Any crossover posted for Vifa 3 1/2" TC9FD-18-08 and Dayton 5/8" ND16FA-6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any crossover posted for Vifa 3 1/2" TC9FD-18-08 and Dayton 5/8" ND16FA-6

Have a pair of these that did not work out for my original project....
    Click image for larger version

Name:	TC9FD18.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1185010
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1062
    To my ear, they are lacking a bit of "effortless" high end. Sorry for the subjective description.
    Has anyone paired them in a miniature two way with these, for instance...

Name:	Art538643_Dayton_ND_16_FA-6_Hochton_Lautsprecher_6_Ohm.jpg
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	1185009
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=275-025

Still have not learned crossover software. Just checking to see if anyone else has info on a two way with the 3 1/2 Viva or could suggest a quick and easy crossover for the Dayton 5/8 or other in a sealed box.

Thanks

Re: Any crossover posted for Vifa 3 1/2" TC9FD-18-08 and Dayton 5/8" ND16FA-6

That would make for a very nice micro-monitor. Do not take the following as gospel, but rather as a starting point for experimenting. I would really go with a single, small coil on the woofer and a single, small cap and resistor on the tweeter. Let's just say 0.5mH, 3uF and 4ohm to start. Good time to learn how to tweak by ear.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Looks like it could be a cool combo. Or even the ND20FB in an MTM!

Comment

Here you go

Name:	tc9 nd16 res.jpg
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	1149684

(1/2" material)

Name:	tc9 nd16 cab.png
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1149682

Name:	tc9 nd16 xover.png
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	1149683

The xover still works pretty good with +/- .010 change on the Z axis, so I would say this is pretty safe. Deeper bass can be had with a deeper ported cab.
        http://jaysspeakerpage.weebly.com/

Comment

Very timely post. I just ordered 4 of the Vifas and a pair of the ND-20s. I was wondering how an MTM with this combo would work.
          Mike
          "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
          Bismarck, North Dakota
          My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
          My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Comment

I've been working on a design using that Vifa as the mids in a WWMTM tower.
            Craig

Comment

Cool thread. I also have a stash of these Vifa's, as I'm sure many PETT members do. And some spare ND20FB's. Following with interest.

Comment

KINDA like mine.

LP: I went with a 1.2mH series coil, and a 6uF shunt cap.

HP: I went 3rd order w/an L-pad: 4uF series, 0.20mH shunt coil, 12uF cap, and "L": SR = 4 ohm, PR also 4 ohm.

My vented box IS a bit larger, 0.34cf. A 1.5"d x 2" long vent will run fairly flat down to 60Hz, but with a 2w limit. The closed box can take about 6w, and (/but) therefore +4dB @ 200Hz, -2 @ 100, -6 @ 80, and -10dB down at 60 (compared to the vented box).

Comment

Thank you Jay for that excellent starting point, and everyone's encouragement here.

Mike, this may finally be a good time for me to try an mtm. With any more expensive drivers i'm generally too cheap to want to experiment much. But with the low cost value of these little drivers it's definitely an attractive idea. A press fit 5/8 tweeter between two 3 1/2 drivers seems about as close to coaxial as an mtm could get. Easy small cabinetry and good fit for my small home office room.

Chris,
                  "KINDA like mine."
                  Do you merely kinda like these? Or is your design 'kinda' like a version of the Vifa and Dayton with an implied smiley and question mark at the end?
                  Or is it the latter and i'm just a bit of an idiot?

Are they built and auditioned? Was it worth the effort?

Comment

Oh no. Never built 'em. My ratio of sims to builds is in the 10:1 to 100:1 range most likely.

"KINDA like mine." (mine sim)

Comment

So Cchris,
                      Is this for a TM or an MTM? And which of the tweeters did you sim this for? Thanks for adding your expertise. The sim you did for me for the TB W4-1720 ans RS28A works great.
                      Thanks again,
                      Mike

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                      KINDA like mine.

LP: I went with a 1.2mH series coil, and a 6uF shunt cap.

HP: I went 3rd order w/an L-pad: 4uF series, 0.20mH shunt coil, 12uF cap, and "L": SR = 4 ohm, PR also 4 ohm.

My vented box IS a bit larger, 0.34cf. A 1.5"d x 2" long vent will run fairly flat down to 60Hz, but with a 2w limit. The closed box can take about 6w, and (/but) therefore +4dB @ 200Hz, -2 @ 100, -6 @ 80, and -10dB down at 60 (compared to the vented box).
                      "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
                      Bismarck, North Dakota
                      My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
                      My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Comment

Now fantasizing about TMWW, small footprint floorstander. Maybe ND-105-4's (series) for the bottom, kinda like N-t-N, but with a mid.

W = 40=400, M = 400-4K, T = 4k +

Comment

A TM w/ND16.

Comment

Originally posted by frascati View Post
                            Thank you Jay for that excellent starting point, and everyone's encouragement here.

Mike, this may finally be a good time for me to try an mtm. With any more expensive drivers i'm generally too cheap to want to experiment much. But with the low cost value of these little drivers it's definitely an attractive idea. A press fit 5/8 tweeter between two 3 1/2 drivers seems about as close to coaxial as an mtm could get. Easy small cabinetry and good fit for my small home office room.

Chris,
                            "KINDA like mine."
                            Do you merely kinda like these? Or is your design 'kinda' like a version of the Vifa and Dayton with an implied smiley and question mark at the end?
                            Or is it the latter and i'm just a bit of an idiot?

Are they built and auditioned? Was it worth the effort?
                            Here's another starting point for you

Name:	tc9 nd16 MTM box.png
Views:	2
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1149700Click image for larger version

Name:	tc9 nd16 MTM res.png
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1149701Click image for larger version

Name:	tc9 nd16 MTM xover.png
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	1149702

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                              Oh no. Never built 'em. My ratio of sims to builds is in the 10:1 to 100:1 range most likely.

"KINDA like mine." (mine sim)
                              Me too :D

Comment

Working...
                              X