Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WernerM
    replied
    Re: How am I supposed to lay all this out?

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
    you could wire the + leads from your woofer circuit board and your tweeter circuit board directly to the terminal cup or you could wire the + leads from the two boards together and then run one lead to the terminal cup. In essence, if you had built this crossover on a single board, you would be tying the + tweeter circuit input to the + woofer circuit input. As far as the grounds, they all get tied together for everything. That's why i mentioned using those euro terminal strips or you could also use barrier strips. If you tie all the grounds to a single point, it gets to be pretty big...too big for soldering unless you don't mind a 2" ball of solder...lol.
    +1 lol :D

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

You could wire the + leads from your woofer circuit board and your tweeter circuit board directly to the terminal cup OR you could wire the + leads from the two boards together and then run one lead to the terminal cup. In essence, if you had built this crossover on a single board, you would be tying the + tweeter circuit input to the + woofer circuit input. As far as the grounds, they ALL get tied together for everything. That's why I mentioned using those euro terminal strips or you could also use barrier strips. If you tie all the grounds to a single point, it gets to be pretty big...too big for soldering unless you don't mind a 2" ball of solder...LOL.

Leave a comment:

• WernerM
    replied

Here are some things I see on how to condense the board...

1) Stand that .05mH inductor on edge, and turn rotate it 90 degrees, as if it were going to roll over the .22mH
    2) Swivel the Parallel RLC circuit of 2uF, 6 ohms, and .05 mH under the 20uF cap (right side of this circuit will now connect with the 20uF cap)
    3) Now place the 4uF cap under that circuit, running sideways (it is vertical now) left side will connect with the RLC (this will also be the positive out to tweeter point)
    4) Run the 2 ohm resistor sideways under the 4uF cap, Right side will connect with the cap
    5) Now between the RLC, and the .22Mh inductor, run the 40 ohm resistor vertically. The top will tie in with the RLC (left side), and with the 4uF cap left side

Now the .22mH bottom, the 40 ohm bottom, and the left side of the 2 ohm will all be connected to ground...

Edit:had to correct the inductor values

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Marc is right -- it should go like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	VnBqrsB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	1149879

Leave a comment:

• WernerM
    replied

Oh and to answer your question, yes that end gets soldered to the positive input just like the woofer circuit.

Leave a comment:

• WernerM
    replied

Originally posted by xsundown View Post
    Here is the tweeter portion. Idk where to connect that top left 7.5uf cap end to. The solder point of the woofer xover where the 1.30mh and .22uf meet. Or straight to the post. This xover for the tweeter must be terribly wrong. LoL.
    The only correction is that the 2 ohm resistor after the 4uF cap should also be parallel with the 40 ohm resistor. IOW the 40 ohm resistor should connect where it is at the top, but after the 2 ohm, at the same point with the .22mH on the left side of the 2 ohm. You can use speaker wire as a jumper if you can't figure out how to condense the board.

Leave a comment:

• xsundown
    replied

Here is the tweeter portion. Idk where to connect that top left 7.5uf cap end to. The solder point of the woofer xover where the 1.30mh and .22uf meet. Or straight to the post. This xover for the tweeter must be terribly wrong. LoL.

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

I'm just probably over worrying about it lol. I was thinking about using little risers. Cut some little pieces of wood for each corner of the xover board to raise it from the cabinet.
    You are "over worrying." Also, don't bother trying to be fancy, especially with your first crossover. Do the connections on top of the board -- it's easier that way. Once you knock a few of these things out, you can get as fancy as you want - connections on back, plexiglass, etc.

I'm sure it has been mentioned before, but get yourself some euro terminal strips and use them for your inputs and driver outputs. You can cut individual sections apart.

Name:	ID677_MED.jpg
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	1149873

It makes life much easier. This way, if you need to remove the XO boards you won't have to fiddle around with the wires that go to the drivers and the terminal cup. Does that make sense?

