Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xsundown
    replied
    Re: How am I supposed to lay all this out?

Originally posted by peepaj View Post
    xsundown, those look really good. I just hope they sound as good as they look. A lot better than my first pair turned out.
    Question what type of paint did you use?
    Sorry, thought I answered everything. :( I used some rustoleum primer, rusto flat black paint as second layer since the primer was white, then sprayed with rusto stone texture gray out of a spray can. I painted it all at night and rushed through it sadly. Forgot to roundover the edges too. :| I still use them and are great. I can't stand listening to the small dayton's anymore. I have the daytons on the back wall and center and just cringe when I turn them on. Thank you very much for the part list.

I'd recommend using the stone texture grey over grey primer. using the stone texture over white or black was awful and had to use more stone texture to cover it up, also causing the stone texture to be too much and wasn't as ruff/stoney as I'd like. It came out more smooth which I don't like. I was going for the same texture/roughness as on the spray can cap.

Leave a comment:

• peepaj
    replied

here you are.
    http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...1/2-wool-cone/

Leave a comment:

• ROTECH
    replied

They came out great. I like the placement.
    Also glad your happy with the sound. It would be a great way to use the last few dc28's I have left.
    Can you link the woofer up here again?

Leave a comment:

• peepaj
    replied

xsundown, those look really good. I just hope they sound as good as they look. A lot better than my first pair turned out.
    Question what type of paint did you use?

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied

Xsundown, they look real good. and I like the way you mounted them as well, saves desk space for hard drives and such.

The big question, though. Do you think you would try to build crossovers for your next set of speakers after dealing with these? I'm just trying to ascertain just how hard this was for you, I know sometimes a task may just be too hard to complete. Example, right now I'm back in college and am in the midst of a tough math class; there are just some things I can't seem to get my brain to understand no matter how hard I try or how many examples I see or watch on video. Just wondering if this was like that for you, or did the light bulb come on... Because after having success with one speaker project, it seems to usually lead to another!

Either way, they look great and you have a kicking good set of computer speakers! I'm glad it worked out in the end.

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• xsundown
    replied

Finished.

Leave a comment:

• peepaj
    replied

X, after everything you went through to make this happen I’m really glad you like them. I know the grandkids and stepdaughter like them although with the grandkids helping to build them and get to take them home was all they needed, being 9 and 10 I don’t think they cared what they sounded like. A quick question, because I’m somewhat of a smart a$$ are you going to start a new thread with the finished speakers called “The dumpster diver build”?
    I hope you know I’m teasing :D. And can’t to see the finished photos.

Leave a comment:

• xsundown
    replied

Originally posted by Psycoacoustics View Post
    So now we need to teach you how to use a flush trim router bit!

Glad your happy! See,,,, dis ain't such a bad bunch! Enjoy, Mark
    They are flush. :D

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU, Completely forgot about doing the roundover until I had already started painted it. I'll just have to deal with it. Rushed the fill, primer, paint in a few hours before it got dark out. Just now finished spraying them. I went with the texture because the seams were bothering me. If anything, I'll get a spray gun, drop in the flat black and spray over this.

Good enough. At least I sealed the outside of the box. LoL
    [IMG][/IMG]
    :o

I ain't done yet. One last little thing I'll do tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

X-- that's a very interesting listening space. So happy to hear that this worked out for you.

FYI - I got a peek at the XO's before they were sent to you. Ryan, as always, did a fantastic job on the build.

Here's a look at his contribution:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2278.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	653.1 KB
ID:	1150035

Leave a comment:

• Psycoacoustics
    replied

Originally posted by xsundown View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    So now we need to teach you how to use a flush trim router bit!

Glad your happy! See,,,, dis ain't such a bad bunch! Enjoy, Mark

Leave a comment:

• ROTECH
    replied

I'm up in the mountains, thus on my phone. I had texted him a pic of one xo as I was building, let's see if he can post it. Otherwise I can on Sunday.

Leave a comment:

• Mark65
    replied

Did you get a pic of the xo before you put the speakers together? Or if not, did you, Ryan?

I'm very interested to see how the xo that caused all this fuss turned out in the end...:D

And those boxes look fine, no worries there. Really glad to hear that they do for you all that we said they would.

Mark

Leave a comment:

• xsundown
    replied

[IMG][/IMG]

Leave a comment:

• xsundown
    replied
    Re: Please STOP. Asking for help (esp. peepaj) ? ? ? ? ? ?

Thanks to Peepaj for the xover design, and Rotech for building them for me. Words can not simply describe the joy I'm getting out of these speakers. The Sound is very excellent even with not the greatest built cabinets I made lol.

I'm excited to say that now voices have bass in the videos I watch. Before, with the Dayton satellites, or Logitech Z5500 satellites, the only bass would come from the subwoofer. Now that I have a proper set of speakers in my room for the first time, It's a new adventure going back and listening to the songs I have heard before, even new ones. I'm not one to say I hear new sounds or sounds I've never heard before just by getting new speakers. With these though, the clarity of every note, either it be vocals, guitar, or wind. It's sounds so lifelike.

I was expecting to just have a set of bookshelves, with cheap speakers I bought and would sound hollow, but better then those little Dayton's. NOPE! No hollowness what so ever. The tweeter and midrange blend in very well together with these speakers. They even produce just about the same, if not, more bass then my subwoofer on a Dayton 120w amp with the gain at 2 o clock. Now I have to get a new sub amp because these bookshelves are making my Sundown sub look like a child. I'm listening to them right as I speak and honestly. The best speakers I've ever heard compared to $200 car audio speakers that I've had in my car installs.

The silver flute is excellent to me, the tweeter as well. I can't stop listening to them. I still don't know if the bass is coming from my sub or bookshelves now. LOL They all blend in very well with each other. Everything about these bookshelves is amazing. I've never heard higher end speakers before as I always tried to stay in a budget of $200-300 when doing audio stuff. So for me, in this price range, it's the best sound I have ever heard.

Peepaj, you have a very nice xover there. I hope some others can follow it and try this out if they're looking to do their first speaker design on a budget. I think they would be very happy with the final product.
    Rotech, thank you for your help and building the xover. I would have never had this finished if it wasn't for people like yourself and others here. Extremely helpful community here by everyone. Thank you all for the help and suggestions.

Simply put, best money I've spent on anything audio related.
    PS, I put on some rain/thunderstorm audio off youtube last night as I went to bed. LOL sounds so real and relaxing.

Leave a comment:

• hoosiercheetah
    replied
    Re: Please STOP. Asking for help (esp. peepaj) ? ? ? ? ? ?

Originally posted by xsundown View Post
    Thanks, anything I should know about before I tackle the cabinet? I'm just going to cut the sizes I need, gorilla glue and nail it, might caulk the corners inside, put some foam in there from left overs from a dayton audio powered subwoofer, insert my binding posts, roundover the front edges and call it done. I think the cabinets would be the easiest thing. I have a router that I was practicing with the other day so cutting the circles shouldn't be much of a problem. Oh and I have some sealer/primer, and some paint.
    I don't know what your experience level is with MDF - before my first speaker build I hadn't worked with it. I found this guide incredibly usefull:

http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/FAQ/MDF/

Oh, and I've heard a few people say they prefer titebond and the like over gorilla glue for speaker cabs, though the reasons why escape me... probably just a personal preference thing.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X