Comments on InDIYana 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments on InDIYana 2013

First, am I the first one to start a thread on this? Maybe we're supposed to post in one of the existing threads? Anyway, I had a blast this year and thank Wolf BIG TIME for putting this together, and it was really nice to meet Wolf's wife and baby daughter. Also, thanks to Bryan Keane for his work to keep others who couldn't attend involved via his live-streaming. I don't see how Bryan could do that and still enjoy the event, but I have a strong suspicion he's inherently a workaholic. Lots of good-sounding and good-looking speakers, good conversations (not just about speakers) and good food/drink to share. Got to meet some new faces and listen to their speakers. Also, thanks to Bryan Keane and Mark (psychoacoustics) for treating me to dinner and lunch.
    Paul

Re: Comments on InDIYana 2013

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
    First, am I the first one to start a thread on this? Maybe we're supposed to post in one of the existing threads? Anyway, I had a blast this year and thank Wolf BIG TIME for putting this together, and it was really nice to meet Wolf's wife and baby daughter. Also, thanks to Bryan Keane for his work to keep others who couldn't attend involved via his live-streaming. I don't see how Bryan could do that and still enjoy the event, but I have a strong suspicion he's inherently a workaholic. Lots of good-sounding and good-looking speakers, good conversations (not just about speakers) and good food/drink to share. Got to meet some new faces and listen to their speakers. Also, thanks to Bryan Keane and Mark (psychoacoustics) for treating me to dinner and lunch.
    Paul
    Yep, Paul it was very enjoyable even on this end for those of us who could not attend. Bryan did a good job allowing us to be a small part on the live stream, even with the ability to communicate via texting. I had fun communicating and asking questions and interacting with the guys as we watched the action. Sounds like everyone had a great time. Many thanks to Ben as well.

Looking forward to comments and reviews!!
    -Robert

Comment

I had a riot and my son was in 7th heaven all the way home, going over in his mind how he was going to purpose his subs and the boxes that Meniscus Audio gave him.

Very good time all the way around. Was good to see you guys again and also meet some new faces. Thanks to Ben and also to everyone else for all your hard work on this!!

One question regarding the Omnimic, there's no software in the case and I think I need it to use the mic. Anyone know where I can find it??
      "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
      "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

I was only able to catch some of it via Bryan's stream, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've been to 4 of these get-togethers and really hated not being at this one. I would love to make it to InDIYana, IowaDIY, MWAF and all the others around the country each year, but...;) The people I've met and the relationships I've built have been great. There are only a few things I really look forward to each year. These audio gatherings are the majority of them. I know almost nothing about speaker design, but I never feel looked down upon at these gatherings. Most others like to share their knowledge, so even a guy like me feels welcomed.
        Thanks to Ben and Bryan. Also, thanks to all the others that shared and took part in this event. I'm looking forward to Iowa DIY!!!
        I would just like to add that anyone who is undecided about attending one of these events, JUST DO IT!!! I've traveled over 1000 miles to attend and it was well worth it. If finances are an issue, start a post to see if you can find someone to split the costs with, that might be in the same situation. If you enjoy speaker building, you really owe it to yourself to try to get to one or more of these events.
        Mike
        "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
        Bismarck, North Dakota
        My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
        My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Comment

A big "thumbs up" from me, too! It was my first InDIYana and I would rate it right up there with the best of them. The black box challenge was an interesting exercise and added interest to the mix.

Thanks again to Wolf and all sponsors/underwriters.

I also appreciate the advice freely given from the more experienced designers. I found several comments very helpful in selecting my next build.

Wolf, very sorry if I woke you up last PM, it wasn't real late, but I know you had a very busy week and I forgot that you are an hour later than us :o

Marv

Comment

thought i would add my 2 cents to the thread. this event was better than good, it was great. really enjoyed the atmosphere, other events should take a good look and think about what they are doing. that is not a put down in any way, to anyone. this event was just that good. the first person to get some thanks is Wolf, absolutely a great job, thank you. p.s. the money is on the way for drawing my name for the door prize when you did, thanks. i would like to thank bryan, johnny, scott, rory, mark and the FNG nate. nate is new to diy and knows way more than he should, he is a welcomed addition to diy. just a note to the above mentioned, next year it would be nice to sleep, i just can not due 48 hours with no sleep like i use to. i would like to thank all the people that attended for the great conversations, ideas and the good times that we enjoyed together. thanks to everyone that took the time to bring speakers and participate in this event. the last thank you is to the sponsers who donated the door door prizes. i was very lucky and ended up with a pair of transducer labs tweeters. now on to the show. there were numerous good speakers at the show, very impressive. a few standouts that i think need to be mentioned. first scott and his very small 2 ways. this was one of those speakers that make you say " o.k. where is the sub." ben (not wolf) needs to be mentioned for some of the best looking home made curved cabs i have ever looked at, great job. also will stick mark k in here for the black box speaker he brought, great finish. duane, i still liked your #10 speaker, even though it needs a little work, it is always good to talk to you. to many speakers to mention, some one else can pick up from here and write about the other great speakers. thanks to all. hope every one made it home safe and sound.

craig
            craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

I certainly must agree! A good time was had by all. Thank you Wolf for putting this together!

