Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duratex and MDF finishing questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Duratex and MDF finishing questions

    Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
    Duratex is da bomb. You should buy more than you need because you'll like it so much you will use it again sometime. I agree with the above comments about being able to control the texture. You can get an aggressive high-build texture with a nappy roller or a fairly smooth texture with a sponge roller. I'd recommend you sand the first coat as it will make your minor cabinet imperfections disappear. Then your second coat will make your baffle/cabinet look like perfection. Just one other tidbit of advice: If you use Bondo on your cabinets, you will need multiple Duratex coats over that area, and sanding in between helps a lot. Duratex doesn’t like Bondo, but it will work just fine with a couple coats.

    Duratex porn for your viewing pleasure.....





























    Looks awesome. I bet if you use a primer filler over bondo, even rattle can would probably work, you wouldnt need so much of the black stuff to cover the bondo spots.
    How much is that stuff?

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Duratex and MDF finishing questions

      $52.50/gallon.

      http://store.acrytech.com/Speaker-Ca...ade-Black.html

      FYI this is available in spray type as well for those of you with spray guns.
      Your results may vary.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Duratex and MDF finishing questions

        Wow Brian, you really have used it a lot! Hopefully I'll get similar results. Thanks all, Mark

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Duratex and MDF finishing questions

          No seams.

          "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

          http://www.diy-ny.com/

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Duratex and MDF finishing questions

            Originally posted by Face View Post
            No seams.

            Wow those look incredible! Those AE drivers always caught my eye but its way too far out of the budget.

            TOP GEAR FTW....
            Your results may vary.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Duratex and MDF finishing questions

              Originally posted by mattp View Post
              $52.50/gallon.

              http://store.acrytech.com/Speaker-Ca...ade-Black.html

              FYI this is available in spray type as well for those of you with spray guns.
              I have several spray guns from 1.2mm tip up to a 2.3mm tip, but I think rolling that stuff is better to get a textured finish. Spraying would limit the texture control. Pretty cheap stuff. Any paint would cost twice that even for low end paint

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Duratex and MDF finishing questions

                I wish I would have found out about Duratex before, makes the finishing process soooooo much easier. The gallon goes a long way as well, have finished 2 6.5cuft subs, 8 cuft and a small platform to elevate my TV a little more and still have a little over a half gallon left.

                One of these days I am going to experiment on a piece of scrap with applying maybe 4 coats of Duratex with some light sanding in between each coat to try and get as smooth a finish as possible. Then I will let it fully cure for a week or more before lightly sanding and buffing for a gloss finish, anyone ever try that?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Duratex and MDF finishing questions

                  Originally posted by Mjaudio View Post
                  I wish I would have found out about Duratex before, makes the finishing process soooooo much easier. The gallon goes a long way as well, have finished 2 6.5cuft subs, 8 cuft and a small platform to elevate my TV a little more and still have a little over a half gallon left.

                  One of these days I am going to experiment on a piece of scrap with applying maybe 4 coats of Duratex with some light sanding in between each coat to try and get as smooth a finish as possible. Then I will let it fully cure for a week or more before lightly sanding and buffing for a gloss finish, anyone ever try that?
                  If you are going to do all that, and you want a gloss finish, you might look into automotive paints. Especially if you have the capability to spray. It would go alot faster. Essentially what you are describing is using the duratex to achieve a smooth finish when there are other things that would do that in a single application, like a primer surfacer
                  I once painted 80% of a GMC Yukon with only 2 quarts of base coat. Most black paints cover in darn near one coat. Not cuite, but almost

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Duratex and MDF finishing questions

                    There is the rub, I don't have or want to go into setting up a spray rig. A friend of mine has a spray rig I could use but it is just something I do not like to do, I would rather pay someone to spray on a finish. I don't mind rolling on the Duratex though and even though I know it's more time consuming it relaxes me which is the opposite of spraying which aggravates me.

                    I have never been a fan of the finishing portion of DIY but with Duratex it is so easy I don't mind anymore. That was never the case when I tried spraying even though I came out with good results I just always have hated the process.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Duratex and MDF finishing questions

                      Plus, Duratex has no harmful fumes...It smells like NOTHING. You could use it in your dinning room although that probably wouldn't earn you any points with the spousal unit. My wife hates me when I use rattle can paint. Having an attached garage ain't all it's cracked up to be.
                      Bryan K.

                      Midwest Audio Club

                      Speedster | Sub Attaché | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | COÜGAR, COUGAR II and COÜGAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Duratex and MDF finishing questions

                        Bryan is correct about the fumes. I used it in my basement without any issues.
                        "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

                        http://www.diy-ny.com/

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Duratex and MDF finishing questions

                          I want to say that I've SPRAYED duratex before out of a hopper as per their directions. GO FOR ROLL ON!!! I wish I would have just rolled it because I think I would have had a better opinion of the stuff. It probably goes a longer way rolled on and can look better in the end.....spraying it was a pain!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Duratex and MDF finishing questions

                            Originally posted by killersoundz View Post
                            I want to say that I've SPRAYED duratex before out of a hopper as per their directions. GO FOR ROLL ON!!! I wish I would have just rolled it because I think I would have had a better opinion of the stuff. It probably goes a longer way rolled on and can look better in the end.....spraying it was a pain!
                            Did you thin it? The pic of it being rolled on was obviously way too high in viscosity to spray through any gun not designed for house paint.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Duratex and MDF finishing questions

                              Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
                              Duratex is da bomb. You should buy more than you need because you'll like it so much you will use it again sometime. I agree with the above comments about being able to control the texture. You can get an aggressive high-build texture with a nappy roller or a fairly smooth texture with a sponge roller. I'd recommend you sand the first coat as it will make your minor cabinet imperfections disappear. Then your second coat will make your baffle/cabinet look like perfection. Just one other tidbit of advice: If you use Bondo on your cabinets, you will need multiple Duratex coats over that area, and sanding in between helps a lot. Duratex doesn’t like Bondo, but it will work just fine with a couple coats.

                              Duratex porn for your viewing pleasure.....





























                              After taking a 2nd look at the porn here (you do amazing craft by the way) How do you recess your drivers, as in what tools, bits etc.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Duratex and MDF finishing questions

                                A lot of folks use a router, circle jig (Jasper or Router Buddy) and a 1/4" spiral bit. Others will use a rabbet bit for the rebate. You will have the best results if you use a bit made for plunging (i.e. not a normal straight bit like you'd use for a dado).
                                I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                                OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                                Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                                Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                                Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                                LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X