Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8" woofer suggestion for an excellent british style classic 2-way speaker

Hello,

I am looking for woofer for a classic vented 8"+1" speaker.

I am considering to try something out along the lines of the following speakers:

1) Harbeth 7es, M30.1 (i.e. Rogers LS 5/9)
    2) Audio Note/Snell Types E, J, K

I have found some info on classic 8 inches, including this:

"The bass unit needs a rising midrange response, and its inductor
    value is misaligned to effect baffle step compensation, it then
    compensates for the rising mid response, and the actual c/o
    frequency is determined by the bass/ mid units roll-off."

I also found preferable, if possible and if really advantageous to use woofers with lightweight paper cones and high Qms values, like the classic Vifa/Seas.

Thnaks,
    S/

Re: 8" woofer suggestion for an excellent british style classic 2-way speaker

Why not this Seas.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...r-cone-woofer/

Or this ScanSpeak that is a Vifa replacement if you wanted to go poly cone.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...r-cone-woofer/

Or this Dayton

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-430

What tweeter?

I had a pair of 2way 8" towers with a seas poly woofer in an ebs ported cabinet and a seas aluminum dome tweeter. I always liked them well. Very relaxed and listenable with nice deep bass. I can't remember the manufacturer. They were made in the early '90's by a Canadian company but I can't place the name. Ok quick google search; they were Signet SL280EXB.

Sounds like a fun project.
    Loren Jones

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-sound-drivers

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...for-live-sound

Comment

Ixnay on the DS for a 2-way.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to find 8" for 2-way use...
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

What is your budget? I spent way too much time trying to research a affordable two way eight inch project and pretty much came up empty handed. Seems about every affordable 8" just can't reach high enough without distorting too bad or having a ugly rise to deal with or both.

I might take a second look at the DA215-8 some day. The FR looks usable, but I'm not sure on rising distortion around the 1800hz point. I know you were looking for a paper driver, but you will have to pay for a Seas or ScanSpeak.

Comment

The Silver Flute 8" is a decent candidate for a two way but it may not be the "sound" you want. In some ways with tweeters that can crossover lower than 1,500 Hz (RS tweet, SS HDS) and some planars (CSS) it seems easier to build 8" two ways. How about the Peerless Nomex HDS series?

Comment

As Johnny alluded to, the Dayton would be IMO, a no go. As the bottom of a 3 way, maybe, but not a 2way. the hd on it also causes some issues as well. I have a couple of old school paper cone drivers that I want to try, but they are upper end limited as well.
            https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

This could be another possibility. http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-3550-/55-3550

I'm sure the fist complaint will be the lack of Xmas, but if it's a realistic usable Xmas and not a maximum unusable rating, then it could still work. I haven't been able to find any independent testing on it yet.

Comment

generic, I used that in a 3-way. Very nice sounding in that respect, but I am thinking not likely for a 2-way either. Maybe, with a robust tweeter.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                  generic, I used that in a 3-way. Very nice sounding in that respect, but I am thinking not likely for a 2-way either. Maybe, with a robust tweeter.
                  Foiled again. Bummer. Would you happen to have any distortion graphs you would be willing to share? What happens around 1500-1800hz to disqualify it from a two way?

Comment

Originally posted by generic View Post
                    Foiled again. Bummer. Would you happen to have any distortion graphs you would be willing to share? What happens around 1500-1800hz to disqualify it from a two way?
                    I'll have to dig through some files, but it was taken in-box.

Comment

Taking another look at it, it probably would work well for a 2-way... If you tank it, and use a robust tweeter to get to 1700 or maybe a little lower.

Taken on a 10-5/8" wide by 16" high baffle. Very close to SPL accurate. My Ts measurements were within 5% of advertised. Very sensitive driver, but the Xmax is real. Very nice bass until it poops out. Would be swell sitting on top of a 15" pro woofer

Comment

It's not an eight inch, but Seas makes a 10 inch in the Prestige line that is old school and will work in a 2 way with the Seas TDFC tweeter in a reasonable sized enclosure. It's kind of pricey at around $140 per woofer but the crossover is low count and simple . It's worth reading up on at Seas anyway . The Madisound speaker folks carry it .
                        Not a classic British design that was originally asked about, but worth running up the flagpole

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info. Hard to tell by a graph what that 3rd order distortion rise would sound like after 1Khz. Sadly the tweeter would have to be a Dayton DC28F-8. The desired project was for my brother and currently put on hold due to auto/house repairs and what not. To him, overall not crazy important. To me, kinda crazy cause they watch movies every Friday night only using TV speakers. I hate watching movies with them. :( Anyway, I gave him a older Onkyo stereo amp hoping he'd one day get some speakers for it. The desired 8" two way is to get the most bass possible because he will NEVER have surround or a sub-woofer. A lower crossover point on the tweeter could be traded for lower listening levels too, because they will never jam or listen very loud.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinr View Post
                            It's not an eight inch, but Seas makes a 10 inch in the Prestige line that is old school and will work in a 2 way with the Seas TDFC tweeter in a reasonable sized enclosure. It's kind of pricey at around $140 per woofer but the crossover is low count and simple . It's worth reading up on at Seas anyway . The Madisound speaker folks carry it .
                            Not a classic British design that was originally asked about, but worth running up the flagpole
                            I was eye humping that kit when it first showed up. Before the price was listed. That's a lot of clams for a "classic" sound.

While not a 8", something with the ScanSpeak 7" puts out more bass then many 8" drivers. http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...aker-kit-pair/

This is not the only kit available with that woofer, but I think it might be the cheapest. I have absolutely no ideal how it sounds, but between Madisound and ScanSpeak, it should be good.

Comment

This 10"?

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...e-classic-a25/

Comment

Working...
                              X