Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul K.
    replied
    Re: Please STOP. Asking for help (esp. peepaj) ? ? ? ? ? ?

In the hope of being able to help in some small way, I'm attaching a photo that shows the two crossover assemblies I built for my Cavatinas a couple of years ago. The assembly on the right is for the woofer. I used a 4-place terminal strip for both inputs and outputs, with the inputs on the two left locations and outputs on the two right locations. The left assembly is for the midrange and tweeter with 4-place terminal strips used for both the inputs (I always double-up the inputs) and outputs. I cut off the strips as needed with a utility knife and attach them to the base with epoxy. I attach the components with silicon sealant, making as many of the connections as possible using just the component leads, but using solid, 18g wire where necessary.
    Paul
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• xsundown
    replied

I hope Rotech has 2 4 ohm resistors. I can't do this. It's too damn difficult. So I'll just ship it to Rotech. Thanks Rotech.

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Just a quick observation for the OP.

Since you created this thread exactly three days ago, there have been 2346 views. IMO, that speaks volumes.

It speaks volumes about the interest that the forum has in seeing something like this through to fruition.
    It speaks volumes about the interest in how to layout and solder a friggen crossover....because it's not always so easy.
    It shows that there are very likely a lot of new DIY guys out there trying to learn something from your experience.

I think you owe it to yourself to take a chill pill and follow this thing thru to the end. You won't be disappointed and nobody here is going to give up and throw this thread into the garbage.

Have a good weekend.

Leave a comment:

• DannyG
    replied

Looks like the last two pic's of your X-overs are correct they could have been laid out better but that's ok.If the leads are not long enough solder jumper wire's,maybe that's why your breaking leads?

Leave a comment:

• xsundown
    replied

Originally posted by ROTECH View Post
    Wow.

I want to help you so bad but Ming Ya. What are you doing? I'm 6'3" bout 300lbs and I have 2 drawers of my toolbox full of hammers, yet I have never once broke a single lead on any Dayton resistor, or cap. What's goin on there bro?

I responded to your PM but never got so much as a response to if you were going to accept my offer. Guess that means you gonna keep going like this.
    Very supportive bunch here, but some just can't be helped.
    Sorry, I was tired last night and crashed. I'm desoldering some stuff here and I'll send it off to you. If anything I can paypal you for parts that may break.

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

This thread is slowly turning into one of those classic "one star bandit" and "tag fairy" threads....I can sense their presence. It's too bad, because the designer of the build in question did a lot of work to hammer out the final product, but the guy who's trying to replicate it just won't listen to reason and likely will never get a chance to hear the final product. That's a damned shame because there's nothing better than having a new DIY guy complete a build and then marvel at how friggen great it sounds compared to commercial crap.

Leave a comment:

• ROTECH
    replied

Wow.

I want to help you so bad but Ming Ya. What are you doing? I'm 6'3" bout 300lbs and I have 2 drawers of my toolbox full of hammers, yet I have never once broke a single lead on any Dayton resistor, or cap. What's goin on there bro?

I responded to your PM but never got so much as a response to if you were going to accept my offer. Guess that means you gonna keep going like this.
    Very supportive bunch here, but some just can't be helped.

Leave a comment:

• xsundown
    replied

YAY another one just broke off just simply just lifting the xover.

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied
    Re: How am I supposed to lay all this out?

Originally posted by radhaz View Post
    Just read this thread. Amazing amount of support from the members. OP, don't give up yet!

Now, when I get to building the Meniscus XOs for the speedsters, I'll have few probs as they provided a board and a layout sticker to put on the board!
    Easy stuff. Just start a thread or you can PM me for Speedster help.

Leave a comment:

• radhaz
    replied

Just read this thread. Amazing amount of support from the members. OP, don't give up yet!

Now, when I get to building the Meniscus XOs for the speedsters, I'll have few probs as they provided a board and a layout sticker to put on the board!

Leave a comment:

• xsundown
    replied

Originally posted by Mark65 View Post
    Ok. Saturday morning. Not sure how much help I can be over Skype, but I'll give it a shot.

I have some components I can use to mock up a similar looking crossover, even if the values are all different.

Or are you having fun at my expense?:rolleyes:

Mark
    Whenever you have time. It's fine, no need to mock it up. I don't want you breaking resistors D: :D. Definitely not, I forgot all about skype until now. I should have mentioned it earlier.

Leave a comment:

• Mark65
    replied

That's it! Solder it!

Leave a comment:

• xsundown
    replied

Last try for the night.

Leave a comment:

• Mark65
    replied

Ok. Saturday morning. Not sure how much help I can be over Skype, but I'll give it a shot.

I have some components I can use to mock up a similar looking crossover, even if the values are all different.

Or are you having fun at my expense?:rolleyes:

Mark

Leave a comment:

• xsundown
    replied

Originally posted by Mark65 View Post
    Well, hell, dude, I'm like five hours away from you. Just bring all your parts out to Phoenix this weekend, we'll build them together. Now Morongo, that's more like Banning, or Whitewater area, right? Or is it Beaumont?

Seriously, though. For the cost of a couple tanks of gas, I'll build them, AND SHOW YOU HOW.

Mark
    Let's do a skype call. LoL

Leave a comment:

Working...
X