what's your "duct tape"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what's your "duct tape"?

Benchmade Mini-Stryker. Non-serrated. I find it useful for a wide variety of activities.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9500.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	1149010

Comment

I always keep a roll(s) of masking tape on hand, both at home and in the shop. Useful for holding many things, especially whenever I'm needing a third hand.

Comment

my channelocks and my 6-n-1 screwdriver- i could put a house together with this two!

Comment

The duct tape of glues. 3M weatherstriping adhesive. Strong, bonds well to many things , and is flexible.

Comment

My angle grinder. Something not right? Grind it. Second is a big set of coax crimpers. They're horrible for crimping coax but have a wide flat side for hitting big things and a small skinny side for hitting small things. I also use them to pry, scrape, pinch, pull and do anything that another set of pliers could probably do better. I can never find my pliers when I need them though, and this big hunk of steel is hard to loose.

Comment

The most basic Swiss Army knife; 2" blade, nail file, scissors, toothpick and tweezers. Unfortunately they have a habit of getting misplaced. I solved that problem by buying them used in lots on ePrey.
              If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
              ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Comment

Epoxy.
                Epoxy fixes almost anything.
                ~99%
                Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
                Make me a poster of an old rodeo
                Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
                To believe in this livin' is just a hard way to go

Comment

My iPhone :D

It can tell me how to fix anything

-Kerry
                  -Kerry

Comment

Toothpicks

For some reason I have found myself using a lot of toothpicks lately... Filling screw holes, miniature wedges for small joinery, stir sticks for epoxy, glue applicators, cleaning small parts like gears and things with knurles.

Good to keep handy in the shop, can always find a use for them!

OldHat

Comment

Everything.

Seriously. The right tool never seems to be in reach. Find a way to make something else work. :p
                      Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

The wife heates it when I do that. Work is here. Pliers are here. Need a hammer. The hammer is 200 feet away up a flight of stairs and through two doors. Beat on it with the pliers. The task is finished before she can even get to the hammer. But I'll hear about it for two days.

As for my duct tape - zip ties. The 75 pound UV-resistant ones.

Comment

Dremel. So many odd problems have been solved with that tool. Cutting apart PCBs, cutting shapes in (or out of) aluminum stock, fixing wood nubs left over after cutting circles with the Jasper jig, shortening screws, cutting conduit...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                            I think everyone's got their "go to" tool that they default to when trying to fix something. I'm curious what your guys' are.

For me, it's a chisel. I hadn't used one ever, and on a whim I bought a cheap set when I was remodeling my house. Now it's like I can't be too far away from one. It's my can opener, utility knife, baffle scraper, household scraper, and I even use it to chisel odd shapes into wood on occasion (door frames, trim, flooring...)

Oh, and I don't want to limit this to woodworking and DIY. For example, my wife's "Duct Tape" is Vinegar. She uses it to clean EVERYTHING in the house. Glass, carpet, countertops... uses it to kill bugs, kill weeds.

So what's your Duct Tape?
                            I would have to say, the multitool. I think the German
                            tool manuft. Fein brought the tool/concept to market over 20 yrs. ago but all the tool
                            companys have jumped on board and offer a clone. It fits all the needs of cabinetmaker,
                            finish trim, fabricator. How did I get along all these years with out one?

Comment

Originally posted by SirNickity View Post
                              Dremel. So many odd problems have been solved with that tool. Cutting apart PCBs, cutting shapes in (or out of) aluminum stock, fixing wood nubs left over after cutting circles with the Jasper jig, shortening screws, cutting conduit...
                              Yep, truly is a great tool.

Comment

For me, it's a toss up between an oscilloscope and my CRKT Ignitor.
                                "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Working...
                                X