No announcement yet.

How am I supposed to lay all this out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How am I supposed to lay all this out?

Originally posted by Soundslike View Post

By the way, did anybody mention scraping off the clear coating from the inductor leads where they are to be soldered?
    I see in his photos that where he's lining up the inductor leads, it's already scraped/tinned. However, that's a really good point, just in case he decides to trim the inductor leads. Good one Ron.
    Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Originally posted by xsundown View Post
      *sigh* I'm going to have dinner and crash for the night. I'm about to just throw everything out of the window.
      Don't get discouraged! You are doing fine! If this is because of my suggestion on how to condense the board, I wasn't saying your layout is wrong, I was only trying to give advice on how to make the board smaller.
      HAGD,
      Marc

Even though I try to tell everyone upfront, understand that I am still a Newb. I wish the status of Seasoned Veteran/Senior Member, etc. was earned with time not posts...

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

Comment

Originally posted by WernerM View Post
        Don't get discouraged! You are doing fine! If this is because of my suggestion on how to condense the board, I wasn't saying your layout is wrong, I was only trying to give advice on how to make the board smaller.
        Oh no. It's because I thought I had everything but forgot those terminals. Just another day wasted by my noobness. :D I just need some sleep. Been at this all day. My head is full of coils and cardboard right now lol.

Comment

Oh no. It's because I thought I had everything but forgot those terminals. Just another day wasted by my noobness. :D
          Just to be clear you don't NEED those terminals. They just make things a bit easier IMO. You could use wire nuts if you want, or you could solder everything to each point, including the drivers and the terminal cups. It's up to you. Here's the rub. If you make a mistake and you've soldered everything, it's much harder to desolder and correct the mistake....that's all. Thinking proactively on your behalf.
          Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

They're neat, but you don't have to have them. I used them on my first xo, then never again, because by the time I get around to building the xo I've lost all patience and just solder it all together on top of the board. I have pretty much given up on neat,I just want them to work. I do make them small, though, so they'll fit easier, because I have been doing pretty small boxes.
            You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by Mark65 View Post
              I have been doing pretty small boxes.
              Good for you, mate!!! ;)
              Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

*sigh* I'm going to have dinner and crash for the night. I'm about to just throw everything out of the window.
                Oh no. It's because I thought I had everything but forgot those terminals. Just another day wasted by my noobness. :D I just need some sleep. Been at this all day. My head is full of coils and cardboard right now lol.
                Dont let all these perfectionists with their pretty crossovers get you confused, no one is going to see the inside of your speaker. All that matters is that the layout is correct.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130513_204840_resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	519.0 KB
ID:	1149881
                (yes I reused old boards)

No shame :D
                http://jaysspeakerpage.weebly.com/

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
                  Depth of the slot port including the front baffle. The box is 10"deep internal.
                  Then the slot is (0.5" x 6.5") x 9.5" deep, according to your estimates. It's only 13:1.

FWIW- I don't think I would sweat it. Sounds like a decent idea to me.
                  Later,
                  Wolf
                  "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                  "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                  "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                  http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Re: Please STOP. Asking for help (esp. peepaj) ? ? ? ? ? ?

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                    The high pass filter SEEMS like the cap/coil/cap "T" is OK, but the LCR looks like it would drop the Silky way down on the top end, to the tune of -3dB @ 11kHz, -6 @ 14k, and -8dB by 20kHz. I'd skip it (OR, build it in there with a jumper across it, so it can easily be defeated if need be). Chris
                    IMO, I think this LCR will provide a dip between about 8 and 12kHz, and go back up to 20k; as far as transfer functions go. The CR 'zobel' is to tilt down the very topend, and the 40uF is for level.
                    This is to address a peak in the passband, and then a dip that rises above the bump. I don't recall what the Silkie looks like up there, but the measurements show peeps did his homework.

Later,
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• Re: Please STOP. Asking for help (esp. peepaj) ? ? ? ? ? ?

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                      The high pass filter SEEMS like the cap/coil/cap "T" is OK, but the LCR looks like it would drop the Silky way down on the top end, to the tune of -3dB @ 11kHz, -6 @ 14k, and -8dB by 20kHz. I'd skip it (OR, build it in there with a jumper across it, so it can easily be defeated if need be). Has this filter ever been used before? Anyone else want to try modeling it? Am I doing something wrong here?

Chris
                      I just finished an active 2 way using the DC28F-8 and a miniDSP. This tweeter has a peak around 16k that even my old ears can hear because it brings up the 12k to 15k. Once tamed, they sound good. I wound up using -4db at 16.5 kHz (Q=3). L2 C5 R3 looks like about -5dB at 15.9kHz. I would say that looks about right.

Marc

Comment

I have the terminals now and have no idea where to put them.

Comment

Nevermind, looks like I'm pising people off with the questions since someone changed the title. Bye.

Comment

• How am I supposed to lay all this out?

No, no. Come back. Everything is cool. We want to help you get started. We will get you through this.

I misinterpreted the title the same as you. I went back and now I understand the title change. Chris Roemer was not saying stop asking for help. He wanted you to hold on for a minute, while he asked for help from the original crossover designer. I didn't notice the title change when I posted a reply, or I would have changed it back.

Marc
                            Last edited by msibilia; 06-06-2013, 03:26 PM. Reason: forgot to change title back

Comment

• Re: How am I supposed to lay all this out?

It's impossible getting all this crap on this little board. I have to bridge grounds from one corner to the other, same for positive. I'm done.

Comment

• Re: How am I supposed to lay all this out?

xsundown.Dont give up someone will help you,I don't know how to post a scematic or I would help you hang on if my nephew is around I will see if he can help.

Comment

Working...
                                X