Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

5 - 6" woofer with smooth roll off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 - 6" woofer with smooth roll off

I'm looking for a 5 to 6" woofer that meets the following criteria, and instead of just trying to scour the internet, I figured I'd ask for opinions:

1) smooth top end roll off
    2) clean CSD
    3) ok or better harmonic distortion
    4) cost is reasonable, 20 to 40$

They are ranked in order of importance too. So far I've found the Tang Band W5-704D that fits: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...64-850&scqty=2
    Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
    Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - FRD Consortium Archive - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Re: 5 - 6" woofer with smooth roll off

# 2 and #3 can be had within the constraints of #4, but #1 is tough. That TB is a very good option, and a rare option under those constraints.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I have the 704ds and they are great. I'm not one for subjective commentary, but for what you are looking for they are probably your best bet. I haven't found another 5.25" that can reach as high as those, and I've listened to a fair amount of drivers.

Comment

Aura NS6?
        --
        "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

Originally posted by Pallas View Post
          Aura NS6?
          FAILS #4!

HAHAHAHA, Ok I couldn't help myself. Really the joke is on me, as setting a minimum cost is plain dumb. I should have said: No more than 40$
          Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
          Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - FRD Consortium Archive - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Silver Flute! Or Try the Hi-Vi L5 or L6. The Tang Baned driver you picked is a good one, but limited bass performance.
            "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
            exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
              Silver Flute! Or Try the Hi-Vi L5 or L6. The Tang Baned driver you picked is a good one, but limited bass performance.
              +1 I really like the silverflutes. The wool cone makes for a nice midrange. The hivi's look at least to be very nice as well. May grab a pair of the 6" for a project this summer.
              https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

I'm a fan of the Peerless SDS line, but I'm certainly no expert. To me anyways, they sound real nice for the price.
                My modest builds:
                Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
                Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
                Armadillo Center Channel
                Au-Rock-O Sub
                Tarkus
                Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Peerless is always a good choice.
                  "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                  exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...r-cone-woofer/
                    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Those SB13s mentioned in another thread and available at <cough> Madisound for $19 look
                      very nice.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Re: 5 - 6&quot; woofer with smooth roll off

Originally posted by donradick View Post
                        Those SB13s mentioned in another thread and available at <cough> Madisound for $19 look
                        very nice.
                        I'm waiting for a pair of these to show up on my door step soon. If they match the specs that Mad provides, they should be very nice for the $$$.
                        RYAN N.

"Why do you have the stereo on while you're watching TV?" - "....Cause I like to party."

RSS390HF Build - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224998
                        AviaTrix Build - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=230372
                        Wolf's PC Speakers Build - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...84#post1838384
                        Overnight Sensations MT Build - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ation-MT-build

Comment

The SBAcoustics Sean to have a weird distortion curve in the 1300-5000 range nothing to worry about at that that price, and who knows maybe it was just that particular driver.
                          David

Comment

Probably a similar distortion profile to other $19 woofers.
                            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

OP's #1 and #4 are pretty much mutually exclusive IMHO. Speaker mfgrs know when they have a winner as far as performance is concerned and price them accordingly.

Quote from John Arbuckle: "You get what you pay for"
                              Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

Working...
                              X