Carver/Threshold/Parasound etc... It's certainly going to shrink the willing pool of purchasers as people figure it out for themselves.

Class D is just too efficient in too many areas and all the stuff that the long beards like to say about class D is about 8 years out of date. Class D has been figured out and done right for a few product release cycles now.

Comment

I'll keep my eyes open for a good used DH 220.

I've been wanting to try Class D, but just haven't made the jump because I don't know which one(s) are good and which ones to stay away from.

Comment

Originally posted by foxfire3 View Post
            I'll keep my eyes open for a good used DH 220.

I've been wanting to try Class D, but just haven't made the jump because I don't know which one(s) are good and which ones to stay away from.
            Just out of curiosity, made the jump from what? What are you using now?
            "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
            "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

Jinjuko,
              You definitely seem to know amps very well so I can't argue technical merits with you. But as a consumer who owns many of the products in this thread, the proof is in my pudding at least. We can talk about advancements and new tech until we are blue in the face but what we hear from our amps IS IN FACT the ultimate deciding factor. The only class D amps I have heard and would use full range are BillSchu's amps which are in the range of $5k each. Aside from that, I am open to any a-b testing verse my $180 craigslist ADCOM.
              I do swear by class D for subwoofers and I have since the late 1990's in my car audio days but again, since I do own both amps in this thread, speaking from experience is a pretty powerful point.

Comment

Originally posted by ROTECH View Post
                Jinjuko,
                You definitely seem to know amps very well so I can't argue technical merits with you. But as a consumer who owns many of the products in this thread, the proof is in my pudding at least. We can talk about advancements and new tech until we are blue in the face but what we hear from our amps IS IN FACT the ultimate deciding factor. The only class D amps I have heard and would use full range are BillSchu's amps which are in the range of $5k each. Aside from that, I am open to any a-b testing verse my $180 craigslist ADCOM.
                I do swear by class D for subwoofers and I have since the late 1990's in my car audio days but again, since I do own both amps in this thread, speaking from experience is a pretty powerful point.
                So your experience counts and mine or Grants etc do not. Ok gotcha. Keep in mind the OP can go to Guitar Center and pick up an amp and has 30 days to return it hassle free.

Comment

Your opinion obviously counts! Don't pout! It just seemed to me that your technical knowledge made all other points moot in your eyes. That's what we're all here for, differing viewpoints. The OP clearly wanted opinion, we all had our own. I just didn't state my opinion the same as yours.

Comment

Originally posted by ROTECH View Post
                    Your opinion obviously counts! Don't pout! It just seemed to me that your technical knowledge made all other points moot in your eyes. That's what we're all here for, differing viewpoints. The OP clearly wanted opinion, we all had our own. I just didn't state my opinion the same as yours.
                    When it all boils down I want anyone that is willing to try out some stuff to indeed do so. Two common themes of mine in threads like this:

1: Gear like Adcom/Parasound etc if you are savvy, meaning don't get ripped off, is often movable for what you had into it
                    2: Gear like Crown/Yamaha etc are a trip away to a Guitar Center and they have a really easy return policy

My technical knowledge is just knowledge. But is a reason Crown has broken the $500 price barrier on amplification that is clean, neutral, and doesn't appear to color the signal. JD Bennett at Peavey did like wise (and a custom super capacitor) with the IPR series.

Taking 500 individual soldered on a board components at 10 volts and getting them on a single piece of silicon is a pretty good feat. I'm still not sure how this matches up with what you might consider detrimental all without having a good, honest, blind listen to something like the 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post
                      Just out of curiosity, made the jump from what? What are you using now?
                      I only use active monitors when it comes to smaller speakers. I don't waste my money on passive bookshelf type speakers anymore.

For my larger passive speakers, I'm using a Cambridge Audio integrated amplifier as I like the idea of everything in one box...plus remote control.

Comment

My thoughts were on line with Jinjuku when I picked up my Adcom 5800 late last week for $300, that I would at least be able to get the $300 back out of it if needed.

