No announcement yet.

How am I supposed to lay all this out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How am I supposed to lay all this out?

Rock on wit ya bad self!
    Glad we lit a fire under yer but

Comment

Originally posted by xsundown View Post
      This may sound like a really dumb question, but with the connections on the back of the board and mounted against the cabinet. Wouldn't the connections get hot and become a potential fire hazard especially right up against the wood? That's my biggest concern, is a fire and always has been with anything electrical. I'm just probably over worrying about it lol. I was thinking about using little risers. Cut some little pieces of wood for each corner of the xover board to raise it from the cabinet.
      I think if you had enough power to heat up the wire that much, you would blow a driver or a cap first. That said, I do use riser blocks, I solder my speaker wires to the back of the boards after all the connections are done. Using risers keeps the wires from getting pinched. It also makes it easy to mount and (if needed) remove the boards. I'll drill holes at the corners, screw some short wood blocks to the board, then I use either wood glue, or high temp hot glue to mount the assembly inside the cabinet. If I ever need to remove it I just unscrew the board, the blocks stay glued in place.
      My modest builds:
      Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
      Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
      Armadillo Center Channel
      Au-Rock-O Sub
      Tarkus
      Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

I'm just probably over worrying about it lol. I was thinking about using little risers. Cut some little pieces of wood for each corner of the xover board to raise it from the cabinet.
        You are "over worrying." Also, don't bother trying to be fancy, especially with your first crossover. Do the connections on top of the board -- it's easier that way. Once you knock a few of these things out, you can get as fancy as you want - connections on back, plexiglass, etc.

I'm sure it has been mentioned before, but get yourself some euro terminal strips and use them for your inputs and driver outputs. You can cut individual sections apart.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ID677_MED.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	1149873

It makes life much easier. This way, if you need to remove the XO boards you won't have to fiddle around with the wires that go to the drivers and the terminal cup. Does that make sense?

If you do not want to mail order them, your local Radio Shack carries them: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103986
        Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Here is the tweeter portion. Idk where to connect that top left 7.5uf cap end to. The solder point of the woofer xover where the 1.30mh and .22uf meet. Or straight to the post. This xover for the tweeter must be terribly wrong. LoL.

Comment

Here is the tweeter portion. Idk where to connect that top left 7.5uf cap end to. The solder point of the woofer xover where the 1.30mh and .22uf meet. Or straight to the post. This xover for the tweeter must be terribly wrong. LoL.
            The only correction is that the 2 ohm resistor after the 4uF cap should also be parallel with the 40 ohm resistor. IOW the 40 ohm resistor should connect where it is at the top, but after the 2 ohm, at the same point with the .22mH on the left side of the 2 ohm. You can use speaker wire as a jumper if you can't figure out how to condense the board.
            HAGD,
            Marc

Even though I try to tell everyone upfront, understand that I am still a Newb. I wish the status of Seasoned Veteran/Senior Member, etc. was earned with time not posts...

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

Comment

Oh and to answer your question, yes that end gets soldered to the positive input just like the woofer circuit.
              HAGD,
              Marc

Even though I try to tell everyone upfront, understand that I am still a Newb. I wish the status of Seasoned Veteran/Senior Member, etc. was earned with time not posts...

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

Comment

Marc is right -- it should go like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	VnBqrsB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	1149879
                Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Here are some things I see on how to condense the board...

1) Stand that .05mH inductor on edge, and turn rotate it 90 degrees, as if it were going to roll over the .22mH
                  2) Swivel the Parallel RLC circuit of 2uF, 6 ohms, and .05 mH under the 20uF cap (right side of this circuit will now connect with the 20uF cap)
                  3) Now place the 4uF cap under that circuit, running sideways (it is vertical now) left side will connect with the RLC (this will also be the positive out to tweeter point)
                  4) Run the 2 ohm resistor sideways under the 4uF cap, Right side will connect with the cap
                  5) Now between the RLC, and the .22Mh inductor, run the 40 ohm resistor vertically. The top will tie in with the RLC (left side), and with the 4uF cap left side

Now the .22mH bottom, the 40 ohm bottom, and the left side of the 2 ohm will all be connected to ground...

Edit:had to correct the inductor values
                  HAGD,
                  Marc

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

Comment

You could wire the + leads from your woofer circuit board and your tweeter circuit board directly to the terminal cup OR you could wire the + leads from the two boards together and then run one lead to the terminal cup. In essence, if you had built this crossover on a single board, you would be tying the + tweeter circuit input to the + woofer circuit input. As far as the grounds, they ALL get tied together for everything. That's why I mentioned using those euro terminal strips or you could also use barrier strips. If you tie all the grounds to a single point, it gets to be pretty big...too big for soldering unless you don't mind a 2" ball of solder...LOL.
                    Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
                      you could wire the + leads from your woofer circuit board and your tweeter circuit board directly to the terminal cup or you could wire the + leads from the two boards together and then run one lead to the terminal cup. In essence, if you had built this crossover on a single board, you would be tying the + tweeter circuit input to the + woofer circuit input. As far as the grounds, they all get tied together for everything. That's why i mentioned using those euro terminal strips or you could also use barrier strips. If you tie all the grounds to a single point, it gets to be pretty big...too big for soldering unless you don't mind a 2" ball of solder...lol.
                      +1 lol :D
                      HAGD,
                      Marc

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

Comment

You could wire the + leads from your woofer circuit board and your tweeter circuit board directly to the terminal cup OR you could wire the + leads from the two boards together and then run one lead to the terminal cup. In essence, if you had built this crossover on a single board, you would be tying the + tweeter circuit input to the + woofer circuit input. As far as the grounds, they ALL get tied together for everything. That's why I mentioned using those euro terminal strips or you could also use barrier strips. If you tie all the grounds to a single point, it gets to be pretty big...too big for soldering unless you don't mind a 2" ball of solder...LOL.
                        How many of those euro terminal strips should I buy? 2? 2 with how many inputs?

Comment

How many of those euro terminal strips should I buy? 2? 2 with how many inputs?
                          The ones I pointed out from Radio Shack have 12 terminals - http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tent=CT2032231

So you could get away with one.

Here's an example of how to use them:

Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

*sigh* I'm going to have dinner and crash for the night. I'm about to just throw everything out of the window.

Comment

*sigh* I'm going to have dinner and crash for the night. I'm about to just throw everything out of the window.
                              Why? You're doing fine. Stop being a big cry baby -- that's MY job!!
                              Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Marc is right -- it should go like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36948[/ATTACH]
                                I'm sitting here at the computer altering the crossover photo furnished by xsundown, all the while figuring that someone else was probably doing the same thing. Sure enough.... I won't post what I did to keep from further confusing things, but it looks a lot like yours

By the way, did anybody mention scraping off the clear coating from the inductor leads where they are to be soldered?
                                Tritrix HT:http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222519
                                Dayton 12" Subwoofer: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222930
                                Overnight Sensations: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=223751
                                Cerberus sub: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=cerebus
                                Duellatis: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224943
                                NTN's: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=227902

Comment

Working...
                                X