X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greywarden
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Sep 2010

All The Little Things...

So what are some of the "Little Things" you never think of when you're ordering drivers that you're inevitably going to have to run to the hardware store and hope to find?

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
    return to the source
    leviathan system thread
    deadhorse thread
    shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.
  • 50 watt head
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Jun 2008

Re: All The Little Things...

Oh, gosh ... how come I never have enough (or exactly the right size/type) crimp connectors?

Comment

• donradick
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Jun 2006

Radio Shack emergency runs:

Gold plated banana connector terminal cups
      Euro-style terminal strips
      Internal 16 or 18 gauge wiring

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

• bkeane1259
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Mar 2011

Fastons (Like 50 said, good luck getting the perfect sizes too).
        Gasket tape. I use the stuff Meniscus sells because it's only 1/16" thick and it compresses enough so that you don't have to factor it into your driver recess measurements.
        The correct mounting bolts. You kinda have to plan this in advance. Are you using wood screws or machine bolts?? Again I think MENISCUS has a nice selection of these.

Usually when I order drivers it means that I have a build in mind, so I also might buy Terminal Cups or Binding Posts. I'll look at the port tubes just in case there's the perfect one for my build. That never happens though and I usually end up using Schedule-40 PVC. I like Dayton Sonic Barrier and I never seem to have enough of it laying around, so that might be another cart entry when I'm purchasing drivers. Before you know it, you're easily spending enough $$$ to get free shipping from PE....YAY!! :applause:
        Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club
        [SIZE="1"]
        Speedster | [URL="http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?t=229236"]Sub Attach

Comment

• bkeane1259
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Mar 2011

Don,

That reminds me - Steve @ Apex has 4 Section Euro terminals (large ones) - 3 for a buck. These have no trouble at all with 16AWG wire and can do larger wire as well. I find these easier to work with than the small ones from the shack.

You have to scroll pretty far down the page: http://apexjr.com/new.htm
          Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club
          [SIZE="1"]
          Speedster | [URL="http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?t=229236"]Sub Attach

Comment

• Paul K.
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Sep 2005

Ditto for me for items 2 and 3. In fact I just stopped at Radio Shack yesterday to pick up a couple of the Euro-style terminal strips while making a run to Home Depot.

Paul

Originally posted by donradick
            Radio Shack emergency runs:

Gold plated banana connector terminal cups
            Euro-style terminal strips
            Internal 16 or 18 gauge wiring

Comment

• DIYNut42
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Jul 2010

Don't forget a pair of these bad boys: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J36XR2/

Only between $13K and $14K on amazon!

Nah but seriously, the propper fastener hardware, solder, hook up wire, etc...
              RYAN N.

"Why do you have the stereo on while you're watching TV?" - "....Cause I like to party."

RSS390HF Build - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224998
              AviaTrix Build - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=230372
              Wolf's PC Speakers Build - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...84#post1838384
              Overnight Sensations MT Build - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ation-MT-build

Comment

• scardeal
                Been Around Awhile
                • Jan 2013

Crimp on spade connectors for internal wiring
                fasteners/bolts/tee nuts
                terminals
                solder
                lunch

Comment

• Pallas
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by scardeal
                  Crimp on spade connectors for internal wiring
                  FYI, JL Audio sells boxes of quick-disconnect terminals for 16AWG, 12AWG, and 8AWG wire. They're not insulated, but they're nice because they have three sizes of female for each.

IIRC they were clearing out packs with 30 or so of each size (190 total) for around $10 a box. Perhaps they still are.

They're nicely-built terminals. Thin enough to be easy to crimp with a hand-crimper, thick enough to hold on once crimped. Only real complaint is that the plastic blister is secured with metal inserts, so you need a screwdriver to open it.
                  --
                  "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

• johnastockman
                    Seasoned Veteran
                    • Oct 2005

Make sure I have enough solder. Sandpaper in the various grits, and more hot glue sticks! Before I start cutting, I get some replacement cartridges for my particulate respirator. Cheap and easy to replace; simple thing for protecting your lungs, especially cutting/routing MDF. Keeping the correct lube for my router bits that have bearings. Enough of that cleaning sauce for the bits and saw blades. I've amassed a large selection of different screws, both machine thread and coarse thread. I replenish my stock of crimp-terminals and make sure I have enough shrink-tubing in the appropriate sizes. I use the shrink-tube over the crimp connectors and any directly-soldered joints...I also use it for polarity ID or color-coding so I know which wires go to which driver(s). Do I have enough wood glue and epoxy? Are my tools in good working order? Anything questionable or broken? Recheck my order, are there any items that I could stock up on? Caps, coils, resistors, terminal cups/binding posts? How about stuffing or egg-crate foam, maybe some grill cloth or those liitle magnets you can attach a grill with. Finishing supplies such as tung oil, clean wiping cloths, gel stain and gel poly top-coats. Oh, a good supply of utility knife/razor blades and/or Xacto knife blades. Nothing can ruin a veneer trim faster than a dull razor-knife blade.

John A.
                    "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                    Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                    Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                    Pioneer TX-9500 II
                    Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                    Statement Monitors
                    Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                    Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                    Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

• jhollander
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by johnastockman
                      .... Keeping the correct lube for my router bits that have bearings. Enough of that cleaning sauce for the bits and saw blades.

I have enough shrink-tubing in the appropriate sizes. I use the shrink-tube over the crimp connectors and any directly-soldered joints...I also use it for polarity ID or color-coding so I know which wires go to which driver(s).

Caps, coils, resistors, terminal cups/binding posts?
                      I've been doing more plastic laminate work and using Crisco shortening for router trim bit lube. It works great on plastic (not wood). WD-40 is my bit cleaner.

+1 on the heat shrink tubing

+1 on the caps I’m always looking if there are any cap specials
                      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

• r-carpenter
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Aug 2008

these

Click image for larger version

Name:	413xdZdfwlL._SL500_AA300_PIcountsize-10,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	1149508
                        http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

• greywarden
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by r-carpenter
                          Damn, they're all out >_>

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                          return to the source
                          leviathan system thread
                          deadhorse thread
                          shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

• OlderMongrel
                            • Feb 2010

A new dishwasher. This is a lot quicker than trying again to fix the old junk heap. That way I actually have time to do some DIY.

John

Comment

• Thumper Tom
                              • Nov 2012

"All The Little Things..." is something my wife tells me when I start to open my mouth about anything speaker related.

But, for some reason a project is not complete unless it involves a few unplanned trips to Lowe's.
                              If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation.
                              What's true for the group is also true for the individual. It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness.
                              It's slow death.

//Burn n' Die//Dream Weaver//Maximus//ABC Bookshelf Speakers//Dayton Twin Towers

Comment

Working...