Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xsundown
    replied
    Re: Please STOP. Asking for help (esp. peepaj) ? ? ? ? ? ?

Originally posted by radhaz View Post
    I think you can get the store to cut your panels if you're buying the sheet from them.
    I heard their cuts are terrible so I didn't bother.

Leave a comment:

• radhaz
    replied

I think you can get the store to cut your panels if you're buying the sheet from them.

Originally posted by xsundown View Post
    Thanks, anything I should know about before I tackle the cabinet? I'm just going to cut the sizes I need, gorilla glue and nail it, might caulk the corners inside, put some foam in there from left overs from a dayton audio powered subwoofer, insert my binding posts, roundover the front edges and call it done. I think the cabinets would be the easiest thing. I have a router that I was practicing with the other day so cutting the circles shouldn't be much of a problem. Oh and I have some sealer/primer, and some paint.

Leave a comment:

• bolland83
    replied

Sounds like you've got a handle on it, basic cabs are pretty straightforward.

Leave a comment:

• xsundown
    replied

Originally posted by bolland83 View Post
    If I had the spare resistors I would have built them for you, I'm in the west Phoenix area, so it's a hop skip and a jump from you. If you ever want help with cabinets just let me know.
    Thanks, anything I should know about before I tackle the cabinet? I'm just going to cut the sizes I need, gorilla glue and nail it, might caulk the corners inside, put some foam in there from left overs from a dayton audio powered subwoofer, insert my binding posts, roundover the front edges and call it done. I think the cabinets would be the easiest thing. I have a router that I was practicing with the other day so cutting the circles shouldn't be much of a problem. Oh and I have some sealer/primer, and some paint.

Leave a comment:

• bolland83
    replied

If I had the spare resistors I would have built them for you, I'm in the west Phoenix area, so it's a hop skip and a jump from you. If you ever want help with cabinets just let me know.

Leave a comment:

• hoosiercheetah
    replied

X:

I hear your frustration, and I think I understand it. I think you're a Tactile Learner.

Let me qualify. I'm an instructor at an Aviation Maintenance school, which means I teach aircraft mechanics. We have a higher-than-average percentage of tactile learners, and I've gotten pretty good at recognizing them. They want to build stuff, they enjoy the work, but they get frustrated very quickly if you hand them a book and ask them to follow it with no other explanation. It doesn't mean they're not intelligent, on the contrary some of my best students are hands-on learners. What it means is they learn more effectively if I'm standing next to them, up to the elbows in nuts bolts and grease, showing them how something works.

I'd bet good money that's you, too. So. If or When you decide that this hobby is something you really want to learn about, I strongly recommend that you ask around on the boards here, and find one or three guys who are willing to show you the ropes in person. I think you'll find that the techniques are well within your capabilities, and hey, you might just make a friend or two. And who couldn't use more of those?

That's my .02.

Leave a comment:

• xsundown
    replied

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
    I figured you had a sundown sub by your name. Just curious what you have and what you are planning for it?
    Just a new box for a car. Recommend specs of 1.75 cubes at 30hz, but may bump it to 35hz. Or just buy a bash 500 for it in my room as it sits now running off a dayton powered amp 100w. Then buy a 6.5 sundown sub for the car and build a box for it to fit in the cargo area under the floor.
    Last edited by xsundown; 06-07-2013, 10:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied

I figured you had a sundown sub by your name. Just curious what you have and what you are planning for it?

Leave a comment:

• xsundown
    replied

Originally posted by ROTECH View Post
    No worries bout the $20, I offered to pay return shipping and I can cover the $1.97 in resistors . Besides, I don't use paypal. I'm old school by choice.

Please though, pull it together and do that cabinets in the meantime as to avoid wasted effort on all parts.
    I'm waiting on someone to bring the table saw lol. I'm going to have to buy one I suppose. Will be great for the car since I need a box back there to for the sundown subwoofer too. This summer will be fun.

Leave a comment:

• ROTECH
    replied

No worries bout the $20, I offered to pay return shipping and I can cover the $1.97 in resistors . Besides, I don't use paypal. I'm old school by choice.

Please though, pull it together and do that cabinets in the meantime as to avoid wasted effort on all parts.

Leave a comment:

• xsundown
    replied

Originally posted by ROTECH View Post
    Got em covered. Just don't break anything else, I only have 2!!
    PM sent, I'll send you $20 through paypal to cover parts and shipping once I get them back.

Leave a comment:

• ROTECH
    replied

Originally posted by xsundown View Post
    I hope Rotech has 2 4 ohm resistors. I can't do this. It's too damn difficult. So I'll just ship it to Rotech. Thanks Rotech.
    Got em covered. Just don't break anything else, I only have 2!!

Leave a comment:

• xsundown
    replied
    Re: How am I supposed to lay all this out?

Package dropped off at USPS. Expected Delivery date is this Monday. :D There was just no way in hell I'm able to do it. No patience, have no idea where to bridge to have everything right and just connect at the posts to get them to work. Next time I buy speakers, it will be a kit with a assembled crossover lol. Man. I been at this for 2 or 3 days and I give up. Hopefully I'll be able to look at the finished xover from Rotech and kick my self in the **** because it was so easy.

Leave a comment:

• johnastockman
    replied
    Re: How am I supposed to lay all this out?

Unless you're pumping hundreds of watts through it, no worries about things getting too hot. I was completely intimidated by XO diagrams when I first started...might as well be in Greek or Chinese. I layed them out just like the diagram...cap horizontal, coil vertical, etc. They ended up looking like little "ladders" of components, but they worked. I have soldered up XO's for various forum members before, even some guys on the east coast. I'm in Washington state, but there are folks closer to you. I've received a lot of generosity from the guys here and haven't been "screwed over" by anyone...I've been here for over 13 years. I understand your reluctance to ship some parts you just invested in, to someone you don't even know. We're like a family here, a respectable, respectful family. Those that share similar passions, especially speaker designing/building, are good people. I have always sent back soldered up and working XO's to those that wanted some help, and did not ask for any compensation. To alleviate your trepidations, meeting up with someone, and walking through the process would probably be better. That way you can see how it's not as daunting as it seems at first. You can get there, don't give up yet. I've made many solid friendships through my experiences with the forum members. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask ?'s if you're not sure of something.

John A.

Leave a comment:

• turn2
    replied

FWIW, I always leave the component leads bent upward and just concentrate on getting all the parts laid out correctly. You need to think in 3 dimensions if you really want to conserve space. Once I am satisfied with my layout, I attach (or glue) the components to the board, still keeping all leads pointed skyward. It is only after everything is fastened down securely that I ever attempt to twist any leads together, unless the parts are super small or I'm paralleling caps. The only time I have ever broken a lead is when I was DIS-assembling a xo.
    Last edited by turn2; 06-07-2013, 03:56 PM. Reason: sp

Leave a comment:

Working...
X