X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ejh2854
    replied
    Re: Semi O.T. - "For the last time, it's not a b.o.m.b!"

Worked for a couple of robotics/automation companies in an earlier life, and had tossed some corded proximity sensors into my briefcase to take on a job as spares.

This was in the mid-1980s, and even then it pushed the airport X-ray tech into full freakout mode... having PROXIMITY SENSOR prominently stenciled on the parts made them appear even more like some form of detonator. It actually got pretty tense for a bit.

Nowadays I send stuff like that ahead via FedEx ;)

Leave a comment:

• Sidi
    replied

I made a pancake generator for an energy class once. I had it with me during a freshman lab I was temporary TA for.... dumbass freshman: "is that ... a bomb? "

Leave a comment:

• ligs
    replied

Originally posted by DIYNut42 View Post
    Sorry if this is a little off topic, or if some may view it as a waste of a thread, but I don't see a waste in sharing funny DIYer stories and maybe having a good laugh, soooo...

...how many others here have been arduously working on a crossover, making sure everything is straight and pretty, and then have a buddy or your GF show up... look freaked out... and say "Dude! Are you building a freakin b.o.m.b!?"

I've actually gotten this from family, friends, and co-workers who have been over and glanced a look at something I was working on. Some of them said it jokingly, but a few were honestly a little freaked out.

My general reaction is usually "Are you kidding me!?" Or if I'm feeling like messing with someone... "Yeah. Here's the wireless trigger coil!" *points at iron core coil and giggles like a mad man*
    Ryan,

Do these qualify? I used to collect bass fishing lures, however, these evidently caught me! I got them at a cut rate along with many ERSE laminated inductors (up to 20 mH).
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Adam_G
    replied

Originally posted by DIYNut42 View Post
    Sorry if this is a little off topic, or if some may view it as a waste of a thread, but I don't see a waste in sharing funny DIYer stories and maybe having a good laugh, soooo...

...how many others here have been arduously working on a crossover, making sure everything is straight and pretty, and then have a buddy or your GF show up... look freaked out... and say "Dude! Are you building a freakin b.o.m.b!?"

I've actually gotten this from family, friends, and co-workers who have been over and glanced a look at something I was working on. Some of them said it jokingly, but a few were honestly a little freaked out.

My general reaction is usually "Are you kidding me!?" Or if I'm feeling like messing with someone... "Yeah. Here's the wireless trigger coil!" *points at iron core coil and giggles like a mad man*
    HAHA! I call my workshop the b.o.m.b shack for this reason! There's always wires laying all about, testing equipment, etc. The first person I had come down there while building the Maurbacs said "What are you building down here, B.o.m.bs?" and there it is.

Leave a comment:

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
    replied

must have been useing huge caps. i put a AND cpu on one once and nobody noticed.

Leave a comment:

• donprice
    replied

My next XO project may include a large block of modelling clay....

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Yep- I'm also a speaker guy with the compelling urge to make passive 'explosive devices'.
    Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• DIYNut42
    started a topic Semi O.T. - "For the last time, it's not a b.o.m.b!"

Semi O.T. - "For the last time, it's not a b.o.m.b!"

Working...
X