As one of the "New Guys" I really appreciated how welcome everyone made me feel!

Bryan was certainly a blur of activity!

Paul,,,, for all you've done for me and everyone else here, one dinner isn't enough! As I've told you before,,,, your a Class Act my friend! I'm lucky to benefit from your expertise!

Thank You Everyone! Mark

Comment

Re: Awards and Impressions

We'll I made it there. Had to drive a few miles out of the way to work my way around the flooding, but I actually made good time. When I arrived it was just Wolf and I, so I got in a full day on Saturday.

So, after everything, I have a few awards I would like to hand out -

The award of .....

Master of Multimedia goes to Bryan Keane who apparently was supplied with some form of infinite energy because he never stops moving and doing something..... never.... I'm serious. Awesome Bryan, thank you for everything you did.

Master of Conquering Mountains goes to Dave Pellegrene, who has climbed the mountain of this art very quickly. Dave's designs are becoming so good that I am about ready to have him do all of my design work and I will just sit around eating bon-bons. By the way, Dave won the Black Box contest and had one of the best and most unique speakers I heard all day with his three-piece all open-baffle system.

The Michelangelo Master of Sculpture Award goes to Dan Neubecker for consistent works of art that could move directly from the speaker gathering to an art gallery or museum somewhere. Of course, I don't need to explain this to anyone who has seen Dan's speakers over the years.

Master of Tiny Speakers goes to Paul Carmody, who does more with tiny drivers than most of us can do with the bigger ones. I'm not sure why Paul's fixated on the little drivers but he sure is making it work for him. At one point, at the end of the day, I said to Paul, "Dude, you're crazy!" with the biggest grin I had all day. He was playing a "subwoofer" the size of shoebox that was pumping out real bass to 35Hz. I was impressed.

Master of Adversity goes to Johnny Richards who battled two feet of snow in South Dakota and torrential rains in Chicago to make it to this thing, giving me the opportunity to finally meet him. A great guy, with a good grasp of the art. We talked quite a bit. But, he didn't like my speakers and told me. I loved that. He gets extra points for that.;) (Actually, to be fair he loved the Kairos, but the Sopranos were pretty tiny for the big room and had some trouble with a couple of tracks. I didn't really like some of this myself, but this really wasn't there intended environment either. )

Master of the Minivan goes to the Meniscus guys. It has become a tradition that at the end of the day we walk out to the parking lot and Mark throws open the minivan doors and it's filled with unfinished cabinets. You should see the scavengers diving for the boxes. It looks like Walmart on Black Friday. :D

Finally, the Grand Prize of Master of Ceremonies goes to Wolf who did an incredibly awesome job in organizing and planning everything. Ben always had a plan and a time-table and kept everything flowing in the right direction and it all worked out too. Ben deserves major Kudos for all of his work because this gathering just keeps getting bigger and bigger. I think the total number of speakers was probably greater than the MWAF had two years ago, and Ben kept it altogether on his own.
                :applause:

A little side story on Ben - his wonderful wife dropped by with the little one. It was interesting to see a room full of speaker-geeks stop everything to gather around a baby. I was proud, I didn't think we had it in us. The little darling was nonplussed by all of the attention. At one point I thought she said something, but Ben said she's a little young to be talking, but she is making some vocalizations. So, I bent down close and I could have sworn I heard her say, "Oil caps sound better, they give highs a liquidy sound". I said, "Pppffbbbbtttt!!!!, What do babies know!", and walked away. Where do kids come up with this stuff?

A few more quick awards in closing -

Best bass of the day - goes to Chuck Morris and his Intrepids. The bass from these babies was subwoofer deep and absolutely controlled at the same time. The Intrepids were a excellent sounding speaker all around, one of the best I heard all day.

Most Avante Garde Speaker - Dave Pellegrene's open baffle system was certainly unique and produced some of the best sound I heard all day. The tweeters were dipolar ribbon air motion transformer in front and back waveguides! And the H-Frame woofers tamed the room very nicely. Dave is doing some exceptional work.

