No announcement yet.

How am I supposed to lay all this out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How am I supposed to lay all this out?

Just read this thread. Amazing amount of support from the members. OP, don't give up yet!

Now, when I get to building the Meniscus XOs for the speedsters, I'll have few probs as they provided a board and a layout sticker to put on the board!

Comment

Originally posted by radhaz View Post
      Just read this thread. Amazing amount of support from the members. OP, don't give up yet!

Now, when I get to building the Meniscus XOs for the speedsters, I'll have few probs as they provided a board and a layout sticker to put on the board!
      Easy stuff. Just start a thread or you can PM me for Speedster help.
      Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

• Re: Please STOP. Asking for help (esp. peepaj) ? ? ? ? ? ?

YAY another one just broke off just simply just lifting the xover.

Comment

Wow.

I want to help you so bad but Ming Ya. What are you doing? I'm 6'3" bout 300lbs and I have 2 drawers of my toolbox full of hammers, yet I have never once broke a single lead on any Dayton resistor, or cap. What's goin on there bro?

I responded to your PM but never got so much as a response to if you were going to accept my offer. Guess that means you gonna keep going like this.
          Very supportive bunch here, but some just can't be helped.

Comment

This thread is slowly turning into one of those classic "one star bandit" and "tag fairy" threads....I can sense their presence. It's too bad, because the designer of the build in question did a lot of work to hammer out the final product, but the guy who's trying to replicate it just won't listen to reason and likely will never get a chance to hear the final product. That's a damned shame because there's nothing better than having a new DIY guy complete a build and then marvel at how friggen great it sounds compared to commercial crap.
            Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Originally posted by ROTECH View Post
              Wow.

I want to help you so bad but Ming Ya. What are you doing? I'm 6'3" bout 300lbs and I have 2 drawers of my toolbox full of hammers, yet I have never once broke a single lead on any Dayton resistor, or cap. What's goin on there bro?

I responded to your PM but never got so much as a response to if you were going to accept my offer. Guess that means you gonna keep going like this.
              Very supportive bunch here, but some just can't be helped.
              Sorry, I was tired last night and crashed. I'm desoldering some stuff here and I'll send it off to you. If anything I can paypal you for parts that may break.

Comment

Looks like the last two pic's of your X-overs are correct they could have been laid out better but that's ok.If the leads are not long enough solder jumper wire's,maybe that's why your breaking leads?

Comment

Just a quick observation for the OP.

Since you created this thread exactly three days ago, there have been 2346 views. IMO, that speaks volumes.

It speaks volumes about the interest that the forum has in seeing something like this through to fruition.
                  It speaks volumes about the interest in how to layout and solder a friggen crossover....because it's not always so easy.
                  It shows that there are very likely a lot of new DIY guys out there trying to learn something from your experience.

I think you owe it to yourself to take a chill pill and follow this thing thru to the end. You won't be disappointed and nobody here is going to give up and throw this thread into the garbage.

Have a good weekend.
                  Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

I hope Rotech has 2 4 ohm resistors. I can't do this. It's too damn difficult. So I'll just ship it to Rotech. Thanks Rotech.

Comment

In the hope of being able to help in some small way, I'm attaching a photo that shows the two crossover assemblies I built for my Cavatinas a couple of years ago. The assembly on the right is for the woofer. I used a 4-place terminal strip for both inputs and outputs, with the inputs on the two left locations and outputs on the two right locations. The left assembly is for the midrange and tweeter with 4-place terminal strips used for both the inputs (I always double-up the inputs) and outputs. I cut off the strips as needed with a utility knife and attach them to the base with epoxy. I attach the components with silicon sealant, making as many of the connections as possible using just the component leads, but using solid, 18g wire where necessary.
                      Paul
                      Attached Files

Comment

FWIW, I always leave the component leads bent upward and just concentrate on getting all the parts laid out correctly. You need to think in 3 dimensions if you really want to conserve space. Once I am satisfied with my layout, I attach (or glue) the components to the board, still keeping all leads pointed skyward. It is only after everything is fastened down securely that I ever attempt to twist any leads together, unless the parts are super small or I'm paralleling caps. The only time I have ever broken a lead is when I was DIS-assembling a xo.
                        Last edited by turn2; 06-07-2013, 03:56 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

Unless you're pumping hundreds of watts through it, no worries about things getting too hot. I was completely intimidated by XO diagrams when I first started...might as well be in Greek or Chinese. I layed them out just like the diagram...cap horizontal, coil vertical, etc. They ended up looking like little "ladders" of components, but they worked. I have soldered up XO's for various forum members before, even some guys on the east coast. I'm in Washington state, but there are folks closer to you. I've received a lot of generosity from the guys here and haven't been "screwed over" by anyone...I've been here for over 13 years. I understand your reluctance to ship some parts you just invested in, to someone you don't even know. We're like a family here, a respectable, respectful family. Those that share similar passions, especially speaker designing/building, are good people. I have always sent back soldered up and working XO's to those that wanted some help, and did not ask for any compensation. To alleviate your trepidations, meeting up with someone, and walking through the process would probably be better. That way you can see how it's not as daunting as it seems at first. You can get there, don't give up yet. I've made many solid friendships through my experiences with the forum members. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask ?'s if you're not sure of something.

John A.
                          "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                          Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                          Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                          Pioneer TX-9500 II
                          Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                          Statement Monitors
                          Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                          Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                          Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Package dropped off at USPS. Expected Delivery date is this Monday. :D There was just no way in hell I'm able to do it. No patience, have no idea where to bridge to have everything right and just connect at the posts to get them to work. Next time I buy speakers, it will be a kit with a assembled crossover lol. Man. I been at this for 2 or 3 days and I give up. Hopefully I'll be able to look at the finished xover from Rotech and kick my self in the **** because it was so easy.

Comment

Originally posted by xsundown View Post
                              I hope Rotech has 2 4 ohm resistors. I can't do this. It's too damn difficult. So I'll just ship it to Rotech. Thanks Rotech.
                              Got em covered. Just don't break anything else, I only have 2!!

Comment

Originally posted by ROTECH View Post
                                Got em covered. Just don't break anything else, I only have 2!!
                                PM sent, I'll send you $20 through paypal to cover parts and shipping once I get them back.

Comment

Working...
                                X