When I auditioned the 5800 at the guys house I did notice some 'grit' on the high end from the left channel on his system, and had some concerns, we swapped to his Hafler and the 'grit' was still there, swapped left and right speakers and the 'grit' followed - so basically was in the speaker, not the amp.

I am sure at some point I will get to here a XLS (I hope) and even more

As with all that is subjective (I will use that word for lack of a better, and not with any intent) - If the end user is happy = awesome!
                        For me I still do enjoy learning, and hearing (reading) different peoples point of view and enjoy/respect the amount of time and experiance that others have put into this addicti.... hobby

Mattsk8 - I too am now on the hunt for a pre-amp and little idea at what I am looking for (not trying to hijack thread - will start a new one when the hunt becomes serious)
                        Last edited by Thomas Brown; 02-12-2013, 03:27 PM. Reason: I can't spell
                        THOMAS BROWN aka "STINKY"

I've got an idea - an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about. - Peter Griffin

I DON'T CARE WHAT KIND OF MUSIC YOU LISTEN TO, OR LIKE.
                        SHUT UP, PUT DOWN THE WALLS OF PRETENSION FOR 1 SECOND AND JUST LISTEN TO THE SONGS
                        - SCOTT IAN

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Brown View Post
                          Mattsk8 - I too am now on the hunt for a pre-amp and little idea at what I am looking for (not trying to hijack thread - will start a new one when the hunt becomes serious)
                          I'll post what I find w/ this B&K once I have some time to play w/ it if you're interested; supposed to get it on Friday so I'll have the weekend to play. I got it because it seemed to have the audio bells and whistles I was looking for and users seemed to rate it well for sound (aside from some complaints of whining, which I really hope isn't an issue, but that seemed to be resolved in the Reference 50 preamps w/ new firmware).

I listened to the Adcom amp I bought through a Adcom preamp and that sounded good. I don't rememeber the model but the owner did say he was probably going to sell that too. No remote and no tuner, just a 2 channel preamp.
                          "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
                          "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

Looking forward to reading about your impressions.

I would be willing to try a Adcom 2 channel preamp, if it becomes available.
                            but, no remote - I would have to get up and walk to a volume knob, like the stone ages when you used a toucan for a record player hehehehe
                            THOMAS BROWN aka "STINKY"

I've got an idea - an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about. - Peter Griffin

I DON'T CARE WHAT KIND OF MUSIC YOU LISTEN TO, OR LIKE.
                            SHUT UP, PUT DOWN THE WALLS OF PRETENSION FOR 1 SECOND AND JUST LISTEN TO THE SONGS
                            - SCOTT IAN

Comment

I can lend my voice in support of not-quite-'vintage' power amps. The amplifier in my own system is a Hafler 9270, designed by Jim Strickland of Acoustat fame. Though not advertised as a "Trans-Nova" amplifier, it is a very robust class-AB design (135WPC @ 8 ohms, 200WPC @ 4) with decently high bias current. Even though it's over 20 years old, I've had it professionally looked over, and all it required was cleaning one of the gain pots. It has continued to run well and sound great.

To the person interested in assembling a modest audio system of high quality, used equipment from Audiogon is a great choice, because older audio equipment was built to last - a trait shared with only the 'high end' of current audio products. I agree with designers like Van Alstine that the future of the audio hobby depends on affordable, long-lasting, and solidly-engineered gear - not only for the super-rich, but for everyone. I particularly like the Dayton Audio APA150 in this regard, because it's a simple but robust design based on discrete components that sounds good and has demonstrated excellent reliability and longevity in the field.
                              Best Regards,

Rory Buszka
                              Product Manager, Dayton Audio

The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Comment

Does anyone have any information about the Drivecore amps' output filter?

The one legitimate knock on Class D is that their frequency response up top varies with the impedance of the driven loudspeaker. The reason is, basically, standard design practice for Class D is to put a passive lowpass filter just before the output taps. I think Hypex does it a little differently. Does Crown as well?
                                --
                                "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

Working...
                                X