No announcement yet.

Building an enclosure out of Acrylic?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That us an awesome idea! I have a pair of 3.5" drivers coming in next week.

They have acrylic tubes of all sizes too...

Comment

Re: Building an enclosure out of Acrylic?

I have built a very well braced laminated fiberglass box with a 2" plexy baffle for an SPL competition truck using an 18" sub and It was the most dense and dead box to date. So yes it can be very "well damped" if done right. I would not go with anything under 3/4" or you may run into problems in a typical box. 1" would be my choice for a smaller floor stander. But if your doing an open baffle you might get away with the 3/4"

Comment

if you're looking for the finish, I'd probably do traditional MDF, and then get some 1/8" acrylic and paint the backside black, then laminate it to the MDF....

Comment

Originally posted by ericanderson View Post
          Don't clean acrylic with Windex it will scratch it and turn it white. People make that mistake all the time it grinds the dirt-dust into the surface. You should use Pledge it suspends the dirt and lubricates the surface
          Non ammoniated glass cleaner and a soft cloth like cloth diapers. Paper towels will scratch Plexiglas.

Comment

I think these boxes were made from acrylic, but not absolutely certain:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_081410_002.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1148988

Comment

Originally posted by michiganpat View Post
              if you're looking for the finish, I'd probably do traditional MDF, and then get some 1/8" acrylic and paint the backside black, then laminate it to the MDF....
              IMO way too much trouble. Wilsonart laminate is available from Lowes. You can order free samples from Wilsonart
              I did black laminate on the Dinos and let my wife pick some tan laminate for the surrounds in the family room
              http://www.countertop.com/

The decorative metal laminates are cool

http://samples.wilsonart.com/c-8-decorative-metals.aspxhttp://www.lowes.com/pd_136252-466-4...ess&facetInfo=
              John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

That is a wonderful idea John! I had looked at laminate in the past, but not THAT laminate! I really like the Satin Brushed Copper. More importantly, so does the wife!

Have you used the metalized before? I am wondering if it trims/routes/cuts the same as the regular line. If it does, talk about easy. Glue it and flush-trim it and done.

Comment

Two things:
                  1. A plexiglass Sunflower... that'd be AWESOME!!!!
                  2. If anyone wants to make me a plexiglass speaker (of any shape or size), I'll give you my address, and pay for shipping... heck, I'll show up at your door and pick it up in person. (I want one!!!)
                  Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                  Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Paul, once I get this thing built, I will make you some enclosures (within reasonable size) and ship to you. The least I could do for stealing your design...and anticipating possibly pestering you a tad once I get started.

I am now committed to an acrylic front baffle for the mids and tweet, including side wings, that the front baffle will stop flush with the top of the woofer box. I am going to spray paint the back side of the acrylic black and then fire-polish the exposed edges. I am 99% committed to finishing the woofer box out of Brushed Copper laminate. I am getting pretty excited about this.

Comment

Originally posted by tc View Post
                      Have you used the metalized before? I am wondering if it trims/routes/cuts the same as the regular line. If it does, talk about easy. Glue it and flush-trim it and done.
                      Nope, you are on your own, it's suppose to ...

Here's some more confusion

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/she...sheetingfx.htm
                      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Mr. Hollander...

You are not being very kind to my budget...at all. Wow!

Comment

Bring back the oldies.

It's almost like some spambot.

Comment

The use of more compliant materials can be used to your advantage.
                            http://www.ls35a.com/
                            Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Refindex
                              No it's not... Sorry
                              Sort of looked like ad copy.

Comment

We had a pair of these demo versions of the HPM 100 in a stereo store I worked in during college. Side by side comparison with the wood enclosure version, these rung like a bell.

Comment

Working...
                                X