Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark65
    replied
    Re: How am I supposed to lay all this out?

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
    Don't be a doofus. Everyone around here knows Ryan - ROTECH. His word is good as gold. He and I have traded stuff in the past that's worth more than a few dinky XO parts. I've done the same for forum members in the past too....so have many others. It's not uncommon to run into a dude like ROTECH. If you don't take up his offer it's YOUR loss.
    I agree with the sentiment, but that was maybe a little harshly said, Bryan. xsundown, I fourth (fifth?:D) the recommendation to send Ryan the parts, and let him build one (or both) for you. We're a helluva good crew around here, no one's here to rip you off.

If you DO insist on building them yourself (and there's nothing AT ALL wrong with that), do as has been pointed out and lay them out exactly as in the schematic. The end result will be large, but it'll work. And THAT, my friend, is the key.

Good luck, and have fun!

Mark

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Originally posted by xsundown View Post
    Sure, I'd like that drawing. I'm not sending my parts out. I don't know anyone here.
    Don't be a doofus. Everyone around here knows Ryan - ROTECH. His word is good as gold. He and I have traded stuff in the past that's worth more than a few dinky XO parts. I've done the same for forum members in the past too....so have many others. It's not uncommon to run into a dude like ROTECH. If you don't take up his offer it's YOUR loss.

Leave a comment:

• xsundown
    replied

Originally posted by djg View Post
    That is a fairly complicated crossover.
    :eek:

Leave a comment:

• WernerM
    replied

I third that ROTECH is a stand up guy, but I do understand the fear as well. That is why I asked where you are located. If there is someone nearby you, I am sure they would be willing to meet with you in person, and walk you through it.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied

Rotech is not going to abandon this forum over a few dollars worth of crossover parts, that's just silly. That is a fairly complicated crossover. Send him the parts. Make sure he knows how big the speaker cab is so he sizes the assembly appropriately. You have nothing to lose except the learning experience of doing it yourself. People do nice things for each other on this forum all the time.

Leave a comment:

• 50 watt head
    replied

Originally posted by xsundown View Post
    I'm not sending my parts out. I don't know anyone here.
    Rotech is not going to scam you. It's a great offer.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied

Xsundown,

Once you finally do one, you'll wonder understand how not-that-hard it is. I struggle with laying these things out as well, but once you get the hang of it, it makes sense.

I second the suggestion to take Rotech up on his offer, he's offering to not only catch you a fish, but to also teach you how to fish as well. These are a super great bunch of guys on this board who go out of their way to help someone, especially someone like yourself who's wondering if they should DIY or throw in the towel.

Have a little faith brother, you'll be glad you did.
    Also, you never mentioned where you live, it is possible that someone living close by would be willing to meet with you and help you out.

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• Psycoacoustics
    replied

Originally posted by ROTECH View Post
    I already mentioned that you can send it to me and I will assemble/return ship for no cost. Better yet, send me the parts for one XO then when I ship back you can match/assemble the second.
    Xsundown,,,,, take him up on it! But definitely only send him the parts for one. Build the other one yourself,,,,, you'll have a ball!

As everyone else has said, "Don't give up" if I can do this,,,,, YOU can do this!

Leave a comment:

• xsundown
    replied

Originally posted by Soundslike View Post
    Now there's a deal. I'd go with that.

I was in the process of trying to correlate the components in your photo (first post) with the component numbers in the diagram. Some of them are upside down (label down) so I'm using a process of elimination. I was going to post a drawing showing the components connected together. Don't think I'll work anymore on it til you advise what you want to do. Rotech's offer of help is the surest and easiest path...
    Sure, I'd like that drawing. I'm not sending my parts out. I don't know anyone here. User Peepaj http://techtalk.parts-express.com/me...p?11224-peepaj came up with the crossover. Maybe he knows what's what.

Leave a comment:

• Soundslike
    replied

I already mentioned that you can send it to me and I will assemble/return ship for no cost. Better yet, send me the parts for one XO then when I ship back you can match/assemble the second.
    Now there's a deal. I'd go with that.

I was in the process of trying to correlate the components in your photo (first post) with the component numbers in the diagram. Some of them are upside down (label down) so I'm using a process of elimination. I was going to post a drawing showing the components connected together. Don't think I'll work anymore on it til you advise what you want to do. Rotech's offer of help is the surest and easiest path...

Leave a comment:

• ROTECH
    replied

Leave a comment:

• woodsart
    replied

Mr. Xsun!!! I completely understand how you feel, my first crossover was last year and I felt lost, it was embarrassing to say the least, but Marc at Meniscusaudio.com who I bought the Triton kit from was very helpful, so will the guys here.

I just assembled the Kairos crossover just my second one and it was a breeze, so don't be too discourage, the rewards will be great.

Robert

Leave a comment:

• andykriech
    replied

I always found this write-up by Darren Kuzma to be very helpful in setting the XO up:

http://www.parts-express.com/techHelp.cfm#showAnswer

HTHs, Andy.

Leave a comment:

• jclin4
    replied

I agree, hang in there and give it a try. Note that aside from the connections from the amplifier and the drivers, the individual parts in the crossover have no positive or negative ends; just wire them together as you see in the diagram.

Others have posted great examples of crossovers, neatly arranged and tied down. I would suggest wiring your parts together following the diagram and don't worry for now about arranging the parts in nice, neat parallel rows. Go ahead and hook up speaker wires from your amplifier and hookup wire to the drivers, and see how it sounds.

If you are sure it is hooked up correctly and it sounds right to you, then you can go back and place the components on a board, re-arranging the component parts in a more orderly manner. You would of course make sure that the parts are all wired together as before, and may need some hookup wire in some places to connect components that are now physically now farther apart.

You are free to play with the physical arrangements of the parts*, but electrically, they have to be connected according the diagram.

Good luck!

* the exception are the inductor coils which should be a far apart from each other as allowed and at right angles with their closest neighbors.

Leave a comment:

• WernerM
    replied

Don't give up that easy, it really isn't that difficult. We can help you lay it all out. Where are you located? Maybe someone is near you and can assist in person.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X