X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Dynamic Range Day 2013 is on March 22nd

Help STOP the LOUDNESS Wars

http://dynamicrangeday.co.uk/

You can also register to win some cool prizes if you so choose.

Full disclosure: I have no affiliation with the site. I just HATE compressed music (a lot)....no, really, I HATE IT.
    Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Re: OT: Dynamic Range Day 2013 is on March 22nd

Hey,,that sounds cool..will chk it

Comment

Happy dynamic range day!
      Don't turn down those crescendos!!!

Comment

Well... I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT'S WRONG WITH COMPRESSION? SHOULDN'T MUSIC SOUND LIKE IT'S IN ALL CAPS?

</sarcasm>

Thanks for the link. :-)

Comment

That vid really put it into perspective. Nevermind that new, "pop" music is all garbage anyway, regardless of its dynamic range.

Comment

I doubt the class of music I listen to is going to be mastered in this way.

Comment

I saw this one a couple years ago. I find it accurate, and a little more obvious than the posted demo video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v6ML2DsBfA

In case you've seen this, it's Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" as originally recorded, compared to how it would sound with modern mastering. IMO, they did not embellish the compression/limiting to make a point. It sounds entirely reasonable to me.

In comparison, the three Thriller releases don't sound too bad. Rock really receives the brunt of overdone limiting. I guess it's more "aggro". egch. Ruined the genre for me.

There's a related video on YouTube (at least when I watched it) where Deadmau5 talks about how he feels dance music has been wrecked by poor engineering. It's refreshing to see someone still cares, but I've always found his stuff as heavy on compression triggered by the kick. (The boom-wah-boom-wah-boom-wah sound.) That's just as bad, IMO. Sounds like someone is trying to turn their undersized club PA up to 11, which in all seriousness is probably the inspiration for the sound...

Comment

Working...
              X