Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

PSD-Lite Beta 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSD-Lite Beta 2

There's an updated version of the program in the link below. It now includes a .NET version of Jeff's WBCD box modeling program, along with a splicing tool. It uses the same Benson model that Jeff used for WBCD, which is more accurate than other box modeling programs. It's got a totally re-written interface for the crossover design module, and I made the schematic options the same as what Jeff used in PCD, so it should be a bit more familiar to PCD users. It also imports CSP files so you can test it with existing PCD designs. And as with the previous version, you can model the bass boost circuit in plate amps and design Linkwitz Transform circuits.

It's got a lot of other changes--more Help files, ability to change colors as well as customize the charts. As before, most of the values can be entered by scrolling with the mousewheel, so data entry can be very fast. With the box modeling tool, the program should be more fun to use.

There is a Response editor for modifying the FRD data that lets you view and change individual values and extract phase using an FFT-based algorithm. There are a couple of additional features still not implemented in the Response editor, but those will eventually get finished.

As before, it saves and loads the program state using an XML schema that is described in one of the help files. So it is a completely "open" format that can be used to exchange data with other loudspeaker design tools.

This program is a spin-off of a larger program (PSD), and it hasn't been tested much, so I apologize if anyone wastes time tripping over bugs and gets confused by things that aren't logically organized. I'll make some quick fixes if someone points them out, but I'll be leaving the PSD programs alone for a while to shift attention back to the active version (ASD). But I wanted to make this available for people to play with and maybe get some feedback that will help me with the other programs.

Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Re: PSD-Lite Beta 2

Thank you Neil.
    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

I'll have to check it out. I just started using Jeff's PCD, and while it's incredibly useful, relying on Excel for a UI also makes it incredibly cumbersome. That kind of power deserves equal effort to the interface.

Comment

Does it work with Vista 64 bit? I tried to install but get following error:

Component Windows Installer 4.5 has failed to install with the following error message:
        "Incorrect function. "

The following components were not installed:
        - Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (x86 and x64)

The following components failed to install:
        - Windows Installer 4.5

See the setup log file located at 'C:\Users\MARINO\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDA708.tmp\in stall.log' for more information.

Comment

Hmmm...hadn't heard of that one. But it sounds like a "permissions" issue, since .NET4 and the Windows Installer should run fine on Vista. Try unzipping the files and look at their properties, and remove "blocked" attributes. You may need to run the install.exe as administrator. I don't have Vista anymore so I'm having to guess at the steps.
          Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

i had to update .net 4 and it looks fine on x64 win 7

Comment

Originally posted by SirNickity View Post
              I'll have to check it out. I just started using Jeff's PCD, and while it's incredibly useful, relying on Excel for a UI also makes it incredibly cumbersome. That kind of power deserves equal effort to the interface.
              I think it's an interface that an engineer will love :D. It's schematic-centric, which most tekkies will find intutive and others may not like.

It was tedious to implement: every component and line gets "drawn" using Paint operations, and there are many, many lines of code required to draw the schematics--far more than I expected. But I think the end result is pretty nice. My first attempt (Beta 1) was just using textboxes plopped onto a graphic of a schematic, but I did it during a short hospital stay on a laptop, so it was rushed. This version is a lot more satisfying--more what I had in mind originally.

Comment

Originally posted by manu et deo View Post
                i had to update .net 4 and it looks fine on x64 win 7
                That did the trick,,,thanks!...Working good!

Comment

Why can't EYE see a link?

Comment

Can you see it now?

Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Software/PSD_Lite.zip
                    Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attach | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | COGAR, COUGAR II and COGAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

It is in the sig
                      Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
                      Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - FRD Consortium Archive - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

What's that mean?

Comment

Yes, thanks Bryan. Wha up wit dat?

Comment

Any one know if or how I could install this on my android phone?
                            https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                              What's that mean?
                              You can add a signature to your posts, and that is where I put the link. Kinda lazy, but it was already there so I just referred to it as "below". I guess it's easy to miss if you tend to ignore all that signature information that some people have.

Anyway, give the program a try...it's fairly fast and it's easy to use. It should be as accurate as the comparable Excel tools. It's got a built-in PCD importer (it reads the CSP file) and if there is enough interest I could add a CSP exporter so you could easily go back and forth for comparisons. Please have fun with it--all I'm hoping for in exchange is some feedback to help make it more useful.

Comment

Working...
                              X