OT: the 500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT: the 500

OT, but still pretty cool about that factory. That same door opened due west and when we had that solar eclipse a while back I stood out there and watched the whole thing with my welding helmet
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Speed glass?
      Craig

The lowest possible F3 box alignment is not always the best alignment.

Designing and building speaker projects are like playing with adult Lego Blocks for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ejh2854 View Post
        lol You win although here in Charlotte we get four-wide fuel cars at the spring race, which is pretty durn impressive at the starting line.

Amen to the Z-Max dragway. But if you really want to feel power, try being on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier with F-14 Tom Cats taking off.
        HAGD,
        Marc

Even though I try to tell everyone upfront, understand that I am still a Newb. I wish the status of Seasoned Veteran/Senior Member, etc. was earned with time not posts...

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
          Speed glass?
          Yeppers
          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

fuelers can also trigger labor pains !!!! second round of qualifying we figured it out ! darn those were long wabbles to the car and back ! i too use to be a die hard nascar fan ,now the 7 minute nascar rewind is all i need !
            donc

Comment

I was watching the commercials on Fox, and they kept interrupting them with a few minutes of a race. Really, in a 34 minute span (by my stop watch) there were 21:30 min:sec. of commercials and 10:05 of racing and the rest Fox fill-ins. I switched over to a movie after calling the local Fox station and filing an FCC Form 326 of the commercials being 8 to 10 dB LOUDER than the programming. That will cost them $250,000 if I'm the only one who complained (and I'm not!).
              I'm with John, you ain't seen RACING until you've seen bikes go from 190 MPH to 20MPH around a hairpin curve, back to 170 MPH in 100 meters, back to 100 through the chicane back to 190 down the chute, around some more hairpins, and accelerate faster than your eyes can follow, with guys like me slapping brake levers of the guy beside him at 190 MPH, and handlebars and fairings banging HARDER than NASCAR gum foil fenders. Scooter riders have been doing this at 100 MPH+ for over a century (Glenn Curtiss anyone?) and early guys did it on 1/8th mile board tracks with 61 cubic inch V-twin engines on bicycle frames burning methanol, no brakes, no gears, no throttles. Kicking, punching, and ramming were all encouraged by the riders.

Comment

That's right Whitneyville1! My sig line says it all, from a guy that was a champ on 2 & 4-wheels. Plus, my grandpa's older brother, Ralph, rode on those boardtracks in the teens. He rode for Indian, who was the ORIGINAL "Wrecking Crew" factory team, not Harley as many think. He also rode for Harley and Excelsior before the boards were shut down all together. He still competed on bikes, but also started auto racing and won the Indy 500 in the mid-1920's. My grandpa's first bike was a late-teens Thor. I grew up around these guys and gals, who all rode their own bikes, men & women. I went to Sturgis with grandpa on the pillion of his 1939 Indian Chief before my hips fused by the time I was 14. That was way before the chamber of commerce took it over from the Jack Pine motorcycle club and turned it into a poseur fest. I was there on my Kawasaki KZ440 around 1984-85 when Harley's lawyers went through the place, shutting down all the mom/pop vendors that had been there for decades, serving them legal papers and threatening lawsuits unless they agreed to pay an outrageous licensing fee. Many were just sewing patches on jackets and selling t-shirts...same stuff that they had been doing & selling for years with no problems. I also went to the salt flats on that Indian for Speed Week one year. Amazing memories from an amazing family history.

John A.
                "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                Pioneer TX-9500 II
                Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                Statement Monitors
                Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

John, I helped one of my Old Bike buddies resurrect a 1913 Ace and he rode it every inch from Tulsa to Sturgis (no trailer queening!) and with his acetylene brass headlight with a silver-plated reflector (that looked like a seachlight!) he won both the oldest bike ridden in and longest distance CONFIRMED ridden in solo that year with total loss lubrication and a 52* Vee-Twin because it used a German Bosch magneto and the Bosch magneto was set-up for firing at 26* intervals and couldn't be changed. Harley-Davidson (and all 45* twins) had to use Mallory magnetos, which were in VERY short supply. Oliver Briggs and Cyrus Stratton were working on their flywheel magneto to "get around" these shortages(!). Remember when General Motors was smart enough to BUY small companies like Frigidaire, Allis-Chalmers, Ransom Elias Olds, the Chevrolet Brothers Racing Car Company, Detroit Electric Car Co. (DelCo), oh well.

Comment

Working...
                  X