Build - Polytope

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build - Polytope

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truncated_cuboctahedron, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedean_solid. It looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	600px-Uniform_polyhedron-43-t012.png
Views:	1
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1183562Click image for larger version

Name:	design-pic0.jpg
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	1183563

While it might work, it is really big and pretty ugly, just a bad snowman of a speaker. Working it a bit more, I looked at overlapping shapes a bit to make something more compact, with this as a result:

Name:	design-pic1.jpg
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	1183564

Definitely better and might work. Problem is that when I look at the shapes I will need to cut and piece together, it will be a total nightmare. Need to compact things a little more and avoid as many concave joins as possible. Dropping to two joined shapes instead of three was a good improvement and pretty close to workable:

Name:	design-pic2.jpg
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	1183565Click image for larger version

Name:	design-pic3a.jpg
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	1183566

The challenge here is how to place the three drivers in a way that will produce good sound and will keep some level of symmetry. My approach is to actually open up part of the hexagons near the bottom and mount the woofer in a baffle that goes across the midpoint of the hex and the bottom of the elongated octagons.

Re: Build - Polytope

With cutouts for the drivers, the overall shape looks like this:

Name:	design-pic5.jpg
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	1147159

With some generic speakers added to the model, the result will look like this:

Name:	design-pic6a.jpg
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	1147160Click image for larger version

Name:	VolumeFormula.png
Size:	1.8 KB
ID:	1147161Click image for larger version

Name:	design-pic7.jpg
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1147162

This pretty much wraps up the basic design steps. The next step is the actual cutting & gluing and cursing of construction. More to follow as I get that part written up.

Xander

Comment

That is some interesting math, and an interesting design, for sure. Ought to make for an interesting build with reasonably high-level of difficulity.

I do remember a set of Tanberg speakers from the 70's that were faceted spheres like your first pic. I can't remember how they sounded, but they looked interesting. They were a orange color, too.

Good luck.
      Andy.

Comment

I am curious about the building process you will use, are all of the edge bevels 22.5 degrees?

Comment

Part 2 - Construction

With the design in hand, the next step is the cabinet construction. Transferring the paper layout to the actual boards involved a lot of pencil drawing and double checking of edge lengths. Cutting out the major groups of faces resulted in this:

Name:	construction-pic1.jpg
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1147207

From there a long series of cuts on both table saw and mitre saw to produce the pile of basic faces:

Name:	construction-pic2.jpg
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1147208

Each face now has to be mitred in accordance with how it will connect to adjacent faces. In answer to the question by TN Allen, the dihedral angles depend on the combination of faces:
          • 135 degrees for the octagon-square angle
          • 125 degrees 16 minutes for the octagon-hexagon angle
          • 144 degrees, 44 minutes for the hexagon-square angle

The set on the saw is (180 - dihedral angle) / 2. So, there are 22.5 degree mitres on each edge between an octagon and a square. An edge between an octagon and a hexagon would be mitred at about 27.5 degrees.

The cutting and mitering done, the next step was construction of a jig that could hold pieces in place while dryfitting and during the glue process. On consultation with a friend that actually does woodworking for a living, he recommended investing in a biscuit joiner. This was a great investment and in many respects made it possible - I don't know how I would have kept the faces in place during glueing, or gotten the rigidity that comes with all those thirsty biscuits in every edge.

The jig was built to match the width of the octagons and the squares. The elongated octagons and squares dry fitted in the jig looks like this:

Name:	construction-pic4.jpg
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1147209

The real challenge isn't the elongated center, it is the end caps. I numbered each piece and on each edge marked what piece was adjacent, like this:

Name:	construction-pic5.jpg
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1147210

After cutting the slots for the biscuits, I worked on fitting the end caps together. None of the pieces was exactly correct, so there was a bit of trimming here and there. Note the lines connecting each pair of faces, these were for placing the joiner when cutting slots, but they later came in really handy during gluing - they provided a guide for just how much each piece needed to be moved to get everything into place.

Name:	construction-pic6.jpg
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1147211

Comment

Glueing the pieces together had to be done all at once. Unlike 90 degree joins, there's no way to add another piece to the end cap once it has dried. Essentially every piece gets glue for the biscuits, glue along the edges, and is loosely fitted to adjacent pieces. Then all of the pieces are squeezed together until everything is in place. After glueing the main chamber together, it looks like this:

Name:	construction-pic7.jpg
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1147212

There really aren't any clamps that work for these angles, so I put bands around the main body like the one shown below (although I actually used several bands, not one), and a weight on the top (not shown) so that all of the faces were under pressure towards each other.

Name:	construction-pic9.jpg
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1147213

I used normal Titebond for the biscuits and construction adhesive along all the edges. The construction adhesive is nice because it doesn't run like the yellow glue, so during the process of glueing and fitting, it doesn't drip all over the place. I did keep the adhesive to the inner part of the edge because I didn't want to spend a lot of time sanding it down later (it is really hard when dry). The view looking from the open bottom towards the top after glueing:

Name:	construction-pic10.jpg
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1147214

While there may glue along all the edges, things aren't perfect. Looking at the outside, there are visible seams between many of the faces. Below is a view of some of the worst. All of these openings will need to be filled and sanded flat.

