CNC Mogul

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNC Mogul

Anyone know anything about, or have any experience with these CNC machines?

CNC Mogul
    http://cncmogul.com/

Price is attractive for a CNC, but is it a case of "you get what you pay for?"
    "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
    My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Re: CNC Mogul

Doesn't look very stiff. Doesn't mention the motors used for movement, or for the spindle. Looks good if you're cutting foam...

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
    return to the source
    leviathan system thread
    deadhorse thread
    shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
      Looks good if you're cutting foam...
      +1. Useful CNCs use at least 2HP 1/2" collet routers.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

A lack of any useful information on that site, much less a video or even a picture of an entire assembly at work - unless those are buried somewhere.

CNC in the garage is the future of woodworking, but not with this assembly.

I went to a trade show last fall, and there were several small CNC tables set up cutting metal, wood, plastic etc. All of them had more robust electronics than what is pictured or implied in this particular product. They also start at $4,000 and go up from there. Where the cost comes in is the quality and resolution of the motors and drives. In industry, a single drive will cost more than an entire turnkey hobbyist CNC table but they will also run 24/7/365 for ten years. That level of robustness is not really needed to build 1/2 dozen speaker cabinets every summer
        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Drives are also commonly called amps, before the correctional goon squad gets excited.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
            A lack of any useful information on that site, much less a video or even a picture of an entire assembly at work - unless those are buried somewhere.

CNC in the garage is the future of woodworking, but not with this assembly.

I went to a trade show last fall, and there were several small CNC tables set up cutting metal, wood, plastic etc. All of them had more robust electronics than what is pictured or implied in this particular product. They also start at $4,000 and go up from there. Where the cost comes in is the quality and resolution of the motors and drives. In industry, a single drive will cost more than an entire turnkey hobbyist CNC table but they will also run 24/7/365 for ten years. That level of robustness is not really needed to build 1/2 dozen speaker cabinets every summer
            So JR, is your opinion that this would be OK for the garage hobbyist?
            Bismarck, North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by mikejennens View Post
              So JR, is your opinion that this would be OK for the garage hobbyist?
              Without seeing it assembled, and knowing more about the steppers used I have to say no. I think if you are into engraving signs, it is probably more than adequate but if you are looking at cutting 3/4" MDF with it maybe not so much. From the limited pictures, it looks like the XY motors are pretty small.

Comment

Without seeing it assembled, and knowing more about the steppers used I have to say no. I think if you are into engraving signs, it is probably more than adequate but if you are looking at cutting 3/4" MDF with it maybe not so much. From the limited pictures, it looks like the XY motors are pretty small.
                Thanks Johnny.
                Bismarck, North Dakota

Comment

There's a youtube link at the upper right corner, but all the videos are of engraving or sharpie drawings, no cuts, which is telling.
                  Copy of Lou C's speaker pages: http://www.rob-elder.com/LouC/speakers.html

Comment

A friend pointed me to this really great article about CNC milling. It's mostly as a counterpoint to 3d printing but it covers a lot of useful info about CNC mills and then at the end suggests a list of hobby mills along with their prices. So if you're interested this might be a good article to check out...

http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/gcnc/

Comment

Working...
                    X