Active crossover advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active crossover advice

I'm going fully active with my car stereo, a feature of the Pioneer DEH-80PRS (a great SQ deck fyi). I'm planning on running a pair of the Aura NS6's in parallel in each door for a 4 ohm load and the Dayton ND20FB-4 in the factory tweeter location. I have the options to set crossover frequency, slope, and phase. I'm thinking about either a 3.15k or 4k crossover point (those are the two that make the most sense to me). The Aura's will be band-passed at 80 Hz to a sub, which, for me, is the easy part. I'm hoping someone can lend some advice on crossing these speakers. I've got a lot of flexibility with this deck and I imagine an amount of it will be experimentation until I get what sounds best to me, but a starting point would be nice at least.

Re: Active crossover advice

Diffraction, reflection, and comb filtering effects will make a solid answer impossible, but I can tell you what I do in that situation and maybe it will help you out. First, leave any low pass filter off of the mids. Just let them play from 80hz and up. Cross the tweeter starting high with a sharp slope, and start listening. Move the crossover point lower and/or adjust the slop to a more gradual roll off and listen again. At some point it will start to sound good. When you hit that point with the tweeter, move on and start with the low-pass on the mid, doing the same thing. Start off with a crossover point just above where the tweeter is high-passed and start moving it lower. This is where you can start playing with the phase as well (adjusting phase on the tweets generally doesn't result in much of an audible change, and reversing midrange phase can help make the transition form the sub to the midrange smoother if you have subs located in the back of the car).

Doing it this way lets you play your mids as high as possible before handing off to the tweet, which is better for dynamic range and general well-being of the tweets. Getting the transition out of the vocal range lends itself well to having a solid center image as well. Based on the equipment you have, the crossover point will probably be up around 5-6khz, with a small gap in between the tweet and mid. A dip around 5khz is considered enjoyable by a lot of people, and helps with stage depth. BUT....use your ears!

Comment

Working...
    X