Name:	construction-pic11.jpg
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1147215

Comment

The process of filling in seams and getting it all nice and flat starts with pushing Elmers wood filler into all the cracks, letting it dry, and sanding it down. After the first application of filler it looked like this:

Name:	construction-pic12.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1147216

After sanding this down, the edges were in much better shape, but not good enough to move on. Looking at the edges there are visible flaws.

Name:	construction-pic13.jpg
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1147217

After a second round of filling and sanding, the result is much better:

Name:	construction-pic14.jpg
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	1147218

Almost there. However, if you look along the edge up and to the right of the corner, you can see a defect in the edge. The final round to touch these up only involved the affected areas, like this:

Name:	construction-pic15.jpg
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1147219

After getting the top and sides into shape, I added the bottom and went through the same filling and sanding procedure.

Name:	construction-pic16.jpg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1147220

Comment

The base that goes under the the woofer was the final piece to construct. Fortunately, the same jig used for the main body could be reused for the base:

Name:	construction-pic17.jpg
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1147221

A bit of tidying up was needed on the bottom of the main body. I connected it to the rest of the body using glue and screws. (remember the problem about joining mitered pieces after the fact?) As the screws went in at angle in order to go through the bottom and into the adjacent faces, part of the heads were sticking out. A few minutes with a Dremel cured that and made for a kind of pretty display.

Name:	construction-pic18.jpg
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1147222

At this point, the main body of the speaker is together. While I'm sure I should have cut the holes for the drivers before assembly, it just didn't happen that way. So, it was time for drawing lines and circles. I started by getting axes drawn as cleanly as possible. Using diagonals across faces was a good way to double check.

Name:	construction-pic19.jpg
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1147223

Using those lines and figuring offsets so that each driver would be centered, I ended up with circles and more importantly center points that could be used for routing.

Name:	construction-pic20.jpg
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1147224

The cutting of the holes was definitely stressful. Since I had already invested quite a bit of time in construction, an error here would be really unpleasant. I used a pretty standard circle cutting jig. Note: it doesn't fit on my good router, but does fit on the low end plunge router I got from Lowes because it and a table together were only $75. I think the bits I used for cutting cost more than the router.

Name:	construction-pic21.jpg
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1147225

Comment

..... Wow. That is really awesome. Just the box is impressive, none the less the fact that the boxes will be speakers. :applause:

Comment

Nearly done with the construction. After using the router & jig, cutting once for the flush mount and a second time for the hole. Of course all three drivers are different sizes (even the 10" aren't quite the same) and different thicknesses. All in all the circle cutting jig worked. A view of the cabinets, upside down so you can see the woofer cutout:

Name:	construction-pic22.jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1147226

Just a couple more things to do. The first is layout of the ports and the plate where the connections will go. I used tau (the golden mean, limit of ratio of successive Fibonacci #'s, ...) to determine the vertical placement of the centers of both. Not that is makes any real difference, but I needed some scheme for the measurement.

Name:	construction-pic23.jpg
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1147227

I cut the holes for the ports using a Forstner bit. They are really nice for making clean holes. The flat drill bits always seem to shred the back side of the hole.

Name:	construction-pic24.jpg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1147228

I didn't do the cutout for the terminal place. Parts Express sent me only one of them (I ordered 4) and apparently discontinued the line. I would have preferred none to just one. Not happy about that. I did leave 1/16" drill holes at the corners of opening so I wouldn't have to measure again after the paint goes on. Within the outline of the terminal place I drilled holes for the Speakon connectors so I could do some testing while waiting for replacements.

I fitted the base using screws to make the (temporary) attachment. The base needs to be removable in order to be able to remove the woofer. I haven't figured out a better way to make the attachment. They turn out to be pretty unobtrusive since they are on the bottom and most people won't have their heads down there.

Name:	construction-pic25.jpg
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1147229

Right side up and assembled, the bare cabinet looks like this:

Name:	construction-pic26.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1147230

Next up is painting. If I'd know what an onerous task it would be I might have just stopped here.

Xander

Comment

Why not use 'hanger hooks' From Walmart meant for coats, hats, etc? 3 or 4 on the underside would keep it stable, and still allow for driver removal without removing the base.

Later,
                      Wolf
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Wow...great work. Amazing craftsmanship there!! I'd like to be able to do a nice 45-deg miter....is that asking too much?
                        Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attach | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | COGAR, COUGAR II and COGAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

What a lot of work! Well done!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                            Why not use 'hanger hooks' From Walmart meant for coats, hats, etc? 3 or 4 on the underside would keep it stable, and still allow for driver removal without removing the base.

Later,
                            Wolf
                            Just went and looked at them - that is a great idea. I may try building a second base and see if it will work. The purpose of the fastener is to maintain a connection, not for structural strength. The base has to be strong, but the connection between the two parts just has to be enough to keep them together.

Xander

Comment

Awesome project. I wish I had a shred of woodworking ability.

Comment

Working...
                              X