White Speaker Award goes to Paul Kittinger, not "white van speakers" but white speakers! Paul's speakers are always white.... However they are also always excellent, and these were no different. Another pick for some of the best I heard. If Paul take these to MWAF this July it will be interesting.

Finally, my picks for the best looking speakers of the day were -

Floorstanding - the big Statements with the hickory and copper plate. Just stunning looking.

Stand mounted - a pair I didn't get to hear and I don't know who brought them but they were a two-way with Revelator midbasses and Rosewood veneer. I loved these! I kept thinking that if I created a distraction I might be able to sneak these out to my Jeep when no one was looking...... Just kidding. ;)

Oh, and a special award goes to the Agave Mexican Resturant who somehow manages to handle thirty people like it was nothing and still get us in and out in excellent time with great food too.

Well, there you go, that's the Bagby Round-up. The part of it all was simply spending a day with old friends, meeting new friends, and having some great fellowship.

Jeff B.
                Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Bryan was a machine. He didn't 't sit still very much and his efforts are greatly appreciated. They kid Paul K. But he brought some great music and his enthusiasm and generosity were overwhelming. He can even make sleepy babies smile, ask Wolf. Thanks again to Wolf and everyone who made this such a fun weekend. Where else can you meet people for the first time and have them show up at your hotel at 5:30 in the morning to take you to the airport to save you spending a fortune on a cab.

P.S A shout out for Jeff Bagby who battled flood waters to come. We were
                  afraid we were going to send a coast guard helicopter to get him. He is a modest man but is still the Alpha Nerd of the DIY speaker clan.

Comment

Hey, Jeff, thanks for the compliments on the RS duets. They aren't actually white, though, more like a light beige, and I guess you didn't remember that they won the Dayton Driver category at the 2012 MWAF. So, I can't enter them again!
                    Paul

Comment

thats cute, Alfa Nerd.
                      well said Jeff.
                      i watched on the streaming vidio. thanks to Bryan for letting me be there.
                      your right about Paul K, a very generous gentleman indeed.
                      yes the Statements are eceptional.

Dave P's speakers are the first time i've seen Jeff's intrest really peaked. he looked and looked and looked some more.

next year, i would like to see Bryan take advantage of the monitors at each end of the room so the guests can see when they are on the air.

concerning the blackbox competition, i thought #1 and #12 sounded the best. but i was listening on ear buds.

it was obvious to me the dans floorstanders were best in show. no surprise here.
                      " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                      Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                      http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                        Hey, Jeff, thanks for the compliments on the RS duets. They aren't actually white, though, more like a light beige, and I guess you didn't remember that they won the Dayton Driver category at the 2012 MWAF. So, I can't enter them again!
                        Paul
                        Sorry Paul, I get all of your speakers mixed-up. However, I guess I was right about them being good enough to win something

Comment

Originally posted by fdieck View Post
                          Bryan was a machine. He didn't 't sit still very much and his efforts are greatly appreciated. They kid Paul K. But he brought some great music and his enthusiasm and generosity were overwhelming. He can even make sleepy babies smile, ask Wolf. Thanks again to Wolf and everyone who made this such a fun weekend. Where else can you meet people for the first time and have them show up at your hotel at 5:30 in the morning to take you to the airport to save you spending a fortune on a cab.

P.S A shout out for Jeff Bagby who battled flood waters to come. We were
                          afraid we were going to send a coast guard helicopter to get him. He is a modest man but is still the Alpha Nerd of the DIY speaker clan.
                          Alpha Nerd? That cracked me up when I read it.

Did we talked sometime during the day? If not, you should have introduced yourself.

Comment

Alpha Nerd. That's awesome.
                            But.... in Marty H's words (paraphrased) We're not nerds. Nerds make money at what they do. We're geeks. Speaker geeks.
                            Yeah, that's right. I'm a speaker geek. And proud of it.
                            So maybe it should be Alpha Geek.
                            Just my two cents!
                            Mike
                            "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
                            Bismarck, North Dakota
                            My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
                            My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Comment

Originally posted by mikejennens View Post
                              Alpha Nerd. That's awesome.
                              But.... in Marty H's words (paraphrased) We're not nerds. Nerds make money at what they do. We're geeks. Speaker geeks.
                              Yeah, that's right. I'm a speaker geek. And proud of it.
                              So maybe it should be Alpha Geek.
                              Just my two cents!
                              Mike
                              FWIW I do perceive myself as more of a geek than a nerd. I am sure my wife would allow me to accept either title.

Comment

Working...
                              X