Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I replace an air inductor with .1 difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I replace an air inductor with .1 difference?

With the help of peepaj, this user suggested some components for a crossover. However one of the parts is back ordered until late next month. Peepaj suggests Jantzen 1.4mh 18awg. This has .65 ohms of resistance. The 1.3mh version of this is .61 and the 1.5mh is .67 Would any of this cause problems?

Also he suggests 0.05 air inductor of 18 awg. Jantzen and PE are out of stock on these as well. ERSE has two in stock but would mix matching different brands like that cause any concern?

Re: Can I replace an air inductor with .1 difference?

Originally posted by xsundown View Post
    With the help of peepaj, this user suggested some components for a crossover. However one of the parts is back ordered until late next month. Peepaj suggests Jantzen 1.4mh 18awg. This has .65 ohms of resistance. The 1.3mh version of this is .61 and the 1.5mh is .67 Would any of this cause problems?

Also he suggests 0.05 air inductor of 18 awg. Jantzen and PE are out of stock on these as well. ERSE has two in stock but would mix matching different brands like that cause any concern?
    Shouldn't be an issue in either case.

Comment

The difference is shall enough not to matter. I would go with the smaller value due to the lower dcr. mixing different vendors does not matter either. glad you found a design to build!
      https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by Taran View Post
        Shouldn't be an issue in either case.
        Thank you. Does this look good enough? Here's his xover layout.

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
          The difference is shall enough not to matter. I would go with the smaller value due to the lower dcr. mixing different vendors does not matter either. glad you found a design to build!
          Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help. Peepaj, You have no idea how bad I've been stressing out over this lol.

Comment

IMO it would be difficult to hear any difference between 1.4 and 1.3 mH. Seriously, how far you place the speakers from the back wall or if your room has carpet or hardwood floors will make a much bigger difference than 0.1 mH.
            Craig

The lowest possible F3 box alignment is not always the best alignment.

Designing and building speaker projects are like playing with adult Lego Blocks for me.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
              IMO it would be difficult to hear any difference between 1.4 and 1.3 mH. Seriously, how far you place the speakers from the back wall or if your room has carpet or hardwood floors will make a much bigger difference than 0.1 mH.
              Alright, I wasn't too sure as I'm a complete noob to xover components. Just had to ask to be sure.

Comment

Alright, I wasn't too sure as I'm a complete noob to xover components. Just had to ask to be sure.
                I LOVE questions like this. Thanks for asking.

Comment

Also, those are +/-3% tolerance and the difference between 1.3 and 1.4mH is 1.07%

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                  return to the source
                  leviathan system thread
                  deadhorse thread
                  shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
                    Also, those are +/-3% tolerance and the difference between 1.3 and 1.4mH is 1.07%
                    +1

You're using PCD, right? Enter the different values into your sim and see what changes (hint: it won't be much;)).

Then, go up to the top, and change the listening axis (green box above the offsets), and see how much difference that makes. It'll be night and day, compared to the difference of .1 mH on a woofer circuit, trust me.

You're good to go with what you've got.

Mark
                    You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

^^ There it is. Keeping in mind tolerances will go a long way toward answering your own substitution questions down the road. (Not that it's a problem for anyone to help you out, but I'm sure you would rather know than have to wait for a reply.) The next step is modeling it and seeing what difference it does make, and then deciding what tolerances you'll accept based on their effect on the end result.

Comment

Thanks again. Ordered the Silver Flutes and adding part numbers into PE to check out.

I'll need help with soldering the xover soon but I'll ask about that when the parts are here. I think I need some wire too. But all I have is Tinned speaker wire lol. No solid hookup wire. I went to a local shop today and they seemed to have it. It's 14 awg, solid and stiff as hell like wired a curtain hanger lol.

Comment

You don't have to solder the crossover you can use terminal blocks. They're relatively cheap, too.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                          return to the source
                          leviathan system thread
                          deadhorse thread
                          shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Thanks again. Ordered the Silver Flutes and adding part numbers into PE to check out.

I'll need help with soldering the xover soon but I'll ask about that when the parts are here. I think I need some wire too. But all I have is Tinned speaker wire lol. No solid hookup wire. I went to a local shop today and they seemed to have it. It's 14 awg, solid and stiff as hell like wired a curtain hanger lol.
                            Don't use that. Just use speaker wire (or even lamp cord) for the internal stuff. For the distances involved (inches) there is no reason whatsoever to struggle with heavy solid wire like that. Don't get me wrong, that wire will certainly do the job, but it will make your life miserable, for no good reason. If nothing else, use stranded wire of the same gauge. Better performance, and easier to manipulate. Speaker wire of the same gauge is better still, for the same reasons.

Mark
                            You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by Mark65 View Post
                              Don't use that. Just use speaker wire (or even lamp cord) for the internal stuff. For the distances involved (inches) there is no reason whatsoever to struggle with heavy solid wire like that. Don't get me wrong, that wire will certainly do the job, but it will make your life miserable, for no good reason. If nothing else, use stranded wire of the same gauge. Better performance, and easier to manipulate. Speaker wire of the same gauge is better still, for the same reasons.

Mark
                              Oh for sure. I was regarding the internals. I have very great speaker wire for the AVR to the speakers to run through the room. Okay, will just use what I already have then for the internals, saves me a few dollars for dinner lol.

Here it is guys. I forgot the .22uf and 40 OHM resistor in the last screen shot. This looks good right?

Comment

Working...
                              X