If you do not want to mail order them, your local Radio Shack carries them: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103986

Leave a comment:

• bolland83
    replied

This may sound like a really dumb question, but with the connections on the back of the board and mounted against the cabinet. Wouldn't the connections get hot and become a potential fire hazard especially right up against the wood? That's my biggest concern, is a fire and always has been with anything electrical. I'm just probably over worrying about it lol. I was thinking about using little risers. Cut some little pieces of wood for each corner of the xover board to raise it from the cabinet.
    I think if you had enough power to heat up the wire that much, you would blow a driver or a cap first. That said, I do use riser blocks, I solder my speaker wires to the back of the boards after all the connections are done. Using risers keeps the wires from getting pinched. It also makes it easy to mount and (if needed) remove the boards. I'll drill holes at the corners, screw some short wood blocks to the board, then I use either wood glue, or high temp hot glue to mount the assembly inside the cabinet. If I ever need to remove it I just unscrew the board, the blocks stay glued in place.

Leave a comment:

• ROTECH
    replied

Rock on wit ya bad self!
    Glad we lit a fire under yer but

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Nice photoshop skills lol.
    Um, I had to use MS Paint since I'm at work. If I was at home, I could do your entire XO in photoshop and it would actually look pretty good. ;)

Leave a comment:

• xsundown
    replied

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
    Electricity doesn't care if it needs to make a turn or two. You can reposition the woofer circuit components so they are much closer to each other, resulting in a much smaller board.

For example, pull that bottom resistor towards the left so it's right under the coil and perpendicular to the large cap (at a right angle). This will make your board half the size...LOL.

Sort of like this, but you can make it even tighter.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36939[/ATTACH]
    Nice photoshop skills lol.

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

When you do the tweeter circuit, do it in sections and then tie the sections together.

For example...

Working from left to right --

Make the T with the 7.5uf cap, 0.22mh coil and 20uf cap. That's section 1.

Do the LCR with the 2uf cap, 6ohm resistor and .05mh coil -- you will tie all three components in parallel with each other, sort of creating a single component. That's section 2.

Do the 4uf cap + 2ohm resistor. That's section 3.

The final 40ohm resistor is section 4.

Now just connect the sections, keeping in mind that section 2 (the LCR) will go in series between section 1 and section 3.

Wow...I just confused myself. :eek:

Leave a comment:

• xsundown
    replied

Originally posted by bolland83 View Post
    That is a lot of parts! The good news is, if you stick with it you can do it. I'm sure your next build will be much easier having tackled this one. It really is just a puzzle, like all puzzles it takes practice. Here's a few crossovers I've built, ranging from neat freak to compact, and a layout for one I did using two boards. Not trying to make your head spin, just giving you some ideas. The ground point seems to be something that first timers get confused about a lot, it is just a common connection between components. It can be one spot, or several places connected by speaker wire depending on the layout. Once you can wrap your head around how that works, the rest is just connect the dots. Then if you want it to look neat and tidy, fold it up and make it compact. I usually start just like you are, do one filter at a time just like the schematic. Then I figure out how to fold it up neatly, and I do the other filter the same way. Once I have that, I figure out what the common connections are, I try to put my ground points close together and my inputs from the amp close together. After much obsessing, and re-arranging, and double and triple checking the signal path with the schematic, I eventually get it all together. That's my method, and I'll admit, it's overkill after step one, but it's good practice and I enjoy a good puzzle now and again. The key is the signal path, if you lay it out and wire it up just like the schematic, it will work. Everything after that is just a matter of how pretty or compact you want it to be.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]36926[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]36927[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]36928[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]36929[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]36930[/ATTACH]
    This may sound like a really dumb question, but with the connections on the back of the board and mounted against the cabinet. Wouldn't the connections get hot and become a potential fire hazard especially right up against the wood? That's my biggest concern, is a fire and always has been with anything electrical. I'm just probably over worrying about it lol. I was thinking about using little risers. Cut some little pieces of wood for each corner of the xover board to raise it from the cabinet.

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Thank you very much kind sir. I'm definitely going to do a separate board first. If I can move things around then that's wonderful. I thought it had to be like this lol. That tweeter schematic scares the living daylight out of me. I'll give it a go later tonight.
    Electricity doesn't care if it needs to make a turn or two. You can reposition the woofer circuit components so they are much closer to each other, resulting in a much smaller board.

For example, pull that bottom resistor towards the left so it's right under the coil and perpendicular to the large cap (at a right angle). This will make your board half the size...LOL.

Sort of like this, but you can make it even tighter.

Name:	Untitled.png
Size:	723.0 KB
ID:	1149872

Leave a comment:

Working...
X