what's your "duct tape"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's your "duct tape"?

I think everyone's got their "go to" tool that they default to when trying to fix something. I'm curious what your guys' are.

For me, it's a chisel. I hadn't used one ever, and on a whim I bought a cheap set when I was remodeling my house. Now it's like I can't be too far away from one. It's my can opener, utility knife, baffle scraper, household scraper, and I even use it to chisel odd shapes into wood on occasion (door frames, trim, flooring...)

Oh, and I don't want to limit this to woodworking and DIY. For example, my wife's "Duct Tape" is Vinegar. She uses it to clean EVERYTHING in the house. Glass, carpet, countertops... uses it to kill bugs, kill weeds.

So what's your Duct Tape?
    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
    Twitter: @undefinition1

Re: what's your "duct tape"?

Two - my very old swiss army knife, my son and I will start working on the race car and he scans for appropriate tools, goes into the shop to get sockets, flatheads and returns ti find me putting away my knife and handing him the cold air intake - and around the house, a 5 way. Now THAT is a handy tool, and underdescribed by an order of magnitude.
    When you run make sure you run,
    to something not away from, cause lies don't need an aeroplane to chase you anywhere.

Comment

I don't have any one single tool in mind, but I will say most of my slot tip screwdrivers never loosen a slot head screw. They serve most prying, mixing, chiseling, stabbing, aligning, scraping, gouging, and scratching purposes that I come across - and I am an industrial maintenance tech.

The second go to is a pair of old fashioned vice grips. Clamping, loosening, tightening, squeezing, light hammering are all accomplished with this one.

The final go to is a 12" adjustable wrench. Tightening and loosening fasteners too big for the vice grips, hammering, prying, use the hole on the end for adding torque to Allen Wrenches...

I rarely need anything but the above three, a Philips and a set of Allen wrenches to do 90+% of my job. I leave the 40 pound tool bags to the other guys.
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Ok, not a tool but it's very handy - Cyanoacrylate adhesive with the aerosol activator (google it). I like the fact that it only takes around 10 seconds for it to work. I've fixed all sorts of things with it.

Comment

Coming from an industrial repair background like Johnny, I can't live without my channellocks. 6",10",18".
          When the Allen strips out, whenthe adjustable rounds the head, when the drill strips it out, or if it needs hammering- grab your channellocks.

Aside from that, I love a good 5 minute epoxy.

Comment

Channel locks are also good, and probably 4th on my list but there are rarely times I need them. Once in awhile on larger pipe fittings. That being said, maybe the coolest tool I have ever owned was a 4" Channel locks...
            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

The Interwebs. :D
              "We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true."
              –Robert Wilensky

Comment

Google

Comment

Cordless impact driver, seems to go every on repair and construction project
                  John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by duanebro View Post
                    Google
                    +1
                    DARPA Jr - 2015 InDIYana Winner - RS180-8 + RS100P-8 + ND25FA
                    The Aria's - RS150-4 (or RS150-8) + XT25SC90
                    The Mariposa's - TEBM65C20F-8 + ND16FA
                    The Canzonetta's - RS100P-8 and ND16FA
                    AudioSource AMP-100 Mods OR Pyle PAMP1000 Mods

Comment

Rigid oscillating multitool. I accidentally installed a portion of a TL line in the wrong position. It allowed me to cut it out cleanly and install a new one with the cabinet complete but with a removable back panel. :D

Rich

Comment

My most-used tool is my 1977 Snap-On plastic-tipped hammer. It drives dowel pins, closes cans of finish and paint, coaxes things into alignment, adjusts tooling and jigs, and aids glue-ups when the going gets stubborn. I use it more than duct tape, pliers, or about anything else. Being plastic-tipped, I can use it directly on soft materials like aluminum without damaging the work.

Bill Schneider
                        -+-+-+-+-
                        www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

For me, it's not a tool but a tool belt and pouch. It keeps the things I use most right at hand, like measuring tape, combination squares, pencil, pen, chisel, box knife, calipers, pliers,small crescent wrench, etc.
                          Tritrix HT:http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222519
                          Dayton 12" Subwoofer: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222930
                          Overnight Sensations: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=223751
                          Cerberus sub: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=cerebus
                          Duellatis: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224943
                          NTN's: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=227902

Comment

For speakerbuilding specifically, Bondo is my duct tape, usually to repair a router goof up. :rolleyes:

Comment

This reminds me of a funny quote... "A good mechanic only needs two things: A hammer, and a bigger hammer."
                              ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
                              Sapphos
                              Cables (Post #54)
                              Other speakers (Post #21)
                              Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
                              Boundary Augmentation
                              Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Working...
                              X