X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SirNickity
    replied
    Re: Semi O.T. - "For the last time, it's not a b.o.m.b!"

Certainly not attractive to cats. But then, if 80s sitcoms are any indication, neither are aliens.

Leave a comment:

• GTPlus
    replied

Not explosive related but this reminds me of a similar situation that happened to me.

My neighbor once commented on the weird noises coming from my house and told me he thought I was trying to communicate with aliens. Seems the sound of a signal sweeps are possibly attractive to aliens?

Leave a comment:

• SirNickity
    replied

Click image for larger version

Name:	7928883010_585169e442_d.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1147540

Leave a comment:

• wg_ski
    replied

You just need a flashing red LED in there that does absoluetly nothing. And a wad of silly-putty.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Nuff posted here...
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

For sure....both colleagues and family have had the nerve to ask if I was designing/building a bomb. And if anyone is looking for dynamite-sized caps.....I've seen 'em first hand-

That's a U.S. quarter sitting on top of a 4uf cap (not a typo).

Leave a comment:

• wg_ski
    replied

Originally posted by SirNickity View Post
    A few years back when I got my first cell phone capable of email, I wrote a text file shopping list for stuff to do home-etched PCBs and emailed it to myself.....
    Did any of your PCBs have the word "b-o-m-b" etched into them? Some of mine did back in college. Even when it was quite obvoius that it was some little chip amplifier with bass and treble controls. One notable exception - the "device" with a mercury tilt switch, a latching relay and a couple of buzzers... all potted in epoxy so it wasn't so easy to silence when it went off. That one really was the b-o-m-b.

Leave a comment:

• bolland83
    replied

Before finishing my last build I setup a temporary spray booth in the garage, my girlfriend joked that it looked like a scene from the show "Dexter" with all the plastic and duct tape.

Leave a comment:

• Whitneyville1
    replied

Man, if I had some of the "top-of-the-line" Fish-Lo-Ka-Tors at an airport screening! Those puppies have enough wires, CPU's GPS chips, radio navigation gear and sonar components, miles of wire harnesses and huge caps to scare the snot outta a former minimum wage Wackenhut rent-a-cop. (I can say that because a kinda friend of mine, who was an Air Force "wash-out" for low IQ, used to watch the baggage carts for Wackenhut, and is now a TSA agent, doing the exact same thing for 6 times his former pay...) I'm glad Larry got the pay raise, but he'll NEVER finish his college credits "requirements" before he retires or dies, but few of the "agents" will.

Leave a comment:

• SirNickity
    replied

For extra mystery, keep it covered in burlap when you're not working on it. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

"Don't ask if you really don't want to know." lol

Leave a comment:

• killa
    replied

I've always had odd projects going on. I think people are just use to it. Either that or they are afraid to ask :D

Leave a comment:

• SirNickity
    replied

A few years back when I got my first cell phone capable of email, I wrote a text file shopping list for stuff to do home-etched PCBs and emailed it to myself. After getting the beep on my phone, I opened it to make sure it came through OK. After reading it, I mused that I probably just found myself on a dozen FBI watch lists:

SHOPPING LIST:
    Hydrochloric acid
    Hyrdogen peroxide
    Acetone
    Comet
    Steel wool
    Cotton swabs
    Shop rags
    Plastic containers

Leave a comment:

• DIYNut42
    replied

Wolf, I think I've seen pics of some of your bigger XOs, and IIRC one of them looked like it could take out a city block.

Ligs, those are some big caps. I've got some ClarityCap SA caps sitting around waiting to go in a fancy crossover some day. They are big and red, so I can imagine the looks I will get with those, lol.

These are good stories! Keep em coming.

Leave a comment:

• hipcheck
    replied

Shared this a few times before in regards to workbenches, etc:

I used to live in an apartment complex that had some huge inspections going on. They went into every buidling and fixed "ANYTHING" that needed fixing. I only knew they were in my apartment in two ways. First day a letter was hanging on the door and I noticed the missing Bake/Broil switch (which had been missing since move in) was replaced. Second a few days later noticed TWO fire extinguishers placed in my "CLOSET of DOOM" I guess my diy amps, speaker, parts, and scraps looked like bomb making stuff to the inspectors!! too funny to me!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X