5 - 6" woofer with smooth roll off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 - 6" woofer with smooth roll off

I'm looking for a 5 to 6" woofer that meets the following criteria, and instead of just trying to scour the internet, I figured I'd ask for opinions:

1) smooth top end roll off
    2) clean CSD
    3) ok or better harmonic distortion
    4) cost is reasonable, 20 to 40$

They are ranked in order of importance too. So far I've found the Tang Band W5-704D that fits: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...64-850&scqty=2
    Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
    Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - FRD Consortium Archive - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Re: 5 - 6" woofer with smooth roll off

# 2 and #3 can be had within the constraints of #4, but #1 is tough. That TB is a very good option, and a rare option under those constraints.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I have the 704ds and they are great. I'm not one for subjective commentary, but for what you are looking for they are probably your best bet. I haven't found another 5.25" that can reach as high as those, and I've listened to a fair amount of drivers.

Comment

Aura NS6?
        --
        "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

Originally posted by Pallas View Post
          Aura NS6?
          FAILS #4!

HAHAHAHA, Ok I couldn't help myself. Really the joke is on me, as setting a minimum cost is plain dumb. I should have said: No more than 40$
          Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
          Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - FRD Consortium Archive - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Silver Flute! Or Try the Hi-Vi L5 or L6. The Tang Baned driver you picked is a good one, but limited bass performance.
            "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
            exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
              Silver Flute! Or Try the Hi-Vi L5 or L6. The Tang Baned driver you picked is a good one, but limited bass performance.
              +1 I really like the silverflutes. The wool cone makes for a nice midrange. The hivi's look at least to be very nice as well. May grab a pair of the 6" for a project this summer.
              https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

I'm a fan of the Peerless SDS line, but I'm certainly no expert. To me anyways, they sound real nice for the price.
                My modest builds:
                Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
                Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
                Armadillo Center Channel
                Au-Rock-O Sub
                Tarkus
                Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Peerless is always a good choice.
                  "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                  exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...r-cone-woofer/
                    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Those SB13s mentioned in another thread and available at <cough> Madisound for $19 look
                      very nice.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Re: 5 - 6&quot; woofer with smooth roll off

Originally posted by donradick View Post
                        Those SB13s mentioned in another thread and available at <cough> Madisound for $19 look
                        very nice.
                        I'm waiting for a pair of these to show up on my door step soon. If they match the specs that Mad provides, they should be very nice for the $$$.
                        RYAN N.

"Why do you have the stereo on while you're watching TV?" - "....Cause I like to party."

RSS390HF Build - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224998
                        AviaTrix Build - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=230372
                        Wolf's PC Speakers Build - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...84#post1838384
                        Overnight Sensations MT Build - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ation-MT-build

Comment

The SBAcoustics Sean to have a weird distortion curve in the 1300-5000 range nothing to worry about at that that price, and who knows maybe it was just that particular driver.
                          David

Comment

Probably a similar distortion profile to other $19 woofers.
                            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

OP's #1 and #4 are pretty much mutually exclusive IMHO. Speaker mfgrs know when they have a winner as far as performance is concerned and price them accordingly.

Quote from John Arbuckle: "You get what you pay for"
                              Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

Working...
                              X