Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soundslike
    replied
    Re: How am I supposed to lay all this out?

For an understanding how this build got to where it is now, one must read at least five other strings pertaining to this same project. Here are a few I've come up with, not in any particular order:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...peaker-project

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...45#post1915945

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...h-1-difference

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...the-AC25SG05-4

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-to-parts-list

I'll wait to see what you decide to do -- you've been offered a couple of different solutions. I'd take advantage of them first, because even if you manage to get your crossover assembled, you may very well be disappointed with the result.

Leave a comment:

• xsundown
    replied

Originally posted by Mark65 View Post
    Do you(or does anyone) have the files for the SF woofer being used? I have no doubt that peepaj has designed an excellent xo, but maybe the circuit could be simplified a bit...and I'd be willing to take a crack at it, if you'd like.
    http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...1/2-wool-cone/ This?

Leave a comment:

• thekorvers
    replied

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
    Unless I screwed up my math, that is an 86.5Hz tune. Why so high? 6.5 sq in of port is more greater than a pair of 2" ports. Personally, I would use a port of .5in h x 9.5 (panel would be 8.75") for a tune of 47.7 and .35 net cubes if staying with a slot port and those box dimensions. For a lower tune, a 2"id port, 9" long will get you 44Hz.
    When using a slot port, it is better not to exceed a height to width ratio of 1:8. You may deviate from this a little bit, but the proposed ratio of 1:19 is too high.

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied

Unless I screwed up my math, that is an 86.5Hz tune. Why so high? 6.5 sq in of port is more greater than a pair of 2" ports. Personally, I would use a port of .5in h x 9.5 (panel would be 8.75") for a tune of 47.7 and .35 net cubes if staying with a slot port and those box dimensions. For a lower tune, a 2"id port, 9" long will get you 44Hz.

Leave a comment:

• Mark65
    replied

Do you(or does anyone) have the files for the SF woofer being used? I have no doubt that peepaj has designed an excellent xo, but maybe the circuit could be simplified a bit...and I'd be willing to take a crack at it, if you'd like.

Leave a comment:

• xsundown
    replied

This will be the cabinet I'll be making.

Leave a comment:

• joeybutts
    replied

Here. I will send you the money to cover the parts cost, then pick any one on this forum....ANYONE. send them your parts. If you don't get completed crossovers back keep my money.

That's how much trust and faith I have in this community. It's probably the ONLY forum I feel that way about.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by thekorvers View Post
    From what build / forum thread is this?
    Peepaj did the design, and he is a member on this forum.

xsundown- I told you I would do a layout for you, and I never got a response. Heck- I'll even lay it out on pegboard graphic for you.
    I just need to know which parts exactly that you purchased. Just post the hyphenated part numbers from the order, and I can go from there.

I also think Ryan would do a fantastic job, and you have nothing to worry about.
    Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Whitneyville1
    replied

You'd be surprised how many of us will help. If I'm going to fiddle with parts on a cross-over board, I like to use Euro-terminal strips to tie the leads together. I get the longest length ones from www.Allelectronic.com I can and cut them up with a hacksaw. Save money... I use low melt hot glue to hold parts down in case I want to change things. The good foam double-stick tape works too. You can do zip-ties like Wolf.

Leave a comment:

• cradeldorf
    replied

Just follow the diagram and do each piece one at a time all the way down the line. Baby steps. Before you know it, you'll be kicking yourself for not realizing how easy it is to do.

Leave a comment:

• thekorvers
    replied

Originally posted by xsundown View Post

From what build / forum thread is this?

Leave a comment:

• Soundslike
    replied

If you don't want to take advantage of ROTECH's generous offer of help, I guess that's up to you. I too can understand your reaction, since you're new to the board. But someone with an established reputation on this board, is someone you can trust. If you want to know more about who he is, all you need to do is look up his profile by clicking on his name in the message he sent you. There you will see that he has posted here many times and has been a member for some time.

If you're still nervous about sending your parts to him, here's the process you'll be involved in:

It appears to me that you're probably having trouble identifying the parts you have received. I'm guessing that you're having difficulty discerning which parts correlate to the individual parts pictured in the crossover diagram. What I'm talking about is figuring out which part corresponds to R-1, which part corresponds to C-1, C-2, or C-3, etc., etc., in the diagram. If that's a big part of the difficulty you're experiencing, that's the first thing that needs to be clarified.

That can be done a couple of different ways. I tend to get drawn in to strings like this one because they're rather like working through a puzzle. So, I copied your crossover diagram, and your photo of the parts you have, pasted them in a drawing program I use, and set about labeling them R-1, R-2, etc., etc. I was able to identify many of them, but several do not show the label. Several capacitors are shown label side down; too many to identify by process of elimination.

I also noticed in your crossover diagram that two different inductors are labeled L-2. I also noticed that the value of several components don't match exactly the values shown in the diagram, but I assume that's because you had to settle for something close.

Soooo, if you want to go this route, I need to know more about your situation. First, is the problem I described above (identifying the components and labeling them R-1, R-2, etc.) a barrier for you, or do you have that all figured out? Secondly, do you have the means to solder the connections? And third, do you want to proceed?

Leave a comment:

• cliffburge
    replied

Here is a tidbit- I do not know if it is helpful, but it is to me.... I tend to start with putting the negative or ground in the middle of the board and separating the high pass and low pass by that ground.

Start out with a rectangular crossover long end sideways and draw a line through the middle, that will be your ground or negative path then build the high pass above that line and the low pass below the line.

once you get the hang of playing with parts and how they relate to a schematic you will be doing well in no time.

Cliff

Leave a comment:

• SPLEclipse
    replied

I know it might seem dumb, but here's the image with the grounds removed. For me it helps to lay everything out like this, then everything that "hangs off" of the signal chain goes to ground. looks a little less cluttered.

Click image for larger version

Name:	G-Kids XO_new.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	1149855

Leave a comment:

• fixthedoor
    replied

+ whatever number we're on

I'm brand new to this and laying out the pieces per the schematic has been a huge help. It took a little time to get comfortable but once I become familiar with the pieces it was all down hill. I spent a fair amount of time studying others' crossovers which helped me a ton.

Keep at it! It will be worth it when hear them the first time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X