No announcement yet.

How am I supposed to lay all this out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Please STOP. Asking for help (esp. peepaj) ? ? ? ? ? ?

No worries bout the $20, I offered to pay return shipping and I can cover the $1.97 in resistors . Besides, I don't use paypal. I'm old school by choice.

Please though, pull it together and do that cabinets in the meantime as to avoid wasted effort on all parts.

Comment

Originally posted by ROTECH View Post
      No worries bout the $20, I offered to pay return shipping and I can cover the $1.97 in resistors . Besides, I don't use paypal. I'm old school by choice.

Please though, pull it together and do that cabinets in the meantime as to avoid wasted effort on all parts.
      I'm waiting on someone to bring the table saw lol. I'm going to have to buy one I suppose. Will be great for the car since I need a box back there to for the sundown subwoofer too. This summer will be fun.

Comment

I figured you had a sundown sub by your name. Just curious what you have and what you are planning for it?
        https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
          I figured you had a sundown sub by your name. Just curious what you have and what you are planning for it?
          Just a new box for a car. Recommend specs of 1.75 cubes at 30hz, but may bump it to 35hz. Or just buy a bash 500 for it in my room as it sits now running off a dayton powered amp 100w. Then buy a 6.5 sundown sub for the car and build a box for it to fit in the cargo area under the floor.
          Last edited by xsundown; 06-07-2013, 10:34 PM.

Comment

X:

I hear your frustration, and I think I understand it. I think you're a Tactile Learner.

Let me qualify. I'm an instructor at an Aviation Maintenance school, which means I teach aircraft mechanics. We have a higher-than-average percentage of tactile learners, and I've gotten pretty good at recognizing them. They want to build stuff, they enjoy the work, but they get frustrated very quickly if you hand them a book and ask them to follow it with no other explanation. It doesn't mean they're not intelligent, on the contrary some of my best students are hands-on learners. What it means is they learn more effectively if I'm standing next to them, up to the elbows in nuts bolts and grease, showing them how something works.

I'd bet good money that's you, too. So. If or When you decide that this hobby is something you really want to learn about, I strongly recommend that you ask around on the boards here, and find one or three guys who are willing to show you the ropes in person. I think you'll find that the techniques are well within your capabilities, and hey, you might just make a friend or two. And who couldn't use more of those?

That's my .02.
            Nonsense. You're only saying that because no one ever has.
            Tarkus of Egypt

Comment

If I had the spare resistors I would have built them for you, I'm in the west Phoenix area, so it's a hop skip and a jump from you. If you ever want help with cabinets just let me know.
              My modest builds:
              Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
              Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
              Armadillo Center Channel
              Au-Rock-O Sub
              Tarkus
              Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Originally posted by bolland83 View Post
                If I had the spare resistors I would have built them for you, I'm in the west Phoenix area, so it's a hop skip and a jump from you. If you ever want help with cabinets just let me know.
                Thanks, anything I should know about before I tackle the cabinet? I'm just going to cut the sizes I need, gorilla glue and nail it, might caulk the corners inside, put some foam in there from left overs from a dayton audio powered subwoofer, insert my binding posts, roundover the front edges and call it done. I think the cabinets would be the easiest thing. I have a router that I was practicing with the other day so cutting the circles shouldn't be much of a problem. Oh and I have some sealer/primer, and some paint.

Comment

Sounds like you've got a handle on it, basic cabs are pretty straightforward.
                  My modest builds:
                  Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
                  Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
                  Armadillo Center Channel
                  Au-Rock-O Sub
                  Tarkus
                  Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

I think you can get the store to cut your panels if you're buying the sheet from them.

Originally posted by xsundown View Post
                    Thanks, anything I should know about before I tackle the cabinet? I'm just going to cut the sizes I need, gorilla glue and nail it, might caulk the corners inside, put some foam in there from left overs from a dayton audio powered subwoofer, insert my binding posts, roundover the front edges and call it done. I think the cabinets would be the easiest thing. I have a router that I was practicing with the other day so cutting the circles shouldn't be much of a problem. Oh and I have some sealer/primer, and some paint.

Comment

Originally posted by radhaz View Post
                      I think you can get the store to cut your panels if you're buying the sheet from them.
                      I heard their cuts are terrible so I didn't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by xsundown View Post
                        I don't know what your experience level is with MDF - before my first speaker build I hadn't worked with it. I found this guide incredibly usefull:

http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/FAQ/MDF/

Oh, and I've heard a few people say they prefer titebond and the like over gorilla glue for speaker cabs, though the reasons why escape me... probably just a personal preference thing.

Good luck!
                        Nonsense. You're only saying that because no one ever has.
                        Tarkus of Egypt

Comment

Thanks to Peepaj for the xover design, and Rotech for building them for me. Words can not simply describe the joy I'm getting out of these speakers. The Sound is very excellent even with not the greatest built cabinets I made lol.

I'm excited to say that now voices have bass in the videos I watch. Before, with the Dayton satellites, or Logitech Z5500 satellites, the only bass would come from the subwoofer. Now that I have a proper set of speakers in my room for the first time, It's a new adventure going back and listening to the songs I have heard before, even new ones. I'm not one to say I hear new sounds or sounds I've never heard before just by getting new speakers. With these though, the clarity of every note, either it be vocals, guitar, or wind. It's sounds so lifelike.

I was expecting to just have a set of bookshelves, with cheap speakers I bought and would sound hollow, but better then those little Dayton's. NOPE! No hollowness what so ever. The tweeter and midrange blend in very well together with these speakers. They even produce just about the same, if not, more bass then my subwoofer on a Dayton 120w amp with the gain at 2 o clock. Now I have to get a new sub amp because these bookshelves are making my Sundown sub look like a child. I'm listening to them right as I speak and honestly. The best speakers I've ever heard compared to $200 car audio speakers that I've had in my car installs.

The silver flute is excellent to me, the tweeter as well. I can't stop listening to them. I still don't know if the bass is coming from my sub or bookshelves now. LOL They all blend in very well with each other. Everything about these bookshelves is amazing. I've never heard higher end speakers before as I always tried to stay in a budget of $200-300 when doing audio stuff. So for me, in this price range, it's the best sound I have ever heard.

Peepaj, you have a very nice xover there. I hope some others can follow it and try this out if they're looking to do their first speaker design on a budget. I think they would be very happy with the final product.
                          Rotech, thank you for your help and building the xover. I would have never had this finished if it wasn't for people like yourself and others here. Extremely helpful community here by everyone. Thank you all for the help and suggestions.

Simply put, best money I've spent on anything audio related.
                          PS, I put on some rain/thunderstorm audio off youtube last night as I went to bed. LOL sounds so real and relaxing.

Comment

• Re: How am I supposed to lay all this out?

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Did you get a pic of the xo before you put the speakers together? Or if not, did you, Ryan?

I'm very interested to see how the xo that caused all this fuss turned out in the end...:D

And those boxes look fine, no worries there. Really glad to hear that they do for you all that we said they would.

Mark
                              You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

I'm up in the mountains, thus on my phone. I had texted him a pic of one xo as I was building, let's see if he can post it. Otherwise I can on Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                                X