Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dayton Audio DC28F-8 cutout diameter wrong on PE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayton Audio DC28F-8 cutout diameter wrong on PE?

There is no way in hell I can cut it out to 2.73 (3/4). There are speaker terminals that they must not be accounting for. I just did it with 3 9/16 and the terminals fit through fine. I'm going to go 1/16th of an inch smaller to 3 1/2 just so the screw holes will have a bit more latch on. At 3 1/2 I may have my speaker terminals sit on the back edge of the MDF cut hole. Am I doing something wrong?

Re: Dayton Audio DC28F-8 cutout diameter wrong on PE?

I just end up cutting a notch out for the terminals.
    HAGD,
    Marc

Even though I try to tell everyone upfront, understand that I am still a Newb. I wish the status of Seasoned Veteran/Senior Member, etc. was earned with time not posts...

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

Comment

Yup - you have to notch that out. There's several ways to go about it. I wouldn't advise to make the entire hole larger because you won't have enough material left for your screw holes. Like Marc said - cut a notch....sort of like this, but only one in your case.

Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

I'm sure all of us who use this marvelous little tweeter are running into the same problem. The magnet actually measures 2.75", but there is a larger ring next to the faceplate -- it actually is part of the faceplate. That ring requires that the mounting cutout (we used to call it a "hole";) be cut to 2.9." Following that, simply cut out a notch to accomodate the terminals, approximately 1/2" deep and 1.25" wide. You will need to bend the terminals in a little toward the magnet. This done, they fit like a glove.

GeeDeeEmm

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I have nothing to notch it out with. I'm thinking about using a drill and drill bit to notch it out a little.

Comment

Originally posted by xsundown View Post
            Thanks for the replies. I have nothing to notch it out with. I'm thinking about using a drill and drill bit to notch it out a little.
            Sure...that's one method that many people have used. Personally, I just measure and mark the notch cutout with a sharpie and use a jig saw to make the easy notch cuts. Then I use a chisel to chop the notch out. With good chisels, you could do the entire notch without use of a jig saw. You'll run into many more drivers like this -- not just tweeters. If you plan to build several systems, it wouldn't hurt to buy a jig saw.

For a one time notch, a drill and a small drill bit will do the trick for sure. Good luck.
            Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

I've used a mini hack saw in the past for notch work. It's flimsy but it will work. I had problems with bending the blades so you have to have a light touch. Just a cheap idea.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-1...-809/100026795
              Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

+1
                HAGD,
                Marc

Even though I try to tell everyone upfront, understand that I am still a Newb. I wish the status of Seasoned Veteran/Senior Member, etc. was earned with time not posts...

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

Comment

I have a router so I think I'm just going to notch that area out once I figure out the measurement and placement. I been up all day and I'm burnt out. See you all tomorrow.

Comment

I use this.
                    http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...der-92158.html
                    Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

Maybe this will help.
                      Attached Files
                      Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by peepaj View Post
                        Maybe this will help.
                        Haha hey peepaj. Thanks for this. I myself went with 4 13/16 on the woofer cutout and didn't seem to have a problem. I'll test cut these sizes later today. Madisound suggests 122mm for cutout diameter. Which then converts to 4 13/16. http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/docume...tofraction.pdf I went with 1/16th too much on the overall diameter and corrected it on the measurements I wrote yesterday to correct it. This is too fun. I can cut all day. :D

Comment

Working...
                        X